CenterPoint Energy Dayton Air Show 2021

Discussion relating to 2021 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Grunt087

Post by Grunt087 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:10 pm

I just get tired of all the snow flakes ruining Airshows. The COVID-19 threat will be much lower by then. Maybe we should cancel all pubic gatherings for the next five years “Just to be on the safe side. The price should be reduced to half price since you are missing half the show. Paying by the vehicle will increase the cost per person for most people. Dayton has never had a very good lineup. They think all they need to do is get the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels and the lemmings will pay out the nose. The rest of the show will be the same old T-6’s and Pitts specials. Will there be any B17,B29,B24,P47,Mosquito,P38,Me109,FW190 no but why should they bother when people put up with Thunderbirds and and a few fillers.
0 x

smalldude333

Post by smalldude333 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:18 pm

Grunt087 wrote:Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:10 pm I just get tired of all the snow flakes ruining Airshows. The COVID-19 threat will be much lower by then. Maybe we should cancel all pubic gatherings for the next five years “Just to be on the safe side. The price should be reduced to half price since you are missing half the show. Paying by the vehicle will increase the cost per person for most people. Dayton has never had a very good lineup. They think all they need to do is get the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels and the lemmings will pay out the nose. The rest of the show will be the same old T-6’s and Pitts specials. Will there be any B17,B29,B24,P47,Mosquito,P38,Me109,FW190 no but why should they bother when people put up with Thunderbirds and and a few fillers.
The virus is very unpredictable even with the vaccine and it is better safe then sorry (Sorry as in losing a bunch of money by canceling). These shows are also struggling with budget issues and money problems so I don't blame them for charging what they do, but I totally get where you are coming from, I thought the same things when TOM went to drive in, but I think this is the responsible way to do it with the circumstances.
Last edited by smalldude333 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

tehdeej

Post by tehdeej » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:40 pm

Grunt087 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:10 pm I just get tired of all the snow flakes ruining Airshows. The COVID-19 threat will be much lower by then. Maybe we should cancel all pubic gatherings for the next five years “Just to be on the safe side. The price should be reduced to half price since you are missing half the show. Paying by the vehicle will increase the cost per person for most people. Dayton has never had a very good lineup. They think all they need to do is get the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels and the lemmings will pay out the nose. The rest of the show will be the same old T-6’s and Pitts specials. Will there be any B17,B29,B24,P47,Mosquito,P38,Me109,FW190 no but why should they bother when people put up with Thunderbirds and and a few fillers.
It's better to just play it safe for this year and plan on going back to normal for 2022. I personally don't spend much time around the statics unless there is something unique there, so cutting the price of the tickets in half would be tough considering most statics don't make any money by sitting on the ramp. In regards to the performers lineup in the past, Dayton has been heavily affected by the recent Thunderbird and Blue Angels' respective crashes. With that being said, both of the years that happened, they responded well by having some pilots/teams fly twice a day. In 2019 they had a beefy lineup, with the Thunderbirds, Art Nalls' Sea Harrier, Legacy Flight with TWO Super Hornets and a Bearcat, along with many other smaller, yet still entertaining performers. The years that they host the Blue Angels, they almost always secure a single ship demo team, I'm not sure a civilian show can do much better than that. As for this year, the Navy still has not announced their full schedule for three different airframes and Legacy Flights, so one can still hope for that. Also, the normal ticket price online for this show in the past was pushing $30 for general admission, so I would hardly say anyone is ruining this airshow, rather saving it from never happening again.
3 x

Photomate

Post by Photomate » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:15 pm

I am sorry to see the drive air shows. My wife and I have been going to show for the last 20 years. But said to say we will not go to any drive-in show. It's not worth spending 400 dollars for two people just to looking up in the sky. Just think of all of the vendors living made by going to the airshow around the USA or the world.

There is a nice park next to the airport, we will eat our food and drink are beer.

Outdoors and sunshine is a great killer for viruses.
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:51 pm

Photomate wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:15 pm I am sorry to see the drive air shows. My wife and I have been going to show for the last 20 years. But said to say we will not go to any drive-in show. It's not worth spending 400 dollars for two people just to looking up in the sky. Just think of all of the vendors living made by going to the airshow around the USA or the world.

There is a nice park next to the airport, we will eat our food and drink are beer.

Outdoors and sunshine is a great killer for viruses.
I'm not sure why you would pay 300 dollars more than everyone else, but to each their own. Drive-ins are certainly a compromise with some pros and cons.
2 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Tue May 11, 2021 2:22 am

C-17 Globemaster III West Coast Demo Team to perform at Dayton this July.
viewtopic.php?p=21854#p21854
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Wed May 12, 2021 2:44 am

The CenterPoint Energy Dayton Air Show Presented by Kroger will host the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds July 10 - 11 at Dayton International Airport (DAY) in our "Drive-in and Take off Air Show" format. Platinum Viewing Space tickets are selling quickly, especially for Saturday's show. Learn more and reserve your tickets now at www.DaytonAirshow.com.
0 x

EricP

Post by EricP » Thu May 20, 2021 12:22 pm

Dayton Air Show organizers just announced a return to a normal show format complete with static aircraft. Sounds as though regular tickets will go on sale soon, if not already, and all drive in tickets will be refunded. Will be great to have a normal show again.
0 x
Eric P.

ssims45

Post by ssims45 » Thu May 20, 2021 12:24 pm

EricP wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:22 pm Dayton Air Show organizers just announced a return to a normal show format complete with static aircraft. Sounds as though regular tickets will go on sale soon, if not already, and all drive in tickets will be refunded. Will be great to have a normal show again.
This is fantastic news!
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Thu May 20, 2021 12:37 pm

I had made plans with some friends and bought one of the 'front row' drive-in tickets so that we could all sit together and not race to beat the crowds. I am glad that they will be able to return to a normal show but now that I can't save a good seat I doubt I'll make the drive down. We'll see how eager I am for a show at that point
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Return to “2021 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”