2018 EAA AirVenture at Oshkosh

Discussion relating to 2018 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:43 pm

Airplanefreak2000 wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:21 am I would swear I saw somewhere that VWOC of Canada was bringing some planes and the hurricane was one of them. I can’t remember where I saw it. I think it was a random Facebook post. Maybe it was a dream lol.
Unfortunately, the Hurricane IV was recently sold to a new owner. I believe it is going to Belgium. VWOC does still have a Hurricane XII under restoration, but I don't think it's close to flight. Maybe they can bring the Spitfire IX they completed last year since they sold the Spitfire XVI.
Last edited by kalamazookid on Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Matt

Aerosur1989

Post by Aerosur1989 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:48 am

I have been going to EAA for the last three years and they always out do themselves from the prior year.
That being said, I am not sure how 2018 can be "Better" then 2017. Hopefully they have something up their sleeves, but it does not seem that 2018 will be living up to the hype.

Granted EAA is unique in that the aerobatic box is a big factor, but I am really surprised at the missing out on:
F-22
F-18
A-10
F-35
AV-8B
Fifi wont be returning, F-16 seems to be doing HF flights only and I dont have much hope on RAF aircraft attendance, beyond cold/modern military planes.

I guess EAA will make some of it up with the Twin Yak and Tanker week, but its a shame to see that 2018, may not have the level of "wow" as 2017.

Any thoughts?
0 x

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:24 pm

If your thing is military aircraft and demo teams, I can see why you'd be underwhelmed by the lineup so far. Personally, I'd rather the major demo teams stay away. The show line stinks when they fly and it's not worth the hassle. At least with Heritage Flights, they can stick with the normal show line.

I expect more military participation to be added. It always seems like most of those aircraft aren't announced until later. I don't recall there being much more than a month's notice on the B-52 or A-10s the past couple years, or the F-15s in 2016. I could be misremembering though.

I'm not optimistic about major military participation for RAF 100, but I am excited about the possibilities with warbirds. It would be awesome to see the Canadian Warplane Heritage Lancaster fly with a couple Spitfires. There should be some exciting new warbird restorations like the Texas Flying Legends P-51C and Bearcat, the Vintage Flying Museum B-26K Invader and hopefully the Berlin Airlift C-97. I'm also holding out hope that the XP-82 will be finished in time, but that might be unrealistic at this point.

Just going to Oshkosh is always a "wow" factor for me. This will be my fourth year in a row. Every year has had something unique that will always stick out in my mind. The Twin Yak doesn't do anything for me, but I'm sure there will be many more additions coming.
0 x
Matt

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:28 pm

Per a post on WIX, Vintage Wings of Canada is indeed sending the Spitfire IX.
0 x
Matt

ABQMangoChallenger

Post by ABQMangoChallenger » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:18 pm

Per the Airventure website released the other day:

April 26, 2018 - The initial flying schedule for participating warbirds at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2018 has been finalized. This information is provided to enable warbird pilots to plan their flying activities for the week. The timing, size, and composition of each day’s show is subject to change based on the number and type of aircraft that are signed up. Daily sign-up sheets will be posted at Warbird Headquarters, and pilots are encouraged to sign up for each day they intend to fly as soon as possible upon their arrival at Oshkosh. The warbird briefing will be held daily at 12 p.m.

Monday, July 23: T-28s, T-34s, Red Stars, L-Birds

Tuesday, July 24: T-6s, T-28s, P-51s, B-25s

Wednesday, July 25: T-28s, T-34s, Red Stars, L-Birds, Bombers, Transports, Jets

Thursday, July 26: All Warbird Jets

Friday, July 27: All Warbird Aircraft

Saturday, July 28: All Warbird Aircraft
0 x

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Thu May 24, 2018 3:37 pm

Per the Airventure site, Tom Reilly's XP-82 Twin Mustang could debut at Oshkosh! The aircraft is in its final stages of restoration. That would be an incredible addition to the show!

Also saw on the Airventure site that a Boeing E-4 will be performing fly-bys.
0 x
Matt

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Thu May 24, 2018 3:50 pm

kalamazookid wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 3:37 pm Per the Airventure site, Tom Reilly's XP-82 Twin Mustang could debut at Oshkosh! The aircraft is in its final stages of restoration. That would be an incredible addition to the show!

There isn't a ton I get overly excited about these days, but that is pretty great news. Let's all hope the P-82 actually flies in the show though. The big A-20 reveal sure was stupid when it never moved.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

BruceK

Post by BruceK » Thu May 24, 2018 7:59 pm

RyanS wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 3:50 pm
kalamazookid wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 3:37 pm Per the Airventure site, Tom Reilly's XP-82 Twin Mustang could debut at Oshkosh! The aircraft is in its final stages of restoration. That would be an incredible addition to the show!

There isn't a ton I get overly excited about these days, but that is pretty great news. Let's all hope the P-82 actually flies in the show though. The big A-20 reveal sure was stupid when it never moved.
Yea, was more than a bit miffed about not seeing the A-20 fly. To be fair it did fly a photo mission during the week. We saw it taxiing in at 7:30am one morning as we arrived. :evil:

Since his stated purpose is to eventually sell the plane I expect Reilly to have the XP-82 fly during the show. The best advertisement for it, with thousands of people watching and hundreds of photos and videos of it.
0 x

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Tue May 29, 2018 5:10 pm

The C-17 Globemaster III is coming to AirVenture this year. It will performing a demo in the afternoon airshow(s) and will also be parked in Boeing Plaza! Details on times of appearances at Boeing Plaza and demos will be revealed at a later date.

A demo by this big boy will look awesome at the regular burn line!

https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-a ... airventure
Last edited by Dan Gagnon on Tue May 29, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Dan Gagnon

Airplanefreak2000

Post by Airplanefreak2000 » Tue May 29, 2018 6:47 pm

Hopefully with cavanaugh probably attending. Maybe they’ll do the cargo heritage flight.
0 x

Return to “2018 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”