Westmoreland County Air Show 2024

Discussion relating to 2024 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
aolbeter

Post by aolbeter » Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:55 pm

passedgas46 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:20 am I'm going to stir the pot a little bit.

Let me start by saying that it's great that the F-35A will be there. It's certainly going to be an F-35A heavy year for my family and I and it's a damn good demo. The A-10 and Osprey seemed to be up close and personal at Latrobe and I can only imagine what the F-35A will be like.

Going back to my original question of the date change. I referenced earlier the Thunderbirds had two open weekends in August and one of them would need to be time off. Time off is now the weekend of Latrobe. It is what it is. They also put on a great show when they were in Latrobe. I've followed along with the announcements while at work and as I've stated elsewhere, I know I'm not the only one who thought it was strange that it is individual airshows are making the announcement of having the Frecce Tricolori as a headlining act and not the jet team making a "Here is our 2024 show schedule" announcement. Coincidentally, there is a very convenient opening in the schedule where Latrobe would be, based on these new dates, and it would damn near make sense geographically that they'd come to Latrobe (and one other show immediately beforehand). In my opinion, there is no way this show switched dates only to accommodate an F-35 demonstration.

I've seen the Frecce Tricolori when they were here in 1986 and 1992 and thankfully didn't have to travel far to see them - I believe the team made the announcement of tour locations but I honestly can't remember.

Regardless, I still have Latrobe on my calendar for 2024.

Yes, they do have a weekend off during Aug, I had the opportunity to have a meet and greet with them last year the friday before the airshow.
0 x

passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:04 pm

aolbeter wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:55 pm
Yes, they do have a weekend off during Aug, I had the opportunity to have a meet and greet with them last year the friday before the airshow.
Are you referring to the Thunderbirds? They're supposed to have a weekend off in August; it's been that way for at least 20 years.

The Italians not being there (or in Atlantic City a few days prior) still makes zero sense considering where they'll be the weekend before and the weekend after.
0 x

CultOfTheWyvern

Post by CultOfTheWyvern » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:45 am

Yay, Precision Exotics is coming back.

(Where's the sarcasm font when you need it?)
Last edited by CultOfTheWyvern on Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Austin Hull

Post by Austin Hull » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:17 am

Pretty sure this is the final line up, honestly not a bad show. I do kinda hope we have better statics compared to last years which was still pretty decent. Really hoping the A400 comes back but I really doubt it.
0 x

passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:45 am

Austin Hull wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:17 am Pretty sure this is the final line up, honestly not a bad show. I do kinda hope we have better statics compared to last years which was still pretty decent. Really hoping the A400 comes back but I really doubt it.
This might be a 12-3:30 pm show at the very most.

I'd expect either the airshow, airport, or David Schultz Airshows announcing static displays much closer to the show dates. It would not surprise me if the USN sends at least one T-6B Texan II since there's one aviator who is from the Greater Latrobe area.
0 x

Austin Hull

Post by Austin Hull » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:15 pm

According to the Airshows website, the P-40 “American Dream” will be making a return. This is starting to remind me of the 2022 show a lot.
0 x

Return to “2024 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”