Westfield International Air Show 2021 [CANCELLED]

Discussion relating to 2021 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
n33d4sp33d_85

Westfield International Air Show 2021 [CANCELLED]

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:31 am

Westfield International Air Show 2021
August 14th and 15th
Barnes ANGB,
Westfield, Massachusetts
https://www.westfieldairshow.org/

Featuring
USAF Thunderbirds
US Army Golden Knights
USAF F-15 Eagles Flybys
GEICO Skytypers - SNJ Texan x 6
Michael Goulian - Extra 330SC
Greg Colyer "Ace Maker Airshows" - T-33 Shooting Star

Updated as of 1/20/2021, 12:49 PM EST
Last edited by n33d4sp33d_85 on Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:49 am, edited 7 times in total.
1 x

jpujol

Post by jpujol » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:34 pm

This is one of the best airshows in New England (one of the best on East Coast also).

Whether it is at Barnes or Westover, they always put on a great show.

Love Barnes because of the F-15's that are based there and they always fly the F-15C's at the show.

Lets hope and pray the virus situation is under control and we can enjoy airshows again.
1 x

jpujol

Post by jpujol » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:29 pm

Can't believe it.

Barnes airshow is the same weekend as Dover.

I could try for a double trip Saturday/Sunday, but these are tough.
0 x

Kittyhawk

Post by Kittyhawk » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:42 pm

jpujol wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:29 pm Can't believe it.

Dover has a twilight show on Friday... So you can try that maybe?
0 x

Nick

Post by Nick » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:49 pm

jpujol wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:29 pm Can't believe it.

I'm curious of how Dover will format their perfomers on the same weekend Westfield & Owensboro, another overlap found out. 2021 will be intersting to see.
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:50 pm

The Geico Skytypers, an aerobatics team flying World War II-era planes, are also confirmed for the airshow.
https://www.masslive.com/news/2020/10/w ... hreat.html
1 x

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:08 pm

I really hope the virus situation has improved by then. I'd really like to make a long weekend of going to this show and visiting Old Rhinebeck if conditions allow that to happen.
0 x
Matt

jpujol

Post by jpujol » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:37 pm

Anybody see "60 Minutes" story on COVID last night?

Doctors saying masks and social distancing will be with us for 2 years even after vaccine is available.

Does not sound good for airshows.

I see lots of "drive-in" shows in 2021, and many of the military bases canceling their shows for fear of large crowds infecting airmen/sailors/soldiers.

Things will eventually get back to normal, but it will take several years.

What do you guys think about "drive-in" shows? I think they are worse than "non-site" shows (beach venues). You have to stay near your car and cannot get close to crowd line. Not to mention no statics, no landings/take-offs and no interaction with pilots/aircrews.
0 x

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:31 pm

jpujol wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:37 pm Anybody see "60 Minutes" story on COVID last night?

Doctors saying masks and social distancing will be with us for 2 years even after vaccine is available.

I see lots of "drive-in" shows in 2021, and many of the military bases canceling their shows for fear of large crowds infecting airmen/sailors/soldiers.

What do you guys think about "drive-in" shows? I think they are worse than "non-site" shows (beach venues). You have to stay near your car and cannot get close to crowd line. Not to mention no statics, no landings/take-offs and no interaction with pilots/aircrews.
They may be correct, but the fact is the virus presence will be with us from now on, theirs no removing it, eventually life is enable to start back up soon, various people, I mean like millions are willingly wanting to go back to life, the vaccine part their is for various people to take in case if they don't feel protected from the virus, in gerneral, and very simply, it's an option. To express my opinion on that without being naive, I do feel somewhat confident, airshows could return with inputing some modifications, but still to think threw that perspective they would start inputing hundreds of hand sanitizers stations located on the flight line, and input stay safe initiatives thus far and probably have friends tag along with well, so you have your own group to socailize with, but the whole point is people are demanding to go back to normal life, and having normal events happen, the fact is no one is going to wear a facial covering for another 2 years, its pretty much optional, plus with the vaccine coming out, really does mean that events can come back with some modifications, now I would not mind that at all, i utmost understand this, its a pandemic and we should take somewhat precaution, but other than that, I don't see why airshows, can't come back next year of 2021. I'm just stating because of the people nation wide here in the US, unfortunately that may not be case like I hoped for like others hoped as well. To say for now, I would just keep my fingers cross and only wish and hope for airshows to continue in 2021. Heres an article I recently discovered.

Article Link: https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/07/medical- ... -13383283/
0 x

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:35 pm

jpujol wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:37 pm Anybody see "60 Minutes" story on COVID last night?

I haven't been to a drive-in show yet, but to me one of those would be vastly preferable to a non-site show. At an airport, you at least have the chance of being aligned with a runway and getting somewhat of a view of takeoffs and landings, even if they are partially obstructed by other vehicles. While statics and getting a good seat on the crowd line are a big part of my airshow experience, I'm sort of adopting that attitude that I will take what I can get right now. If the alternative to a drive-in show is no airshow, I'll take it.

My concern with drive-in shows right now is being able to afford to go. Some of the price points for an individual attendee are pretty steep. While the price point for a carload of people might end up being equal to or less than what the typical family of four might spend at an airshow when taking into account food, tickets, parking, etc. it is not within range of what I typically spend as a solo or group of two attendee. I did choose to spend on a limited-ticket event this year, but that was mostly because I spent no other money on airshows or travel this year. If prices don't come down a bit, I'm going to have to take a hard look at which shows I want to do because my typical approach to the airshow season won't be possible.

I have a feeling we're going to see more drive-ins and limited-ticket events next year. I am personally skeptical that there will be many events at military bases. Hopefully the shows who tried these formats this summer will provide a template for things that did or did not go well, and other venues can further refine the process to make it more spectator-friendly. Static displays may be possible for a limited number of ticket-holders, perhaps as a special add-on ticket or a perk associated with a price level. Maybe even staggering access to the ramp could be possible in the right situation.

I think the airshow industry is creative enough to find ways for shows to go on. It's just going to require us to be adaptable and decide what our own comfort levels are.
0 x
Matt

Return to “2021 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”