Blue Angels - Super Hornet

Post your airshow-related threads here! For specific airshows, please use the year-specific forum.
Rclapp

Blue Angels - Super Hornet

Post by Rclapp » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:07 pm

When are the Blue Angels switching to the Super Hornet? Or has that transition been put on hold? Thanks.
0 x

awal2049

Post by awal2049 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:16 pm

I've read a few stories on the Internet, but honestly I don't even know if those are legit. One source said "the conversion to the Super Hornet should be complete by September 2017." That was last year, and it seems like we would have heard something else by now. One of the contractors for the transition stated that there is no set date, and it could take years. The team has not released any official information on the change. Most of the demonstration pilots are oriented in the Hornet, so I think it might also require additional training. I would have to assume it's not going to happen anytime soon.

The thing about the Super Hornet is it flies differently from the Hornet. Switching to the Super Hornet would require several maneuvers to be adjusted. The team has stated previously that the Super Hornet is not ideal for their air show. Another issue is aircraft availability. The Blues have been plagued with maintenance issues this year, forcing some of their jets to be sidelined while they wait to be serviced (this is true for the entire U.S. Navy). They may upgrade if the hornets become unserviceable. The team also has a budget to think about.

My guess is no, but I'm not an insider on the team, this is just an assumption. Maybe somebody else knows more. In any case we should wait for the team to make an official announcement.
0 x