EAA Air Venture Oshkosh 2023

Discussion relating to 2023 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Ohareplanespotter21

Post by Ohareplanespotter21 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:29 am

Is Sunday usually a airshow or is it just mass departures all day?
0 x

Laskow2

Post by Laskow2 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:32 am

Ohareplanespotter21 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:29 am Is Sunday usually a airshow or is it just mass departures all day?
both, assuming your talking about july 30th
Last edited by Laskow2 on Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Ohareplanespotter21

Post by Ohareplanespotter21 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:44 am

Laskow2 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:32 am
Ohareplanespotter21 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:29 am Is Sunday usually a airshow or is it just mass departures all day?
So do people still do performances because the only thing I have seen schedule wise is its a departure show
0 x

Adambadger88

Post by Adambadger88 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:11 am

The air show and crowds are much smaller on Sunday. But, it is an air show on that day with performers. The starting and ending time for that day is different from the rest of the week. The Sunday show starts at 1:00 PM and ends at 4:30 PM as where Monday-Saturday it is from 2:15 PM to 6:15 PM. After the air show concludes on Sunday, I suggest that you stay to watch the airplanes depart runway 18/36, as it is continuous action for a good 2 hours.
0 x

RFDGuy

Post by RFDGuy » Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:34 pm

Ohareplanespotter21 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:44 am
So do people still do performances because the only thing I have seen schedule wise is its a departure show
Yup definitely still a full show.
However, there are usually a few decent mil departures scheduled during the show so it gives you a chance to see the mil jets that don't normally fly in the shows.
0 x

Adambadger88

Post by Adambadger88 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:56 pm

It's happening! In the post below, are the estimated EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2023 arrival and departure times for the Lewis Air Legends' "Bataan", a Lockheed VC-121A Constellation (N422NA).
361647578_1438131566948380_5499890790404859140_n.jpg
361647578_1438131566948380_5499890790404859140_n.jpg (157.07 KiB) Viewed 1310 times
Last edited by Adambadger88 on Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
2 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:37 pm

butch5710 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:16 am Hi all, first time Oshkosh attendee here with a couple of questions. Is there anywhere to somewhat reliably get heads-ups on arrival times for some of the more interesting aircraft each day? I know "interesting" is subjective, but I'd hate to miss arrivals of things like the Super Guppy, Dreamlifter, B-52 because I'm wandering around distracted by the statics. I could always keep an eye on Flightradar24, but wasn't sure if something gets published each day aside from the actual air show schedule.

Also, I believe I've seen videos of arrivals from the weekend prior to the actual start of the show. I have tickets for Mon-Thurs, but how does one view arrivals on Sunday? Are the grounds only open to vendors, campers, volunteers? If so, is there a legal spot outside the grounds that people generally go to catch arrivals before the show week officially starts? If all else fails, is the museum still open to the public on the Sunday?

On a side note, I didn't see it mentioned anywhere, but I asked on the Mig-23 Flogger FB page if they knew when they planned to arrive at OSH, and they said Tues around 2:30pm is the plan. Of course things can change, but nice to have an idea of when to expect them.

Sorry for all the questions. I'm an experienced air show attendee, but Oshkosh is new for me and a little overwhelming especially since this was planned essentially at the last-minute for me. Thanks in advance for any help/insight.
Oshkosh is definitely different from a normal airshow! Make sure you read the pinned thread on tips for first timers if you haven't seen it yet.

The opening weekend is the classic vision of Oshkosh with nonstop arrivals to both runways. From what I remember of Saturday, most parking lots are uncontrolled so you can find a spot to park and walk in. Most of the small entry gates are shut but some larger ones are open. There are already people camping by their planes so it's not like you'll be the only person around. No admission required.

On Sunday there is technically admission required but it is combined with your Monday admission so you're covered. Just put the Monday wristband on (I think it even says Sunday/Monday on it). Same thing many gates are shut but you can come in. Find a spot on the burn line and enjoy the show!

One tip, try not to sit in the middle of an alley because arriving aircraft will get sent down there and you'll have to keep moving your stuff out of their way until it all fills up.

There is no proven system for tracking arrivals sadly. EAA gave up on putting that info out because it always changes anyway due to weather or whatever. You just have to make peace with the idea that you can't possibly see everything. The good news is that some of the most notable arrivals are scheduled during the actual airshow so as long as you have a seat for that you shouldn't miss them.

Ask any other questions you've got!
1 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:43 pm

Ohareplanespotter21 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:44 am
The final Sunday is a normal airshow with performances, however it is a virtual ghost town compared to the rest of the week. The aircraft parking thins out faster than you would think is possible and the crowd is very thin as well. You can walk up when the show starts and get a front row spot pretty easily.
1 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

GTBaker

Post by GTBaker » Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:45 pm

butch5710 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:16 am Hi all, first time Oshkosh attendee here with a couple of questions. Is there anywhere to somewhat reliably get heads-ups on arrival times for some of the more interesting aircraft each day? I know "interesting" is subjective, but I'd hate to miss arrivals of things like the Super Guppy, Dreamlifter, B-52 because I'm wandering around distracted by the statics. I could always keep an eye on Flightradar24, but wasn't sure if something gets published each day aside from the actual air show schedule.

Also, I believe I've seen videos of arrivals from the weekend prior to the actual start of the show. I have tickets for Mon-Thurs, but how does one view arrivals on Sunday? Are the grounds only open to vendors, campers, volunteers? If so, is there a legal spot outside the grounds that people generally go to catch arrivals before the show week officially starts? If all else fails, is the museum still open to the public on the Sunday?

On a side note, I didn't see it mentioned anywhere, but I asked on the Mig-23 Flogger FB page if they knew when they planned to arrive at OSH, and they said Tues around 2:30pm is the plan. Of course things can change, but nice to have an idea of when to expect them.

Sorry for all the questions. I'm an experienced air show attendee, but Oshkosh is new for me and a little overwhelming especially since this was planned essentially at the last-minute for me. Thanks in advance for any help/insight.
Regarding aircraft arrival notifications, EAA doesn't do a great job of timeboxing special/military arrivals outside of the headliners. Even then, they may give you a day, but no arrival time. They used to have a Boeing Plaza daily schedule (with times) that gave ideas of special arrivals. Now they just post the Boeing Plaza schedule on their FB page and you have to ID what's not already on the grounds to know what's arriving.
Best luck I've had is:
A) using a UHF Receiver or LiveATC to monitor ATC. My ears perk up when I hear 'Warbird Island' and/or a military callsign. You'll usually have a couple minutes to get ready for the arrival, and
B) This forum. Lots of people with lots of contacts here who are great at posting arrival information.
3 x

Pyrozak

Post by Pyrozak » Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:27 pm

Laskow2 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:16 am

mondays shows tickets are good for sunday also .....i believe the grounds are open from what iv heard from others on sunday
The grounds are open on Sunday if you have a Monday wristband. One thing to note though, is the exhibitor area will be 100% off limits unless you have the special orange lanyard. This is to help keep people away as the booths finish their set-ups. There is also a lot of heave machinery moving crates and pallets around as well. So as long as you steer clear of any exhibitor space (which includes Boeing Plaza usually) you are golden. Find a wing, park yourself, and enjoy all the planes coming in! That's where I will be!

Also, the B-52 will almost certainly arrive this week before the NOTAM takes effect. That way they can do the long process of removing runway lights, back-towing the plane, and resetting all the runway lights without disrupting the major arrival traffic.
Last edited by Pyrozak on Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Pyrotechnician - Tora Bomb Squad
Canon R7, Canon 80D, Canon 100-400mm, Sigma 60-600mm
Insta: @zakstowe

Return to “2023 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”