MCAS Cherry Point Air Show 2020 (CANCELED)

Discussion relating to 2020 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
n33d4sp33d_85

MCAS Cherry Point Air Show 2020 (CANCELED)

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:50 am

MCAS Cherry Point Air Show 2020
May 1st-3rd
MCAS Cherry Point, North Carolina
http://www.cherrypointairshow.com/

Featuring
- US Navy Blue Angels
- US Army SOC Black Daggers
- USAF F-22 Raptor Demo (Cancelled)
- USAF Heritage Flight (F-22/P-51) (Cancelled)
- USMC AV-8B Harrier II Demo
- USMC F-35B Lightning II Demo
- USMC Air-Ground Task Force Demo
- AeroShell Aerobatic Team
- Hubie Tolson (Su-26)
- Rob Holland (MXS-RH)
- Nathan Hammond (Super Chipmunk)
- Randy Ball (MiG-17)
- Bob Carlton (Super Salto Jet Sailplane and SubSonex Microjet)
- Greg Shelton (FM-2 Wildcat and 450 Super Stearman)
- Mark Murphy (P-51D Mustang "Never Miss" and F4U Corsair "Godspeed")
- Shockwave Jet Truck

Updated As Of 3/13/20
Last edited by RyanS on Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:37 pm, edited 13 times in total.
0 x

awal2049

Post by awal2049 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:28 am

New additions following ICAS announcements:

Performers:
F-22 Raptor Demo Team
AeroShell Aerobatic Team
Hubie Tolson SU-31

Static Displays:
Marine Air Ground Task Force
2nd MAW Band
AH-1W Super Cobra
AV-8B Harrier
CH-53E Super Stallion
F-35B Lightning
F/A-18 Hornet
KC-130J Hercules
MQ-21 Blackjack
MV-22B Osprey
UH-1Y Venom
7-Ton MTVR
Abrams M1A1
Humvee
LAV-25
M-31 MCEAGS
M777
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:22 am

Did we mention Premium Seating is on sale at early bird rates? Get your seats now before prices go up! Visit https://CherryPointAirShow.com for more details about the show!
https://www.facebook.com/TheAirShow/pos ... &__tn__=-R
0 x

Airplanefreak2000

Post by Airplanefreak2000 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:33 pm

These guys put on a fantastic show! Can’t wait to cover this one!
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:21 am

Did you know? The Box Seat section is located in front of the bleachers, right on the flightline and is available in groups of 10s, 6s and 4s. Once purchased, your seats are yours for the day. You may come and go as you please and never lose your seat. Reserved chairs included. The box seat section usually sells out first! Reserve your Box Seats today!
0 x

EricP

Post by EricP » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:38 am

I am going to be attending the MCAS Cherry Point airshow for the first time ever. Hotel is booked and other arrangements to follow, but I wanted to reach out and see if anyone can provide any specifics regarding the show itself. More specifically, I am curious about:

1. Arrival times to the show i.e. how early should I arrive and line up before the gates open (no schedule posted as of yet)
2. Parking - It's free and it seems like they shuttle you from parking to where the show is based on the FAQs, but maybe there is parking closer where you just walk in?
3. Security - I am a photographer and from the allowable items it doesn't sound like camera gear in a backpack will be a problem.
4. Seating - It sounds as though the crowd line is pretty long and it won't be hard to get a seat on the fence line, but I am curious as to where the best vantage point would be or if it is good everywhere. Is it necessary to purchase/sit in the grandstands?

I see what's on the website, but just thought I would check for some real world experiences. Any info you can provide is much appreciated!
1 x
Eric P.

awal2049

Post by awal2049 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:38 pm

EricP wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:38 am I am going to be attending the MCAS Cherry Point airshow for the first time ever. Hotel is booked and other arrangements to follow, but I wanted to reach out and see if anyone can provide any specifics regarding the show itself. More specifically, I am curious about:

1. Arrival times to the show i.e. how early should I arrive and line up before the gates open (no schedule posted as of yet)
2. Parking - It's free and it seems like they shuttle you from parking to where the show is based on the FAQs, but maybe there is parking closer where you just walk in?
3. Security - I am a photographer and from the allowable items it doesn't sound like camera gear in a backpack will be a problem.
4. Seating - It sounds as though the crowd line is pretty long and it won't be hard to get a seat on the fence line, but I am curious as to where the best vantage point would be or if it is good everywhere. Is it necessary to purchase/sit in the grandstands?

I see what's on the website, but just thought I would check for some real world experiences. Any info you can provide is much appreciated!
As a regular attendee, here is my input:

1. The traffic in the morning isn't that bad if you get there early. I believe gates open at 8 for this one, so if you get there between 8-9 you should get in pretty quickly. It's the traffic leaving in the afternoon that's bad (Also, so is the Friday evening traffic if you decide to do that). My advice is stay late, meet the Blue Angels, and peruse the statics until they kick you out. Then, the lot will have emptied out a bit.
2. In past years, runway 5R/23L has been the parking lot. If you get there early and park near the front, it's literally a 2 minute walk to the security checkpoint. The buses run up and down the runway, but if you're early there is no need.
3. Security is pretty lax relatively. That said, expect the camera bags to be thoroughly searched. I dont think they have imposed any lense size restrictions in the past.
4. There are places to the left and the right of seating where you can be right up on the line without paying for seating. In my opinion, the view is not the best. To the left end, you'll be near the performers, so you can see them starting up/taxiing for some bonus coverage. Typically, the F-22s/AeroShell are on the left end, and the F-35s are on the right (I don't recommend being on this end. Listening the the F-35s sit idle for 30 minutes that close can really mess with your ears). You can also watch from the parking lot, which is to the far far right. No speakers so just jet noise if that's you're thing. While it's not ideal, the bleachers are a really great deal. $15 for an elevated spotting point and private restrooms.

Note: all of this is assuming the show layout is the same as it usually is. HOWEVER, there is a lot of construction happening on the flight line currently as the EA-6B Prowler facilities are being replaced with F-35 facilities. I certainly hope this will not impact the show, but there is a chance it will move the crowd/parking lot locations like it did at the Beaufort Air Show last year.

Hope this helps
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:24 am

Bob Carlton to perform in both the Super Salto Jet Sailplane and the SubSonex Microjet.
0 x

EricP

Post by EricP » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:27 am

awal2049 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:38 pm
EricP wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:38 am I am going to be attending the MCAS Cherry Point airshow for the first time ever. Hotel is booked and other arrangements to follow, but I wanted to reach out and see if anyone can provide any specifics regarding the show itself. More specifically, I am curious about:

As a regular attendee, here is my input:

1. The traffic in the morning isn't that bad if you get there early. I believe gates open at 8 for this one, so if you get there between 8-9 you should get in pretty quickly. It's the traffic leaving in the afternoon that's bad (Also, so is the Friday evening traffic if you decide to do that). My advice is stay late, meet the Blue Angels, and peruse the statics until they kick you out. Then, the lot will have emptied out a bit.
2. In past years, runway 5R/23L has been the parking lot. If you get there early and park near the front, it's literally a 2 minute walk to the security checkpoint. The buses run up and down the runway, but if you're early there is no need.
3. Security is pretty lax relatively. That said, expect the camera bags to be thoroughly searched. I dont think they have imposed any lense size restrictions in the past.
4. There are places to the left and the right of seating where you can be right up on the line without paying for seating. In my opinion, the view is not the best. To the left end, you'll be near the performers, so you can see them starting up/taxiing for some bonus coverage. Typically, the F-22s/AeroShell are on the left end, and the F-35s are on the right (I don't recommend being on this end. Listening the the F-35s sit idle for 30 minutes that close can really mess with your ears). You can also watch from the parking lot, which is to the far far right. No speakers so just jet noise if that's you're thing. While it's not ideal, the bleachers are a really great deal. $15 for an elevated spotting point and private restrooms.

Note: all of this is assuming the show layout is the same as it usually is. HOWEVER, there is a lot of construction happening on the flight line currently as the EA-6B Prowler facilities are being replaced with F-35 facilities. I certainly hope this will not impact the show, but there is a chance it will move the crowd/parking lot locations like it did at the Beaufort Air Show last year.

Hope this helps
Thanks awal2049! That does help. So as far as seating, it doesn't sound like there is a really great spot to sit. The fence line is kind of a pick your poison and the bleachers are not ideal either. The elevated seat sounds appealing, but I don't want it to cause others problems trying to take pics. If you are in the back row, it would minimize this though.
0 x
Eric P.

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:08 am

Good Morning Air Show Fans! We are under 90 days away and plans are coming together for the biggest, baddest air show happening May 1-3. Premium Seating is on sale at early bird rates. Get your Premium Seating now!
0 x

Return to “2020 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”