Defenders of Liberty Air & Space Show 2023

Discussion relating to 2023 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Sam

Post by Sam » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:12 pm

samoth97 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:41 am Does anyone know if the B-1, B-2, and B-52 flyover will be both days? Or just one day (Saturday or Sunday)?

Thanks!!
B52 and B1 should be both days, B2 very unlikely since they have been grounded since one crash landed at Whiteman AFB last December.
2 x

ClickJ

Post by ClickJ » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:10 am

Got the car, hotel, and vacation time booked for this one! Although this will be a short trip for me, driving down from MI on Friday and leaving a little early Sunday to get back for an even on Monday - so I'm keeping an eye on the weather and if it turns into a rainy weekend I'll have to bail.

I've never been down there, any good spots to grab some photos the evening show on Friday? I see there is a park at the south end of the base but it looks like it closes at dusk which doesn't fill me with confidence.

I am also hoping to mow down on some seafood (shrimp in particular) and check out a brewery or two while I'm in town, if anyone has any recommendations!
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:31 pm

Here's the current weather forecast for this coming weekend.

Saturday: Sunny with a high of 75

Sunday: Scattered thunderstorms with a high of 75
Screenshot 2023-03-20 093109.png
Screenshot 2023-03-20 093109.png (2.9 KiB) Viewed 1535 times
https://www.google.com/search?q=barksda ... e&ie=UTF-8
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:41 pm

Per 2023 ICAS Calendar
- Skip Stewart

UPDATE: Most likely a mistake by ICAS as he's not showing on the flying program in Facebook post below.
Last edited by n33d4sp33d_85 on Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:39 am

Looks like a civilian-owned F-5B Freedom Fighter will be taking part in the flying program this weekend.
Screenshot 2023-03-22 223932.png
Screenshot 2023-03-22 223932.png (873.81 KiB) Viewed 1384 times
0 x

ClickJ

Post by ClickJ » Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:30 am

It will be a few days before I can post some pictures, but here are a few of my thoughts on the show.

I'll get my biggest gripe out of the way...I thought the flying lineup was excellent and there's a chance it would have caught my eye enough to make the trip down there on its own. That being said, the B-52 was probably 50% of the reason I made the trip down and the rest of the show the other 50%. It was cool seeing so many in one place...but as far as the show itself goes I have no words to explain my disappointment in the B-52's showing. We got a single B-52 doing one pass with Devil Dog and one pass for the wall of fire.

It took off before the show started and landed after the show ended, and I was really hoping to get some some of those shots (takeoff Saturday I was still in the line to get in, Sunday I just wasn't paying close enough attention so that's my bad). On Saturday they started ushering us out pretty quick after the Blues were finished, and when I saw the B-52 coming in I had to ask if I could have minute to put my long lens on and grab a couple photos.

On Saturday it looked like a 2nd B-52 aborted its takeoff and that was the end of it. Still happy to see it but I'm completely dumbfounded that's all we got.

As for the rest of the show, I really enjoyed it; the Aeroshell team was a surprise highlight for me and the F-22/F-16/P-51 Heritage Flight was very cool. The F-22 also did an early demo around 10:30 on Saturday...nice entertainment while in the security line. Saturday, Blue Angel #4 didn't taxi back with the rest of the team, but whatever the issue was, it was fixed by Sunday (at least, it was parked with the rest of them - I left before they flew). The statics were alright although I didn't get much time to photograph them or check them out.

Getting onto the base was a bit of a mess on Saturday. I went to the north gate around 8 because it was closest to my hotel, but they were turning people away until 9 so on my third time through the line I finally got to the gate when it was open...and well after 9. Got through security and found a spot just as the flying was starting at 11. I appreciated that they specifically noted that camera bags were allowed, as opposed to leaving it up to you to interpret a more general statement like "no large bags".

On Sunday I gave the west gate a try based on comments I'd seen on Facebook, still a little dicey at the entrance intersection but it went much smoother. I arrived shortly after 8, and from the time I got to the light at the entrance to the time I was in line for security screening was no more than a half hour. They still didn't start security screening until 9 but my biggest takeaway from the weekend was to use the west gate next time! I didn't hear of any issues on Sunday, but Saturday they closed the gates early afternoon due to being at capacity, I felt awful for those people who had been waiting in line for hours (some of whom had purchased seating) just to get turned away.

Getting off base was surprisingly easy although I did spend as much time as they would allow checking out the statics after the show, and I had a decent walk to the car - but I didn't have to wait in line at all to leave. Sunday I had to get on the road a couple hours early and that was also very fast.

The weather turned out great, a little warm for this guy but around 80 and sunny both days with some clouds coming in Sunday afternoon.

Even though I was disappointed with the B-52 the trip was worth it for me. Overall, except trying to get in on Saturday, getting in and out was easier than I expected but I know getting there early and not rushing to leave at the end of the show are big reasons for that. I'd consider going again if I could make it part of a bigger trip and if there was something in the lineup that I really wanted to see. But the BUFF certainly won't be 50% of my reason for going again :D .
Last edited by ClickJ on Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

samoth97

Post by samoth97 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:10 am

ClickJ wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:30 am It will be a few days before I can post some pictures, but here are a few of my thoughts on the show.

I'll get my biggest gripe out of the way...I thought the flying lineup was excellent and there's a chance it would have caught my eye enough to make the trip down there on its own. That being said, the B-52 was probably 50% of the reason I made the trip down and the rest of the show the other 50%. It was cool seeing so many in one place...but as far as the show itself goes I have no words to explain my disappointment in the B-52's showing. We got a single B-52 doing one pass with Devil Dog and one pass for the wall of fire.

It took off before the show started and landed after the show ended, and I was really hoping to get some some of those shots (takeoff Saturday I was still in the line to get in, Sunday I just wasn't paying close enough attention so that's my bad). On Saturday they started ushering us out pretty quick after the Blues were finished, and when I saw the B-52 coming in I had to ask if I could have minute to put my long lens on and grab a couple photos.

On Saturday it looked like a 2nd B-52 aborted its takeoff and that was the end of it. Still happy to see it but I'm completely dumbfounded that's all we got.

As for the rest of the show, I really enjoyed it; the Aeroshell team was a surprise highlight for me and the F-22/F-16/P-51 Heritage Flight was very cool. The F-22 also did an early demo around 10:30 on Saturday...nice entertainment while in the security line. Saturday, Blue Angel #4 didn't taxi back with the rest of the team, but whatever the issue was, it was fixed by Sunday (at least, it was parked with the rest of them - I left before they flew). The statics were alright although I didn't get much time to photograph them or check them out.

Getting onto the base was a bit of a mess on Saturday. I went to the north gate around 8 because it was closest to my hotel, but they were turning people away until 9 so on my third time through the line I finally got to the gate when it was open...and well after 9. Got through security and found a spot just as the flying was starting at 11. I appreciated that they specifically noted that camera bags were allowed, as opposed to leaving it up to you to interpret a more general statement like "no large bags".

On Sunday I gave the west gate a try based on comments I'd seen on Facebook, still a little dicey at the entrance intersection but it went much smoother. I arrived shortly after 8, and from the time I got to the light at the entrance to the time I was in line for security screening was no more than a half hour. They still didn't start security screening until 9 but my biggest takeaway from the weekend was to use the west gate next time! I didn't hear of any issues on Sunday, but Saturday they closed the gates early afternoon due to being at capacity, I felt awful for those people who had been waiting in line for hours (some of whom had purchased seating) just to get turned away.

Getting off base was surprisingly easy although I did spend as much time as they would allow checking out the statics after the show, and I had a decent walk to the car - but I didn't have to wait in line at all to leave. Sunday I had to get on the road a couple hours early and that was also very fast.

The weather turned out great, a little warm for this guy but around 80 and sunny both days with some clouds coming in Sunday afternoon.

Even though I was disappointed with the B-52 the trip was worth it for me. Overall, except trying to get in on Saturday, getting in and out was easier than I expected but I know getting there early and not rushing to leave at the end of the show are big reasons for that. I'd consider going again if I could make it part of a bigger trip and if there was something in the lineup that I really wanted to see. But the BUFF certainly won't be 50% of my reason for going again :D .
ClickJ,
Thank you for your review of Barksdale Air Show 2023. This show was also a first for me ar this air show and the initial Buff, B-1, and B-2 fly over and other performers drew me to this Air Show. Came out from Colorado. I only attend the Saturday show. Tried to get on base around 8:20am (West Gate) only to be turned around. So I left and got back in the car line...of course, as soon as they turned me away then they started letting people on base. Didn't wait long though. Wasn't to too familiar with photographing this particular Air Show, but I was early enough to get a front row along the fence. However, it took me three times to decide on a spot. I started at show center, right in front of the Blue Angels then realized, bunch of obstacles in the way (the light poles and blast walls). Moved south, along the diagonal fence, just past the paid seating, not far enough. Ended up just south of the air boss stand. Met a gentleman named Dan whole photographed this show before and learned I was in the right spot for the take offs, passes, and taxi way. Wasn't not even crowded where I was. I had plenty of room to photograph. No one hanging over my shoulder or fighting for the front row. In fact, not really anyone behind me.
Overall, great air show, but same as you, disappointed in the buff only single pass. Also, the two B-1's from Ellsworth, they couldn't do just one more pass with the wings swapped back? Come on!!!
I photographed the Blue Angels from my car, but that turned out to be a mistake...took me almost 2 hrs to get off the base...traffic was chaos!!!
0 x

RIAT617

Post by RIAT617 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:13 am

Red Bull Air Force with Kevin Coleman and Aaron Fitzgerald
Attachments
DSC_1248.jpeg
DSC_1248.jpeg (126.22 KiB) Viewed 1161 times
2 x

RIAT617

Post by RIAT617 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:14 am

Aftershock Jet Truck and F-15 with Aeroshell
Attachments
DSC_1215.jpeg
DSC_1215.jpeg (224.62 KiB) Viewed 1161 times
DSC_0977.jpeg
DSC_0977.jpeg (207.23 KiB) Viewed 1161 times
1 x

LAXSPOTTER97

Post by LAXSPOTTER97 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:33 am

samoth97 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:10 am
ClickJ wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:30 am It will be a few days before I can post some pictures, but here are a few of my thoughts on the show.

ClickJ,
Thank you for your review of Barksdale Air Show 2023. This show was also a first for me ar this air show and the initial Buff, B-1, and B-2 fly over and other performers drew me to this Air Show. Came out from Colorado. I only attend the Saturday show. Tried to get on base around 8:20am (West Gate) only to be turned around. So I left and got back in the car line...of course, as soon as they turned me away then they started letting people on base. Didn't wait long though. Wasn't to too familiar with photographing this particular Air Show, but I was early enough to get a front row along the fence. However, it took me three times to decide on a spot. I started at show center, right in front of the Blue Angels then realized, bunch of obstacles in the way (the light poles and blast walls). Moved south, along the diagonal fence, just past the paid seating, not far enough. Ended up just south of the air boss stand. Met a gentleman named Dan whole photographed this show before and learned I was in the right spot for the take offs, passes, and taxi way. Wasn't not even crowded where I was. I had plenty of room to photograph. No one hanging over my shoulder or fighting for the front row. In fact, not really anyone behind me.
Overall, great air show, but same as you, disappointed in the buff only single pass. Also, the two B-1's from Ellsworth, they couldn't do just one more pass with the wings swapped back? Come on!!!
I photographed the Blue Angels from my car, but that turned out to be a mistake...took me almost 2 hrs to get off the base...traffic was chaos!!!
B1s are no longer able to fly wings swept at high speed low level with the exception of a couple squadrons.
0 x

Return to “2023 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”