Royal International Air Tattoo (RIAT) 2020 - CANCELLED

Discussion relating to 2020 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
n33d4sp33d_85

Royal International Air Tattoo (RIAT) 2020 - CANCELLED

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:57 am

Royal International Air Tattoo (RIAT) 2020
July 17-19
RAF Fairford
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
https://www.airtattoo.com/

Flying
Patrouille Suisse [F-5E Tiger II x 6] - Swiss Air Force
F-16AM Fighting Falcon Demo - Belgian Air Component
F-16AM Fighting Falcon Demo - Royal Danish Air Force
F-16C Fighting Falcon Demo - Polish Air Force
F-16C Fighting Falcon Demo - United States Air Force
F/A-18C Hornet Demo - Swiss Air Force
Tutor T1 Demo - Royal Air Force
AW.159 Wildcat HM2 - Royal Navy
P-51 Mustang - United States Air Force Heritage Flight Foundation

Static
Challenger 604 - Royal Danish Air Force
Sea Lynx Mk.88/88A - German Navy
P-3C Orion - German Navy
AW.159 Wildcat HM2 - Royal Navy
Merlin HM2 - Royal Navy
Hawk T1 - Royal Navy
Avenger T1 - Royal Navy
C-130K Hercules - Austrian Air Force
ERJ-135LR - Belgian Air Component
S102B Korpen - Swedish Air Force
S100D Argus ISR - Swedish Air Force

Updated As Of 3/12/20, 9:34 PM EST
Last edited by n33d4sp33d_85 on Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:34 pm, edited 12 times in total.
0 x

Flightline Uk

Post by Flightline Uk » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:04 pm

Tickets now on sale : https://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/visiting/airshow-tickets

Interesting new ticket price structure with current prices as:

Friday - £44 (until 31st Jan - Full Price £54)
Saturday - £54 (Limited Numbers - Full Price £59)
Sunday - £49 (until 31st Jan - Full Price £59)
1 x

mstares

Post by mstares » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:11 pm

On the fence about this year. Have done 6 of the last 7 years, and each year I have been rewarded by an awesome spectacle even in the one or two 'off' years I have attended. See my posts in previous year's thread at the sheer jaw dropping scope of a RIAT line up compared to North American shows.

The projected chaos, however, for a tourist in Britain if Brexit goes ahead, plus the possible impact on the lineup due to political fallout have me wavering.

On the upside, the pound may well end up in the toilet relative to the Canadian dollar making the trip across the pond that much less expensive.

Of course if I choose to look elsewhere this year, this will be the year that the new air ops director scores some major coup - Japanese Phantoms on a pharewell world tour 8-)

[Disclaimer - I am not wading in to the political argument of whether, long term, Brexit will be a positive for the UK - but the aftermath is a legitimate concern for the tourist]

Cheers

Mark
0 x

Flightline Uk

Post by Flightline Uk » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:43 am

Mark, you are certainly not alone with those thoughts. Speaking some European enthusiasts at Sanicole last week, they were not looking to attend RIAT 2020. The current uncertainty in the UK is certainly one factor, but the costs of attending are another. It's not just the admission costs, but also travel and accommodation within the UK that is hurting RIAT.

This year, RIAT certainly had less interest from European visitors from both individuals and coach operators. I suspect that trend will continue this year.

Participation wise, I'm not sure the B-word is such a factor - or at least that was the case in 2019.
Last edited by Flightline Uk on Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Flightline Uk

Post by Flightline Uk » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:42 am

Tickets for next summer's Royal International Air Tattoo have gone on sale, with special discounts available for a limited period.

The airshow, which this year attracted 245 aircraft and around 170,000 visitors, will turn the spotlight on the world's fighter pilots and the vital role they perform in protecting national - and international - security around the clock and at a moment's notice.

Taking place at RAF Fairford on July 17-19, 2020, the airshow will once again feature two full show days on the Saturday and Sunday, with more than seven hours' flying on each day, with a preview highlights day on the Friday featuring a four-hour display.

An Air Tattoo spokesman said: "With next year marking the 80th anniversary of the Battle of Britain it's an ideal time to focus on the aircraft and pilots whom many consider aviation's 'elite'."

Friday tickets are currently priced at £44, a saving of £10 on the full advance price; a limited number of Saturday tickets are being made available priced £54, a saving of £5 on the full advance price while Sunday tickets are currently priced £49, offering a saving of £10.

The spokesman said: "Tickets for each of the three days of this year's airshow were priced the same and the feedback we received was that ticket prices for Friday and Sunday should have been cheaper than for the more popular Saturday.
"We are committed to ensuring the flying display programmes on Saturday and Sunday are as similar as possible.

Nevertheless, we are keen to encourage people to attend on the Sunday simply because of the overwhelming demand we experience for Saturday which sells out early every year."

Multi-day discounts will continue to be offered as will free parking and free entry for all under-18s who attend with an adult ticket holder.
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:47 pm

Fair play to DBH, I think the new ticket structure is quite imaginative and definitely a good move.
0 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:01 am

0 x

Nighthawk117

Post by Nighthawk117 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:53 pm

I'm slowly starting to plan my dream trip, going to RIAT in 2021. I would like to know your experiences to organize this kind of trip. I took a lot of information from the RIAT official website, but I would like to know if you know websites or blogs of people who tell their stories about RIAT and how to organize this type of trip? Thanks!
0 x
Look at your six, It's me!!!

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:26 pm

Nighthawk117 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:53 pm I'm slowly starting to plan my dream trip, going to RIAT in 2021. I would like to know your experiences to organize this kind of trip. I took a lot of information from the RIAT official website, but I would like to know if you know websites or blogs of people who tell their stories about RIAT and how to organize this type of trip? Thanks!
RIAT 2021 BABY! That's my plan also as I believe the dates don't conflict with Oshkosh that year. Trying to get as many friends on board as I can
1 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Bingofuel

Post by Bingofuel » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:58 pm

Nighthawk117 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:53 pm I'm slowly starting to plan my dream trip, going to RIAT in 2021. I would like to know your experiences to organize this kind of trip. I took a lot of information from the RIAT official website, but I would like to know if you know websites or blogs of people who tell their stories about RIAT and how to organize this type of trip? Thanks!
Good stuff...RIAT is incredible. Getting to Fairford isn't that hard. Fly to Heathrow...Take the bus or Train to Swindon. Uber or Taxi or Shuttle to Fairford. Much like Oshkosh bring a comfy par of shoes...You're gonna walk miles and miles.

I've been twice now 2013 and 2018. I'd say definitely choose a FRIAT enclosure package if you're going for AERIAL photography purposes. You get bleacher seating and the view looking down on the runway is amazing for photos. You get your own section with washrooms and a few food trucks all within the enclosure, so its pretty gucci. Can be pricey though.

As I'm not an avid photographer I decided in 2018 to choose the Garden Viewing Village. Cheaper but still an enclosure with provided chairs and close to everything. Much more relaxed atmosphere in there compared to FRIAT. FRIAT can be cramped and busy. Viewing Village has the option to also choose bleacher seating (But it's set back farther from the runway than the FRIAT stands). Otherwise the VV grass seating is quite spacious and comfortable.

***and did I mention they provide lawn chairs?*** Keep in mind travelling from Canada or the US you probably don't want to pack a folding chair with you. Or else you can purchase a chair at the show or at a store in Swindon the nearby city.

2013 I stayed in the town of Swindon and used the airshow shuttle each day to get to Fairford. Not a bad way to go, but the hotels drastically raise their prices for RIAT week. 2018 I decided to camp using Tangerine Fields. This is the official show campground right beside the Airfield. Paid extra to have a tent/mattress/sheets all pre setup for me when I got there. Amazing proximity to the show entrance and a good time with other Aviation Nerds in the campground with you. Albeit cold showers at times and VERY limited food options...but it's camping after all.

Whatever you do...Make sure you get the Pre-show and Departure day tickets. The Friday arrival day 2018 was easily the most amazing and varied day of Airshow insanity I've ever experienced. The show itself is fantastic but for aviation nerds the arrival days are the gems of the week 8-)

Feel free to PM me if you guys have any questions.
Last edited by Bingofuel on Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 x

Return to “2020 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”