Impact of Possible Government Shutdown

Discussion relating to 2023 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
RyanS

Impact of Possible Government Shutdown

Post by RyanS » Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:46 am

Just a heads up for those planning to go an airshow in the next couple of weeks - particularly those this weekend. ICAS sent out the following guidance to members today about the effects of a possible government shutdown this weekend.
According to media reports and multiple sources within the U.S. government, Congress is not likely to approve an FY24 spending bill before the beginning of the new federal fiscal year at 12:01 a.m. on Sunday, October 1. And that will likely have an impact on at least three issues for U.S. air shows yet to be held in October and November.

1. The U.S. Department of Defense has given informal, preparatory direction to its personnel that – if a budget is not approved by midnight on Saturday – participating aircraft and personnel will not be permitted to perform/appear at shows on Sunday, October 1. Most will be directed to return to their bases on Sunday morning, before air show audiences arrive at the show site. If a budget is subsequently approved by Congress, military performers will be permitted to immediately resume their air show activities.

2. In addition, military air shows scheduled for October and early November will not proceed unless or until Congress has approved an FY24 budget or a short-term extension. (Important note: Performers and vendors should check with their principal contacts at military air shows before making decisions related to their involvement in those events; specific direction may differ from base to base and those contacts may have more up to date information.)

3. The situation with the Federal Aviation Administration is less clear, but still a source of concern. Waivers approved for air shows on the weekend of September 30-October 1 will remain in effect and valid. The lack of monitors/inspectors caused by a government shutdown will not impact an air show’s ability to proceed with their event if a waiver has been approved and received by the air show. But it is possible, perhaps even likely, that work on waiver applications by FAA personnel will cease if an FY24 budget or temporary extension is not approved by Saturday night. ICAS encourages air shows scheduled for October and early November to immediately check with their IIC to see if final approval of the waiver application might be expedited and completed before close of business on this coming Friday, September 29.
No political flaming tolerated in this thread please
6 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Ken91

Post by Ken91 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:57 am

Crap. I hadn't been thinking about that. My next airshows are in late October and early November, so I'm hoping this is all settled by then.
0 x

dzirzow

Post by dzirzow » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:11 pm

I feel bad for organizers/promoters dealing with this.
1 x

AvgeekJoe

Post by AvgeekJoe » Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:26 am

Thank you for this. I am changing my plans accordingly. I expect a shutdown by Congresscritters.

Every single airshow should start taking this seriously, then call the Speaker at #:

Speaker Kevin McCarthy
DC Office: (202) 225-2915

Let the Honorable Speaker know what he's doing to our airshows. Speak kindly to the staffer taking the call, please. Kindness works.

ICAS and airshow fans have been there before. We'll be there and win again. Seems as if the Speaker forgot this generation of airshow superfans has had to deal with "sequestration", COVID and now this. Gone are the days of guaranteed summers of airshows, but also gone for good are the summers of glass ceilings. This is the generation led by studs like ICAS President John Cudahy.

I want to close with this thought Major Katie Higgins Cook would probably share in the ready room:
Calm seas don’t make a skilled sailor. It is not about the calm seas or the smooth sailing in your life. It is about the shortfalls or failures and how you deal with them and overcome them. You have to learn and move forward. That is how you shape yourself as a person, and in my case, as a Marine, Wife, and Mother.
What we need right now, methinks.
Last edited by AvgeekJoe on Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

AvgeekJoe

Post by AvgeekJoe » Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:29 pm

Some more intel, this time about the FAA.

From Simple Flying
Government agencies, including TSA, the Federal Air Marshal Service, and the FAA, are considered essential services. This means they will continue to operate. However, staff will be doing so without pay. In previous government shutdowns, employees have received back pay. Still, there was a rise in unscheduled absences as employees lost morale or could not afford fuel to return to their unpaid yet essential work.
Figure I should pass this on.
0 x

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:10 am

Got kind of a weird link in an email from Wings Over Houston related to this. The wording seems to suggest that if the government shuts down at all this weekend, no military assets will perform at Houston, which is October 14-15.

https://wingsoverhouston.com/2023-woha- ... guarantee/

Not sure why a shutdown this weekend would totally prevent performances in two weeks. Wondering if there has been a new development with military assets.
0 x
Matt

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:22 am

kalamazookid wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:10 am Got kind of a weird link in an email from Wings Over Houston related to this. The wording seems to suggest that if the government shuts down at all this weekend, no military assets will perform at Houston, which is October 14-15.

https://wingsoverhouston.com/2023-woha- ... guarantee/

Not sure why a shutdown this weekend would totally prevent performances in two weeks. Wondering if there has been a new development with military assets.
I'm sure it just depends how long the shutdown lasts. The teams will need time to get back into action and do their normal pre-show stuff so even if the shutdown ends early the week before the show, it might be too tight to get performances in.

I think that's a fantastic and honest idea by the show. For comparison, Salinas is outright lying about it, answering someone's question about the shutdown by saying the teams will still be there
1 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:08 pm

Last edited by n33d4sp33d_85 on Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

awal2049

Post by awal2049 » Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:36 am

It passed in the Senate as well. Hopefully this will keep the demo teams at the shows for tomorrow.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230930-223356_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20230930-223356_Google.jpg (66.64 KiB) Viewed 1859 times
1 x

Return to “2023 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”