Wilkes Barre/ Scranton Armed Forces Airshow

Discussion relating to 2024 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
TomCat14

Wilkes Barre/ Scranton Armed Forces Airshow

Post by TomCat14 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:25 pm

Article by Scranton Times Staff Writer Robert Tomkavage

Monday Update
THEN: After reviving the Northeastern Pennsylvania Air Show in 2017, plans for future air shows have remained grounded.
NOW: The event will not be held again in 2023 and the status for upcoming years is uncertain

The thunderous roar of fighter jets zipping through the skies above Wilkes-Barre/Scranton International Airport will remain absent for another year.

“There will be no air show at AVP in 2023,” said Eric McKitish, director of marketing, communications and air service development, referring to the facility’s three-letter airport identifier. “I can’t comment on 2024 or any years afterward. ... That will be up to our board.”
The Armed Forces Air Show was an airport tradition between 1983 and 2000.

“Back in the mid- to late ’80s, early ’90s and even up to 2000, they were very important to Northeastern Pennsylvania,” McKitish said.

“We were looking at the possibility of a major jet team such as the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds or the U.S. Navy Blue Angels, but we were not on their list for 2023,” McKitish said. “As far as I know, that was the reason.”

The show was slated to return in 2020 before being canceled because of the COVID-19 pandemic. It was also scheduled to be held during Memorial Day weekend in 2019 but the airport was unable to work out an arrangement with the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission to close parts of the nearby highway for performances.
0 x

passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:00 pm

Thank you for sharing this.

The airshows at that airport in the 1990s and in 2000 were amazing. There were some great memories made there. The 2017 show was great too, even with the weather being an issue.

I often wonder if the airport is looking at attracting additional airline traffic, even if it's just little regional jet service to places like Boston, DC, or NYC.

Just hope I don't have to wait another eleven years for another airshow at that airport.
0 x

Return to “2024 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”