New Blue Angels Documentary to Release on May 23, 2024

Post your airshow-related threads here! For specific airshows, please use the year-specific forum.
awal2049

New Blue Angels Documentary to Release on May 23, 2024

Post by awal2049 » Thu May 11, 2023 12:03 pm

JJ Abrams has directed a new Blue Angel Documentary that follows the team through a year of air shows. Glenn Powell was also involved in the production. "The Blue Angels" will release in IMAX theaters on May 17, 2024 before heading to Amazon Prime Video on May 23, 2024.

https://www.military.com/off-duty/movie ... ntary.html
Last edited by awal2049 on Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.
0 x

Nighthawk117

Post by Nighthawk117 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:09 pm

Somebody have news about this movie?
0 x
Look at your six, It's me!!!

awal2049

Post by awal2049 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:39 am

Looked a couple of weeks ago and just checked again, but no update since the announcement. I’d imagine it’s still going to exist, but given the lack of promo at this point, I think it’s a safe bet it won’t come out this year. I’ve updated the thread title.
0 x

Chris S

Post by Chris S » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:37 pm

The new Blue Angels IMAX movie trailer was just released and it looks AWESOME!!
The movie wil be in IMAX theaters for one week only starting on May 17th,
before it starts streaming on Amazon Prime on May 23rd.

2 x

Chris S

Post by Chris S » Thu May 09, 2024 10:29 pm

Just a week to go and a new behind the scenes trailer for the new Blue Angels IMAX movie
was released today and the footage really looks AMAZING !!! :shock: :D
0 x

wfooshee

Post by wfooshee » Fri May 24, 2024 2:12 pm

It went online on Prime Video last night and I watched it. I did not get a chance to see it at an IMAX theater. I was on call for work this past weekend and couldn't commit to time away from the phone and computer, and during the week it was matinee only, so I would have had to skip work. Even worse, it's not available at IMAX any more after this week.

Having watched it on Prime, I truly wish I could have had the IMAX experience with it!

I was at the Pensacola Beach show the year this was made, and saw the crowd of people out on the pier, thinking, "How the heck did THOSE guys get permission to be out there?! The pier is always CLOSED during the airshow!" Having seen the shots they got from there, I'm very glad they were there!

The processes the members of the squadron go through, from winter training to Homecoming, practices, debriefs, travel, and then selection of newbies during the year, is all very well covered in this film, as well as absolutely incredible aerial photography.

All I can say to be on a special lookout for is Yankee Set!!!
Last edited by wfooshee on Fri May 24, 2024 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Bingofuel

Post by Bingofuel » Sun May 26, 2024 10:22 pm

Luckily I managed to set to an IMAX theater this week to see this. Incredible footage, such a great documentary to see on the big screen.

Maybe a very minor nitpick would be the use of too much music instead of jet noise? But that's my personal preference otherwise it was still outstanding.
0 x

passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Mon May 27, 2024 2:13 pm

My wife and I sat down last night and watched it. Incredible, and I know I'll watch it more than once, and maybe even take it with me when I travel.

Since it covered the 2022 season, I'm surprised there's some storylines that weren't told - or maybe they were and it just didn't fit the 92 minute runtime. I think the story could have been told about "we're performing here (Kingsville) in front of what would be future F-18 pilots", "we're performing here (Dover) alongside our Air Force brothers and sisters", and "we're performing here (Oceana) in front of those possible future Blue Angel applicants". Those could have easily made the film longer, and I honestly wish it was.

One thing I will say is that this felt like a refreshed version of the four part Discovery Channel documentary on the Blues that was filmed during the 2004 airshow season.
0 x