Cleveland National Air Show 2023

Discussion relating to 2023 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
nosaints24

Post by nosaints24 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:44 pm

F-14B wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:25 pm Marine Corp Harrier added to the show
It’s been there all along.
1 x

DannyFez

Post by DannyFez » Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:21 am

Looks like the 135 will be on it's own then, I was hoping the schedule would show it and the F-15(s) back to back for the chance of a formation AR demo. Mustn't grumble though I'll take it all the same.
0 x
🇬🇧

columbus_spots

Post by columbus_spots » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:23 pm

I've heard the USAF will not be landing any of their preforming aircraft at Lakefront and instead at Cleveland Hopkins Int. this is due to a history of bird strikes with USAF planes landing at Lakefront, if anyone can confirm or deny these claims that would be nice. (Heard this from an airshow volunteer)

And a bit more off topic from above, does anyone know the possibility of the F-22 doing a flare dump over the lake?
0 x

Imladris18

Post by Imladris18 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:47 pm

columbus_spots wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:23 pm I've heard the USAF will not be landing any of their preforming aircraft at Lakefront and instead at Cleveland Hopkins Int. this is due to a history of bird strikes with USAF planes landing at Lakefront, if anyone can confirm or deny these claims that would be nice. (Heard this from an airshow volunteer)

And a bit more off topic from above, does anyone know the possibility of the F-22 doing a flare dump over the lake?
I believe the actual reason is runway length requirements (bird strike thing is a common rumor), but yes all USAF demos except the A-10 stage from Hopkins.

Super Hornet and Harrier will stage at Burke.
0 x

columbus_spots

Post by columbus_spots » Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:57 pm

Imladris18 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:47 pm
columbus_spots wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:23 pm I've heard the USAF will not be landing any of their preforming aircraft at Lakefront and instead at Cleveland Hopkins Int. this is due to a history of bird strikes with USAF planes landing at Lakefront, if anyone can confirm or deny these claims that would be nice. (Heard this from an airshow volunteer)

I believe the actual reason is runway length requirements (bird strike thing is a common rumor), but yes all USAF demos except the A-10 stage from Hopkins.

"all USAF demos except the A-10 stage from Hopkins." by hearing that are you saying the A-10 Demo will be at cleveland this year? or am i overthinking it?
0 x

passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:28 pm

columbus_spots wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:57 pm

"all USAF demos except the A-10 stage from Hopkins." by hearing that are you saying the A-10 Demo will be at cleveland this year? or am i overthinking it?
I've been to Cleveland many times in the past 25+ years and I can honestly say that I don't recall seeing any USAF fighter take off or land at that airport. I've seen A-10s take off and land there, including the demo team. I think you need to reread that statement because they only told you what the USAF has done in the past.
0 x

Imladris18

Post by Imladris18 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:34 pm

Overthinking it lol. A-10 demo will be at Wings Over Batavia this weekend.

Just saying how the USAF demos in general operate when at CNAS.
0 x

columbus_spots

Post by columbus_spots » Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:39 pm

Imladris18 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:34 pm

ah okay, thanks for letting me know, im super exited for the airshow though, definitely the best Cleveland has been in a long time!
0 x

BigWonton

Post by BigWonton » Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:44 pm

Curious if anybody is planning on going downtown to catch any of the practice sessions on Friday.

It's been a couple of years since I've been down there but you used to be able to find a spot in Voinovich park for some decent photos - might try again this year.
0 x

dzirzow

Post by dzirzow » Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:22 pm

Imladris18 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:34 pm

It's been this way (officially or unofficially - you can choose version) since 1981 when the Thunderbirds lost their commander leaving after the show. Ingested bird on takeoff in T-38 and ejected into the breakwall. Hit youtube and you can see videos of both the Tbirds and Blues landing at Burke in F-4s. Is what it is.......
Last edited by dzirzow on Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Return to “2023 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”