Defense Department Tells Military Personnel To Stop Jumping From Planes With US Flags In Tow

Post your airshow-related threads here! For specific airshows, please use the year-specific forum.
n33d4sp33d_85

Defense Department Tells Military Personnel To Stop Jumping From Planes With US Flags In Tow

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Tue May 23, 2023 4:39 am

It seems now that the sight of military parachute teams bringing in the American flag at the start of an airshow is now a thing of the past.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/defense-depa ... -flags-tow
0 x

Waka Photography

Post by Waka Photography » Tue May 23, 2023 6:26 am

That would probably explain why the SOCOM Para Commandos have been jumping in with the flag attached to the parachute lines this season.
Attachments
20230422112801_2U1A4774.JPG
20230422112801_2U1A4774.JPG (107.59 KiB) Viewed 4477 times
0 x

awal2049

Post by awal2049 » Tue May 23, 2023 11:57 am

I thought this would be a safety concern, but nope. This has to do with the "flag can't touch the ground" rule. I honestly don't understand that. I'm not a service member, and I'm sure they are held to a stricter code of conduct that I just don't understand, but honestly who cares? The flags that are attached to parachute lines can just as easily touch the ground on landing. As Rob Reider explains, the flag doesn't have to be destroyed as long as a diligent effort is made to retrieve it.

I don't see it as a form of disrespect to the flag or the nation to do that. We all stop, remove our hats, and honor the nation when the flag is coming down. That's respect. This is just a boneheaded decision by someone who is offended by people having fun.
2 x

socal_airshow_review

Post by socal_airshow_review » Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:09 am

:x It's about time. I think it's the RIGHT decision. They've never been able to catch any of these flags anyways, so why do it unless you've got a small enough flag so SOMEBODY can grab it. Otherwise, stick with the usual presentation of the colors via personnel on the ground. The American flag should NEVER be allowed to touch the ground and it is definitely a sign of disrespect. It's also a sign of our society becoming weak, spineless, unpatriotic, overly permissive, unethical, undisciplined, and lazy. NEVER mistreat our flag. My blood boils whenever I see somebody mistreat the American flag or when I'm around those who have a careless attitude about it. I'm a son of USAF veterans, so I was raised a bit differently than many. Two of my uncles served in Vietnam - one in the air, one on the ground. What do you think of baseball player Rick Monday's saving of the flag at Dodger stadium - do you believe he was wrong?? Treat the flag RIGHT. Contrary to what one of my 'friends' shockingly told me one time, it's MUCH MORE THAN A FLAG.
0 x