Thunder Over Michigan 2021

Discussion relating to 2021 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:43 pm

GRNDP51 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:01 pm What airframes do you guys want to see present? There are a few special examples being talked to, really hoping they pan out!
I would like to see Semper Fi and Guardian of Freedom make the trip. Guardian of Freedom was one of the first B-25s I saw as a kid, back when it was owned by Glenn LaMont. Semper Fi would be unique as the only true PBJ flying in the world.

It would also be great to see Grumpy and Hot Gen parked next to each other - two B-25s in RAF colors! I would add Axis Nightmare to that list, but it is still in its Yankee Doodle markings from the Catch-22 remake.

Any other West Coast B-25s would be appreciated as well.
0 x
Matt

GRNDP51

Post by GRNDP51 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:29 pm

kalamazookid wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:43 pm
GRNDP51 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:01 pm What airframes do you guys want to see present? There are a few special examples being talked to, really hoping they pan out!
I would like to see Semper Fi and Guardian of Freedom make the trip. Guardian of Freedom was one of the first B-25s I saw as a kid, back when it was owned by Glenn LaMont. Semper Fi would be unique as the only true PBJ flying in the world.

It would also be great to see Grumpy and Hot Gen parked next to each other - two B-25s in RAF colors! I would add Axis Nightmare to that list, but it is still in its Yankee Doodle markings from the Catch-22 remake.

Guardian of Freedom is a very long shot, and will probably come down to spending money on 2 (or even 3) airframes instead of just one. PBJ and Grumpy are the more likely candidates on the west coast list. It's been deemed out of the 9 airframes in the west, 2 MAYBE 3 will end up being on the list, dependent on how it pans out with some of the closer examples. Hot Gen is in discussion as well!
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:30 pm

I'm not sure I've heard of these two, let alone seen them!
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

GRNDP51

Post by GRNDP51 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:36 pm

I will also add that in terms of "records", this should be a Thunder record for B-25's and fingers crossed a record for airshow gatherings. I believe the post-war record for B-25's in one place at one time is 21, I'm not sure if they all flew together, and this wasn't considered an airshow. 21 is a hard number to beat, and to line all of the B-25's up next to each other with ramp space, it'll be about 18 airframes. At the end of the day, I haven't been able to find any footage of 18+ B-25's in the air together, and hopefully after next year that will come to life.
0 x

isrr70

Post by isrr70 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:58 am

I am sure that Michael will gather a great group of B-25's and will do what he can to make a record turnout!
Just putting this out there about previous numbers of B-25's at airshows or gatherings.

Thunder over Michigan in 2007 had 15.

The list of the 15 B-25's were:
NL744CG (became Champaign Gal)
Killer B
Special Delivery
Miss Hap
Yankee Warrior
Martha Jean
Panchito
Take Off Time
Betty's Dream
Lady Luck
Miss Mitchell
Tondelayo
Axis Nightmare
Briefing Time
Pacific Prowler

Doolittle reunion in 2010 had 17.

The list of the 17 B-25's were:
Panchito
Pacific Princess
Miss Hap
Barbie III
Axis Nightmare
Wild Cargo
Betty's Dream
Take Off Time
Lady Luck
Pacific Prowler
Briefing Time
Yankee Warrior
Show Me
Miss Mitchell
Yellow Rose
Devil Dog
Maid in the Shade

Doolittle reunion in 2012 had 20. Only 19 made the flyover at the USAF museum as 1 B-25 had a mechanical issue after takeoff and returned to Urbana airport.

The list of the 20 B-25's were:
Panchito
Russian To Get Ya
Grumpy
Pacific Princess
Bettys Dream
Axis Nightmare
Miss Hap
Yankee Warrior
My Buck/Executive Sweet
Barbie III
Champaign Gal
Special Delivery
Tondelayo
Old Glory
Take Off Time
Miss Mitchell
Show Me
Yellow Rose
Maid in The Shade
Devil Dog

Doolittle reunion in 2017 had 12. 11 B-25's flew in the flyover.

The list of the 12 B-25's were:
Semper Fi
Barbie III
Miss Mitchell
God and Country
Devil Dog
Show Me
Miss Hap
Georgie's Gal
Betty's Dream
Panchito
Champaign Gal
Yankee Warrior

Oshkosh in 2017 had 14.

The list of the 14 B-25's were:
Barbie III
Hot Gen
Miss Hap
Miss Mitchell
Champaign Gal
Lady Luck
Devil Dog
Yellow Rose
Briefing Time
Russian To Get Ya
Panchito
Yankee Warrior
Georgie"s Gal
Berlin Express (under restoration, static)
1 x

GRNDP51

Post by GRNDP51 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:14 am

This list is awesome sir thank you. I know ML has been looking for this exhaustive list. I'll pass it onto him!
0 x

isrr70

Post by isrr70 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:40 am

Your welcome. I was at all of those events. I know ML will work his magic as usual.
I have been to every Thunder over Michigan Airshow also.
0 x

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:38 pm

Frankly, the world's only airworthy PBJ Mitchell (Naval varient of the B-25 'Mitchell') 'Semper Fi' is stationed here in Southern California (CAF SoCal), but indeed, it is operated and apart of the Commemorative Air Force (CAF), however with that said being stationed here on the West Coast, I would have my doubts about CAF SoCal Sending the world's only flyable Naval Mitchell to Michigan, in which would seemingly be quite out of the ordinary, ever since the beautiful bird was in flight-worthy status, I have thus far seen the PBJ Mitchell 'Semper Fi' only Perform locally here in Southern California, with the expection of the big bird conducting visits in the North every now and then, but still, it is very out of the ordinary to send her anywhere out of the state of California, unless, the expection of a major event, a gathering, however, would, but believe me, wouldn't be enough to send her to perform a demostartion out of state, especially with the pandemic, the crew, and the orginzation, indeed would be heistant to send anyone out of state, bottom line is, 'Semper Fi' has a significant possibility of not traveling out of state for the 2021 season, however, I could see Planes Of Fame possibly send their B-25 Mitchell 'Photo Fanny' else where, but in reality, it might just simply be the Eastern and Mideastern Air museums that will send their twin engine Mitchell bombers to the gathering being hosted by YAM. I haven't overseen Lyon's Air Museum B-25 yet, but again, repeatedly mentioned, would have a possibility of being denied to be sent to a gathering in the Great Lakes. The information I stated is just to clarify, in perspective of the overview of the Museum's here, stationed on the West Coast tend to perform locally. Overall, we'll just have to see and wait of what is yet to come forth.
0 x

smalldude333

Post by smalldude333 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:16 pm

Nick wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:38 pm Frankly, the world's only airworthy PBJ Mitchell (Naval varient of the B-25 'Mitchell') 'Semper Fi' is stationed here in Southern California (CAF SoCal), but indeed, it is operated and apart of the Commemorative Air Force (CAF), however with that said being stationed here on the West Coast, I would have my doubts about CAF SoCal Sending the world's only flyable Naval Mitchell to Michigan, in which would seemingly be quite out of the ordinary, ever since the beautiful bird was in flight-worthy status, I have thus far seen the PBJ Mitchell 'Semper Fi' only Perform locally here in Southern California, with the expection of the big bird conducting visits in the North every now and then, but still, it is very out of the ordinary to send her anywhere out of the state of California, unless, the expection of a major event, a gathering, however, would, but believe me, wouldn't be enough to send her to perform a demostartion out of state, especially with the pandemic, the crew, and the orginzation, indeed would be heistant to send anyone out of state, bottom line is, 'Semper Fi' has a significant possibility of not traveling out of state for the 2021 season, however, I could see Planes Of Fame possibly send their B-25 Mitchell 'Photo Fanny' else where, but in reality, it might just simply be the Eastern and Mideastern Air museums that will send their twin engine Mitchell bombers to the gathering being hosted by YAM. I haven't overseen Lyon's Air Museum B-25 yet, but again, repeatedly mentioned, would have a possibility of being denied to be sent to a gathering in the Great Lakes. The information I stated is just to clarify, in perspective of the overview of the Museum's here, stationed on the West Coast tend to perform locally. Overall, we'll just have to see and wait of what is yet to come forth.
TOM however, did just get the Commemorative Air Force (CAF) B-25 "Devil Dog" 8-).
0 x

Nick

Post by Nick » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:04 am

smalldude333 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:16 pm
Nick wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:38 pm Frankly, the world's only airworthy PBJ Mitchell (Naval varient of the B-25 'Mitchell') 'Semper Fi' is stationed here in Southern California (CAF SoCal), but indeed, it is operated and apart of the Commemorative Air Force (CAF), however with that said being stationed here on the West Coast, I would have my doubts about CAF SoCal Sending the world's only flyable Naval Mitchell to Michigan, in which would seemingly be quite out of the ordinary, ever since the beautiful bird was in flight-worthy status, I have thus far seen the PBJ Mitchell 'Semper Fi' only Perform locally here in Southern California, with the expection of the big bird conducting visits in the North every now and then, but still, it is very out of the ordinary to send her anywhere out of the state of California, unless, the expection of a major event, a gathering, however, would, but believe me, wouldn't be enough to send her to perform a demostartion out of state, especially with the pandemic, the crew, and the orginzation, indeed would be heistant to send anyone out of state, bottom line is, 'Semper Fi' has a significant possibility of not traveling out of state for the 2021 season, however, I could see Planes Of Fame possibly send their B-25 Mitchell 'Photo Fanny' else where, but in reality, it might just simply be the Eastern and Mideastern Air museums that will send their twin engine Mitchell bombers to the gathering being hosted by YAM. I haven't overseen Lyon's Air Museum B-25 yet, but again, repeatedly mentioned, would have a possibility of being denied to be sent to a gathering in the Great Lakes. The information I stated is just to clarify, in perspective of the overview of the Museum's here, stationed on the West Coast tend to perform locally. Overall, we'll just have to see and wait of what is yet to come forth.
TOM however, did just get the Commemorative Air Force (CAF) B-25 "Devil Dog" 8-).
The squadron is from Texas I believe, but definitely in the similar perspective, would anticipate CAF "Devil Dog" squadron to be apart of the "Mitchell Gathering" as well.
Last edited by Nick on Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Return to “2021 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”