2024 CenterPoint Energy Dayton Air Show

Discussion relating to 2024 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
midwest_photographer

Post by midwest_photographer » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:38 am

jackoliver13 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:09 am
midwest_photographer wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:49 pm This is a very underwhelming show lineup for a show like this, let alone an anniversary show.
Really hoping the guys can get some good military acts for us. I am not impressed with this lineup as of now.
Couldn't have said better myself. Right now I am only interested in the Blues and Viper demo, somewhat the Moose. Other than that it feels like another year of a mid-tier lineup. If we had last year's lineup for this year it would be easily justifiable. Really disappointed with how they have handled this year's show. Probably time for new management there.
Yeah man, but for some reason I have a gut feeling that they're really keeping it all a secret and actually have lots planned (hence the little amount of performances listed at the moment) but just is waiting until last minute to release it all.
0 x

Austin Hull

Post by Austin Hull » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:30 am

With less than 100 days left the show I am very disappointed with the lineup as of right now, for a big 50th anniversary show they really haven't given us much to get that excited about. I have heard that they are working on something big but I hope we get whatever it is soon.
0 x

EricP

Post by EricP » Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:03 pm

No F-35C for Dayton either. Show looks very, very unimpressive for a 50th anniversary.
0 x
Eric P.

midwest_photographer

Post by midwest_photographer » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:26 pm

EricP wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:03 pm No F-35C for Dayton either. Show looks very, very unimpressive for a 50th anniversary.
I have a feeling the 35C will come, they have a open slot at that time, and they have came to shows completely unannounced (OSH23, they never even announced it)

So theres still a chance, but I would not think its a very good chance
0 x

Airplanefreak2000

Post by Airplanefreak2000 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:31 pm

Guys I know it’s hard to hear but the days of old are gone. There is very little variety now as it is. With either people retiring, leaving the industry, or the unfortunate nature of the business, with very little new acts appearing yearly , there is very little variety out there anymore. It’s a big reason why I have started traveling a lot more to see new performers and acts. Dayton also isn’t the powerhouse it used to be.
1 x

jackoliver13

Post by jackoliver13 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:17 pm

Airplanefreak2000 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:31 pm Guys I know it’s hard to hear but the days of old are gone. There is very little variety now as it is. With either people retiring, leaving the industry, or the unfortunate nature of the business, with very little new acts appearing yearly , there is very little variety out there anymore. It’s a big reason why I have started traveling a lot more to see new performers and acts. Dayton also isn’t the powerhouse it used to be.
I couldn't agree more. Dayton has gone downhill so much ever since 2013. Whoever runs that show needs to be gone because they clearly don't know how to build a good lineup, let alone one for a 50th anniversary. I'm still going this year, namely because I already bought tickets for both days lol. But if and I mean IF they are cooking something, it had better be good. But as of right now I have lost all faith in them.
2 x

Airplanefreak2000

Post by Airplanefreak2000 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:32 pm

jackoliver13 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:17 pm
Airplanefreak2000 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:31 pm Guys I know it’s hard to hear but the days of old are gone. There is very little variety now as it is. With either people retiring, leaving the industry, or the unfortunate nature of the business, with very little new acts appearing yearly , there is very little variety out there anymore. It’s a big reason why I have started traveling a lot more to see new performers and acts. Dayton also isn’t the powerhouse it used to be.
I couldn't agree more. Dayton has gone downhill so much ever since 2013. Whoever runs that show needs to be gone because they clearly don't know how to build a good lineup, let alone one for a 50th anniversary. I'm still going this year, namely because I already bought tickets for both days lol. But if and I mean IF they are cooking something, it had better be good. But as of right now I have lost all faith in them.
It’s not the organizers. Most regional Airshow lineups are the same now a days because of cost to get west coast civilian acts to the east coast and vice versa unless it’s made into a tour like Erickson does or when swamp fox goes west. While we have a wonderful crew of Airshow performers now, we typically see the same over and over because that diversity just isn’t there. I wouldn’t still go to as many airshows as I do if that matters. If you’re unhappy with a show, staying home is your best option. This isn’t directed at you jackoliver. Just everyone in general who is unhappy with this show.
Last edited by Airplanefreak2000 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

CultOfTheWyvern

Post by CultOfTheWyvern » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:51 pm

jackoliver13 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:17 pm I couldn't agree more. Dayton has gone downhill so much ever since 2013. Whoever runs that show needs to be gone because they clearly don't know how to build a good lineup, let alone one for a 50th anniversary. I'm still going this year, namely because I already bought tickets for both days lol. But if and I mean IF they are cooking something, it had better be good. But as of right now I have lost all faith in them.
I've bitten my tongue for a while now in the interest of not degrading the forum with pointless argument, but this is a ridiculous take. Calling for people to be fired because you don't like what they're putting on display is beyond the pale. "Whoever runs that show" has broken attendance records consecutively over the past two years, so they know how to build a good lineup, one that appeals to the 90% of ticket holders who aren't aviation enthusiasts. They've booked some of the most sought-after acts on the circuit. The lineup may not be packed with fast noisy jets, but 1) Dayton is a civilian show and 2) allocation of military assets isn't up to them; they can request them, but where to send them is up to the Brass.

As for the 50th anniversary, let's be honest, it's marketing and nothing more. Sun 'n Fun is celebrating 50 years too and don't appear to be doing anything differently except slapping a big "50" on the logo and t-shirt. I'd still like them to do something, even if it's just a special flyby with a mix of acts already scheduled to appear, but I'm not aware of any precedent for air shows to do anything extraordinary to celebrate event milestones.

There are things about Dayton that I wish were handled a bit better, but some of these posts make it sound like it's the air show version of the Detroit Pistons.
5 x

passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:31 pm

Like I said earlier in the thread, I've been to a few airshows in Dayton - including the monster they had in 2003.

I wouldn't expect them to come anywhere near what they had in '03 in terms of numbers of jet teams, jet demos, acts, warbirds, etc. but I will say this - the lineup as it is now is pretty decent. There's a few civilian acts that I personally would go out of my way to go see over and over, and I'd certainly pencil in Dayton on my calendar if we weren't already committed to going to Canada that weekend.

What I've noticed with Dayton and a lot of other airshows is that you're in that time from early May to late September when you've got several airshows of all sizes competing for the same acts. It's the nature of the beast.

For a 50th anniversary airshow that's held at an international airport, I've got to congratulate them. You'd think that by now the airport wouldn't be able to handle an airshow with a jet team and jet demos because the airport serves more destinations for paying passengers than it did 5-10 years ago.

(Are they still taking off and landing airline traffic behind the crowd while the airshow goes on in front of the crowd?)
0 x

CultOfTheWyvern

Post by CultOfTheWyvern » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:06 am

passedgas46 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:31 pm (Are they still taking off and landing airline traffic behind the crowd while the airshow goes on in front of the crowd?)
Yep. And, having been privy to the ATC chaos that occurred when we did the same thing at Pittsburgh International in 2017, I applaud all parties for making it work!
0 x

Return to “2024 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”