Boundary Bay Airshow 2023

Discussion relating to 2023 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:32 am

July 22nd
Boundary Bay Airport
Delta, British Columbia
https://czbb.com/airshow2023/

Featuring
- USAF A-10 Thunderbolt II Demo
- USAF Heritage Flight [A-10 Thunderbolt II and P-51 Mustang]
- RCAF CF-18 Hornet 2-Ship Demo
- Northern Stars Aeroteam [Pitts S2B (x 3)]
- Brad Wursten [MXS-R]
- Mike Tryggvason [Giles 202]
- Pete McLeod [Extra 300]
- Ross Granley [Yak-18T]
- Vicky Benzing [Stearman]
- Erickson Aircraft Collection [B-17 Flying Fortress, F4U Corsair, P-40 Warhawk]

Announcer: Ric Peterson
Last edited by n33d4sp33d_85 on Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:24 am, edited 15 times in total.
0 x

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:50 pm

Nice start to this one. I'll be in Washington for two weeks and want to set aside three days for aviation experiences. I know I'll be visiting Seattle Museum of Flight and will be choosing from among this, the McChord show, a Heritage Flight Museum Fly Day (if they have one while I'm out there) or FHCAM if it has reopened by then. Right now, this sounds more appealing than McChord or HFM. If anyone else has gone, I'd love to hear more about the show and possible recommendations.
0 x
Matt

Bingofuel

Post by Bingofuel » Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:43 pm

kalamazookid wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:50 pm Nice start to this one. I'll be in Washington for two weeks and want to set aside three days for aviation experiences. I know I'll be visiting Seattle Museum of Flight and will be choosing from among this, the McChord show, a Heritage Flight Museum Fly Day (if they have one while I'm out there) or FHCAM if it has reopened by then. Right now, this sounds more appealing than McChord or HFM. If anyone else has gone, I'd love to hear more about the show and possible recommendations.
It's a pretty small show usually, the A-10 coming is a pretty big deal for them I'd imagine. Not much in the way of static displays as the runway isn't very long. I think they had a C-130 once? Showline faces south so there's a bit of backlight for photos. That being said it's an intimate style show where you can get pretty close to the performers parking area. And it's free (99% sure).

I've been to both and McChord is definitely a MUCH larger show and has a great East-facing mountain backdrop if photography is your #1 priority. McChord traffic in and out can be absolutely insane though. 3 hours to get out one year.

If McChord is two days you can easily attend both. Maybe 3 hour drive between venues +border times
1 x

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:08 pm

Thank you for the response! Good food for thought. I figured Boundary Bay would be a smaller show given the venue, and those are the types of shows I tend to enjoy more. Being close to the action increases the fun factor! Photography won't be a huge issue either way as I usually treat getting good photos as a bonus. I see that some of the past shows at Boundary Bay have featured warbirds from the Erickson Collection, which would be a big draw for me. The CF-18 is also of interest even though it won't be an aerobatic demo since we don't see "C" model Hornets in the Midwest anymore.

McChord is also appealing for different reasons, but not sure I'll want to deal with that level of traffic. I'll definitely keep an eye on both lineups. Thanks again!
0 x
Matt

Chris Smallenberg

Post by Chris Smallenberg » Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:57 am

kalamazookid wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:08 pm Thank you for the response! Good food for thought. I figured Boundary Bay would be a smaller show given the venue, and those are the types of shows I tend to enjoy more. Being close to the action increases the fun factor! Photography won't be a huge issue either way as I usually treat getting good photos as a bonus. I see that some of the past shows at Boundary Bay have featured warbirds from the Erickson Collection, which would be a big draw for me. The CF-18 is also of interest even though it won't be an aerobatic demo since we don't see "C" model Hornets in the Midwest anymore.

McChord is also appealing for different reasons, but not sure I'll want to deal with that level of traffic. I'll definitely keep an eye on both lineups. Thanks again!
Based on recent shows I would count on Erickson participating. They typically have 3 aircraft in the air for the show (only two in 2022 because the P-47 lost part of it's canopy on arrival). They have supported many local shows in recent years. Hopefully that continues. RCAF support is typically lacklustre so I wouldn't count on any more military other than the CF-18 and A-10, which is pretty incredible for this show on it's own (if they do get something it will be a bonus). I also wonder if the Heritage Flight Museum will bring up their Skyraider for a Heritage Flight.

As for McChord, the secret is to walk the static, if you've got the time, until they start clearing the ramp. By then the waits are far less. One year by time we got to the parking there was no one there and we got lost on the base and almost ended up in Ft. Lewis. Eventually we made our way out (didn't really like being a foreign national randomly driving around on a US air force base!). Also, if you plan on doing both, Boundary Bay will have to be Saturday so you would do McChord on the Sunday which is typically the less busy of the two. It's unfortunate they are on the same weekend.
1 x

mikeyb9

Post by mikeyb9 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:50 pm

Hey guys, I believe that the shows in discussion here are on separate weekends, just an FYI for planning :)

a great double header in July for us northwest peeps.

See you all out there at both shows
0 x

riffraff

Post by riffraff » Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:27 pm

mikeyb9 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:50 pm Hey guys, I believe that the shows in discussion here are on separate weekends, just an FYI for planning :)

a great double header in July for us northwest peeps.

See you all out there at both shows
Yup, Mchord is on theJuly 15,16 weekend.
0 x

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:58 am

Thanks for the additional info, guys! I like what I hear about this one so far.
0 x
Matt

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:31 pm

Latest Addition
- Vicky Benzing Aerosports
https://www.vickybenzing.com/schedule.html
0 x

cf18hornet

Post by cf18hornet » Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:09 am

It appears as if it only a one day show now according to their Facebook page. The A-10 demo page still has a two day show listed and the CF-18 only has one day scheduled.
Last edited by cf18hornet on Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Return to “2023 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”