Thunder Over Louisville 2024

Discussion relating to 2024 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
MattEv14

Post by MattEv14 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:30 pm

I noticed looking at the TFR that they have 11am-5pm listed for Friday practice. I seem to recall that is way more time than they usually block off and certainly more than they will need given that most of the flyovers won't practice. My gut tells me that practice will actually only need 3 hours or less of that window. I will be traveling in from Pennsylvania and try to time my arrival for late morning. If anyone gets any intel on specific practice timing for Friday (especially when the fast movers are going up I would appreciate it if you could post it or Private Message me). Thanks!

On another note, bad news for viewing and potentially for the airshow. The riverfront walk is completely flooded currently apparently. The forecast does have it receding some by Friday, but additional rounds of storms early this week could make the situation worse. Not ideal as I planned to sit to to the right of the Belle and to the left of the Clark Bridge getting their first thing in the AM to reserve a spot by the railing. They even reference it could impact the performers and require a flat show if the river is unsafe for rescue divers? Let's hope the next rounds of storms miss there this week.

https://www.wdrb.com/derby_150/some-pri ... a2ef4.html

Matt
0 x

BruceK

Post by BruceK » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:56 pm

B-52 out of Barksdale just did a flyby and then landed at the airport, smoking the tires to get stopped! The 52 is so big he had to back taxi on the runway. F-16, Hercs have been doing touch n gos. Sierra Bravo is live streaming today and will live stream the practice day activities from the ramp (12:30pm) tomorrow!
1 x

iamsam2407

Post by iamsam2407 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:20 pm

Where would the best place to view some of the low level helicopter action be?

Thanks,

Sam
0 x

dzirzow

Post by dzirzow » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:32 pm

Anyone know if practice delayed to weather?
0 x

BruceK

Post by BruceK » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:13 pm

dzirzow wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:32 pm Anyone know if practice delayed to weather?
It is but arrivals are going on - C-17/KC-135, Hawkeyes, A400, Blackhawks, Hercs, etc.
0 x

BruceK

Post by BruceK » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:14 pm

Nice practice day saw the following on the live stream:

Two A-10 “Warthogs” 47 FS, Davis-Monthan
A-400M Atlas Luftwaffe
C-130J "Super Hercules" KY ANG three ship, plus another
Matt Younkin's Twin Beech
Two Navy EA-18 Growlers Demo Team
Barry Avent's FG-1D Corsair Legacy Flight
Navy E-2D Hawkeyes Two Ship, on ramp didn't see fly
Navy MH-53 Sea Dragon Helicopter
Two UH-60 Blackhawks Helocast
USAF B-52 did not fly today, will return to airport after the show and depart Monday
USAF C-17 Globemaster III AETC Training Command (another C-17 from Wright Patt was at the airport but not part of the show)
USAF KC-135 Stratotanker AETC Training Command
Two USAF F-16 Viper DEMO, gray jets not the Viper scheme
P-51D "Happy Jack's Go Buggy" Heritage Flight
Two USAF T-1A Jayhawks, landed yesterday
USAF “Wings of Blue” Parachute Team heard ATC refer to them.
Late arrival after live stream Coast Guard Dolphin Helicopter

I heard someone say that some aircraft were basing out of Bowman Field which maybe where a lot of the civilian stuff is.
0 x

midwest_photographer

Post by midwest_photographer » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:58 pm

I have unfortunately been told that the CF-18's had to call off due to them not being able to get a tanker for the flight
(Personally I believe that is a very BAD reason to not come, when they can just stop somewhere and get fuel instead of a tanker)
1 x

CultOfTheWyvern

Post by CultOfTheWyvern » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:21 am

midwest_photographer wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:58 pm I have unfortunately been told that the CF-18's had to call off due to them not being able to get a tanker for the flight
(Personally I believe that is a very BAD reason to not come, when they can just stop somewhere and get fuel instead of a tanker)
The RCAF clearly doesn't agree with you. There are a lot of problems with the assumption that they can "just stop somewhere and get fuel" but it could be that the whole purpose of their appearance was a training flight that involved air-to-air refueling, and absent that possibility, the mission makes no military sense to conduct.

Operating military aircraft isn't like hopping in your homebuilt and going for a Sunday jaunt.
2 x

Gdcole2

Post by Gdcole2 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:21 am

CultOfTheWyvern wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:21 am
midwest_photographer wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:58 pm I have unfortunately been told that the CF-18's had to call off due to them not being able to get a tanker for the flight
The RCAF clearly doesn't agree with you. There are a lot of problems with the assumption that they can "just stop somewhere and get fuel" but it could be that the whole purpose of their appearance was a training flight that involved air-to-air refueling, and absent that possibility, the mission makes no military sense to conduct.

Operating military aircraft isn't like hopping in your homebuilt and going for a Sunday jaunt.
Concur. As frustrating as it is, on the flip side, we're all lucky to see these aircraft (F-16, EA-18, etc.) at all.

It does appear the CF-18's are not listed in the latest line-up. Hopefully no one else misses tomorrow, or this is going to be a very disappointing show compared to the initial line-up.
0 x

Nate_Burrows

Post by Nate_Burrows » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:24 am

For those going here’s your schedule for tomorrow. Dunno if it’s been posted yet or not.
Attachments
IMG_1569.jpeg
IMG_1569.jpeg (301.53 KiB) Viewed 399 times
0 x
Nate Burrows
@HawkeyeAvGeek on Instagram & TikTok

Return to “2024 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”