Ax53 or any camcorder accessories and settings for airshow

A place to talk photography gear, techniques, etc.
Ethan1028

Ax53 or any camcorder accessories and settings for airshow

Post by Ethan1028 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:45 pm

Hello,

Does anyone have the ax53 or any camcorder that would like to share their accessories for air shows (mic, filters, etc.)? And would also be willing to share some tips and universal settings I could use for all air shows with camcorders?

Thank you for anyone that replies
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:32 am

I think I can help with that :)

We use Rode VideoMicros for audio and a neutral density filter on the front so that we don't get blown out sky on sunny days.

For settings I suggest setting focus to manual but locked at infinity, exposure auto but shutter speed locked at something slow like 60 or 120. The mic might require manually setting the level depending on your setup. We film at 1080p60 because we like the fps but you can decide if you prefer 4k instead.

Hope that helps!
1 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Ethan1028

Post by Ethan1028 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:45 am

RyanS wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:32 am I think I can help with that :)

We use Rode VideoMicros for audio and a neutral density filter on the front so that we don't get blown out sky on sunny days.

For settings I suggest setting focus to manual but locked at infinity, exposure auto but shutter speed locked at something slow like 60 or 120. The mic might require manually setting the level depending on your setup. We film at 1080p60 because we like the fps but you can decide if you prefer 4k instead.

Hope that helps!
I’ve also seen people use lens hoods on their camcorders. Do you guys use a lens hood for the sun? Thanks this reply is great!
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:58 pm

Ethan1028 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:45 am

Hope that helps!
I’ve also seen people use lens hoods on their camcorders. Do you guys use a lens hood for the sun? Thanks this reply is great!
I have tried a few add on hoods but they all end up blocking the corners of the frame at wide angles. Sun isn't as bad as dust/rain getting on the lens. The normal lens is a tiny bit protected as it is recessed just a little bit, but when you add a filter to the front it is totally unprotected so very susceptible to getting stuff on it. I have started checking the filter glass many times throughout the day to make sure I wipe it clean

If you find a hood that works let me know :D
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Ethan1028

Post by Ethan1028 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:22 pm

RyanS wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:58 pm

Hope that helps!
I have tried a few add on hoods but they all end up blocking the corners of the frame at wide angles. Sun isn't as bad as dust/rain getting on the lens. The normal lens is a tiny bit protected as it is recessed just a little bit, but when you add a filter to the front it is totally unprotected so very susceptible to getting stuff on it. I have started checking the filter glass many times throughout the day to make sure I wipe it clean

Have you looked into the Sony FDRAX700/B FDR-AX700? Would that be better than the ax53 at recording videos for planes and such?
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:59 pm

Ethan1028 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:22 pm
RyanS wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:58 pm

Have you looked into the Sony FDRAX700/B FDR-AX700? Would that be better than the ax53 at recording videos for planes and such?
The only 'benefits' I see to the AX700 are actually pretty useless. 120fps on 1080p is cool if you're going to edit slow-mo footage but you're going to cut it down to 60fps for publishing anyway (most computers only have 60Hz screens anyway). Even if you could see it, it probably wouldn't look THAT much different or better. Then you have the sensor quality which I imagine is better, but the footage is going to get compressed when it uploads to Youtube anyway so not much point to that, either. I don't even film in the highest quality the AX-53 offers to begin with.

Then you have the drawback of only 12x zoom which is not going to be enough for airshows so it's a hard pass anyway
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com