2018 USAF Thunderbirds Schedule

Find out where your favorite performers will be! Be sure to check schedules for updates as they are always subject to change. Also post year-related performer information, such as music lists.
Bretten Bailey

Post by Bretten Bailey » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:05 pm

JasonB wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:21 pm I'm surprised that Fort Wayne is back in 2019 and Grissom is having a show too. The distance between the two airports is about 70 miles, so I wonder if Fort Wayne will change to 2020 instead.
Both are still on for 2019.
RyanS wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:34 pm I'm glad Thunder won't be hosting a team every year (although they may yet get a single ship demo in 2019); Selfridge won't return until 2020. I'm disappointed BC couldn't arrange it but they have moved away from teams lately - whether by choice or not. Not really any other options for a team to go to.

Luckily, Cleveland has a team every year and is only a few hours away!
Not quite a choice in Battle Creek. We have adapted to ways to be successful without relying on a jet team, but we still hope to host them often. The thing that goes against us with jet teams, and it's also the same issue that faces Traverse City, is the fact that we don't have many date options when it comes to hosting jet teams. Both of us are always over the 4th of July and we are known to have our events during those times, so, realistically we can only accept roughly two weekends of the year (weekend before the 4th or the weekend after). That also limits our options when the 4th falls on a weekend.

Shows shift dates all the time to accommodate a jet team, we don't have the luxury to do so, unfortunately. In addition, military bases usually take precedence in hosting.

Speaking from experience, in 2012 we moved our dates to end on July 1st. It did not work out well for us haha.
Last edited by Bretten Bailey on Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Bretten Bailey - Aerial Actions Airshows & Ballooning

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:15 pm

The Wings Over Atlanta show in March has been canceled, and I have updated the first post to show the March 24-25 weekend as OPEN.

https://airshowstuff.com/v4/2018/wings- ... -canceled/
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:49 pm

I'm seeing some comments on FB that the Thunderbirds may be scrubbing at least one show off the beginning of their season in order to fully train the new boss. It sounds like Luke has shifted dates to the 17-18 and added the Blue Angels instead of the TBs.

Nothing official announced just yet so we'll see what any updated schedule looks like!
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:56 pm

RyanS wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:49 pm I'm seeing some comments on FB that the Thunderbirds may be scrubbing at least one show off the beginning of their season in order to fully train the new boss. It sounds like Luke has shifted dates to the 17-18 and added the Blue Angels instead of the TBs.

Nothing official announced just yet so we'll see what any updated schedule looks like!
If that is the reasoning, I wonder if the Melbourne show might be in jeopardy as well? With Luke potentially swapping dates and Wings of Atlanta canceling, it only leaves 1 show in the month of March. If there are concerns about the readiness of the team with the new boss, they might just scrub Melbourne and start their season in April. 4 extra weeks of practice is a big deal.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

Disclaimer: Melbourne is still on their schedule, but I am just speculating outloud about that potential scenerio.
0 x
Dan Gagnon

Ken91

Post by Ken91 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:27 am

Dan Gagnon wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:56 pm
RyanS wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:49 pm I'm seeing some comments on FB that the Thunderbirds may be scrubbing at least one show off the beginning of their season in order to fully train the new boss. It sounds like Luke has shifted dates to the 17-18 and added the Blue Angels instead of the TBs.

If that is the reasoning, I wonder if the Melbourne show might be in jeopardy as well? With Luke potentially swapping dates and Wings of Atlanta canceling, it only leaves 1 show in the month of March. If there are concerns about the readiness of the team with the new boss, they might just scrub Melbourne and start their season in April. 4 extra weeks of practice is a big deal.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

Disclaimer: Melbourne is still on their schedule, but I am just speculating outloud about that potential scenerio.
I hope Melbourne stays on the schedule for the Thunderbirds! It would be disappointing, personally, if they cancelled. However, I certainly understand the reasoning if they do. Wouldn't like it, but would certainly understand.
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:35 pm

Here's some clarification: https://www.newsairshow.com/headlines/2 ... lue-angels

Luke is changing dates and jet teams.

Combined with the cancelled Dobbins show, this could potentially open up an additional three weeks of training if the rumour Ryan saw is true and none of the three open dates are filled.
Last edited by Adam on Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:23 pm

Thanks Adam, I saw the same post and came to update this thread. It will be very interesting to see if Melbourne announces anything about a TB cancellation. Unfortunately we may not know for a while because I can definitely see them playing dumb to keep ticket sales up until the last minute.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Adam

Post by Adam » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:45 pm

Of course. I forgot Melbourne. It will indeed be interesting to see if that one gets dropped from the schedule, it would buy them a lot of valuable practice time if so.
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Adam

Post by Adam » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:23 pm

Pardon my ignorance, but I saw this letter today from the Secretary of the Air Force and wonder if it applies to the Thunderbirds and other demo teams. Looking at the wording, I'd guess so guess so as their operations surely aren't integral to national security or safety, but I'm sure there's someone on here who can confirm whether this is correct. If it is, then could this eat further still into the start of the Thunderbirds' schedule?

https://twitter.com/SecAFOfficial/statu ... 3834933249
Last edited by Adam on Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

awal2049

Post by awal2049 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:32 pm

As I understand it, only civilians and temporary duty personnel are required to stop operations. The Thunderbirds (and other military demo pilots) are active duty personnel. Their operations should not be affected by the shutdown. However, this same scenario is what led to the sequestration in 2013 when most of the air show season was cancelled. Let’s just hope they resolve this quickly so massive budget cuts don’t ruin the year for everyone.
0 x