Sky Drive 2023 (presented by Airshow London)

Discussion relating to 2023 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:32 pm

4 x F-15 Eagles from the Oregon ANG added to the static display!

0 x
Dan Gagnon

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:09 pm

Two more aircraft announcements:

An MC-130J Commando II from Kirtland AFB has been added to the flying display on Friday and Saturday Only!

A C-130H2 Hercules from the Missouri ANG has been added to the static display!

Last edited by Dan Gagnon on Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Dan Gagnon

DannyFez

Post by DannyFez » Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:11 pm

Friday & Saturday only again :roll: . Looks like I'm gonna have to skip Waukegan and fork out for a Saturday ticket as well at this rate.
0 x
🇬🇧

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:54 pm

My plans have changed for the weekend and I will be selling my Yellow Zone, front row 3-day photo pass if anyone here wants it.

I still hope to be there just don't need the full car load ticket :)

Shoot me an email or private message if you're interested.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

DannyFez

Post by DannyFez » Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:51 pm

Detroit MH-65D and Traverse City MH-60T both flying. Assuming all 3 days as it doesn't specify otherwise.

Airshow London
50 m ·
INBOUND FOR AIRSHOW LONDON 2023: THE US COAST GUARD 🎉
The US Coast Guard is coming to Airshow London to celebrate our 95th Anniversary!
✈️ The MH-65 Dolphin from the Coast Guard Air Station (CGAS) Detroit, Selfridge ANGB will be in the skies this year!
✈️ Also in the skies will be the MH-60 Jayhawk from the CGAS Traverse City, Michigan!
#airshowlondon #skydrive #makeityourmission #airshowlondon2023

1 x
🇬🇧

Faust

Post by Faust » Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:15 pm

These are awesome announcements, but I sure do wish they'd update the Website faster.

I checked this morning and was disappointed to see nothing new, so I came here and BAM!

I guess I'm old-fashioned, since I don't like social media...
0 x

DannyFez

Post by DannyFez » Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:45 pm

Drone and firework show on the Friday.

0 x
🇬🇧

DannyFez

Post by DannyFez » Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:50 pm

Faust wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:15 pm These are awesome announcements, but I sure do wish they'd update the Website faster.

I checked this morning and was disappointed to see nothing new, so I came here and BAM!

I guess I'm old-fashioned, since I don't like social media...
I don't either, I only really look at it to check for show updates, at least it's useful for that.
0 x
🇬🇧

ilaska

Post by ilaska » Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:57 pm

Dan Gagnon wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:06 pm
jhtolatc wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:35 pm Hi,

A friend and I are coming up from Toledo and doing the full three-day weekend photo pit and arriving early Thursday…where’s the best spot to watch Thursday and Friday arrivals?
Hey jhtolatc!

If you have the 3 day photo pass you'll have access to the airfield on the Friday at noon. So you'll see the full practice day plus the Friday evening show, "Friday Night Afterburner show". There might be some arrivals on the Friday, but they usually all arrive Thursday or during the Friday evening show.

There are 3 spots for Thursday arrivals (these roads will be closed Friday, Saturday and Sunday).

1) Robins Hill Road - this area might be dicey as it's off to the side of the road, so law enforcement might boot you. End of RWY 15

2) Creamery Road - is off the main roads and even has an observation park! End of RWY 33

3) Katana Cafe area - this has a side view of arrivals but a fence is obstructs the view. Plus it is right by the Katana Cafe, which is a business. In the past, they haven't kicked anyone out, especially if spotters respect their parking area and don't disrupt business.

The arrivals days can be amazing depending on weather. Last year was amazing, but I rememer there was one year when cloud celings were really low and barely anything did any missed approaches.

I have attatched google maps pins for the 3 spots:

Hope this helps!
Great info here, thank you! I'm thinking of coming down Thursday as well, any idea what the rough arrival time window is or has been in the past?
0 x

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:13 pm

ilaska wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:57 pm
Dan Gagnon wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:06 pm
jhtolatc wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:35 pm Hi,

A friend and I are coming up from Toledo and doing the full three-day weekend photo pit and arriving early Thursday…where’s the best spot to watch Thursday and Friday arrivals?
Hey jhtolatc!

If you have the 3 day photo pass you'll have access to the airfield on the Friday at noon. So you'll see the full practice day plus the Friday evening show, "Friday Night Afterburner show". There might be some arrivals on the Friday, but they usually all arrive Thursday or during the Friday evening show.

There are 3 spots for Thursday arrivals (these roads will be closed Friday, Saturday and Sunday).

1) Robins Hill Road - this area might be dicey as it's off to the side of the road, so law enforcement might boot you. End of RWY 15

2) Creamery Road - is off the main roads and even has an observation park! End of RWY 33

3) Katana Cafe area - this has a side view of arrivals but a fence is obstructs the view. Plus it is right by the Katana Cafe, which is a business. In the past, they haven't kicked anyone out, especially if spotters respect their parking area and don't disrupt business.

The arrivals days can be amazing depending on weather. Last year was amazing, but I rememer there was one year when cloud celings were really low and barely anything did any missed approaches.

I have attatched google maps pins for the 3 spots:

Hope this helps!
Great info here, thank you! I'm thinking of coming down Thursday as well, any idea what the rough arrival time window is or has been in the past?
I have been hearing rumours that Creamery Rd might be closed on Thursday now. Not sure how accurate that is, but something to keep in mind. The only time I remember Creamery Rd being closed on a Thursday was for the Blues because they do a full show practice on Thursdays (And the Blues aren't coming this year). Definately would suck if the Thursday closure is true, as it great spotting location.
0 x
Dan Gagnon

Return to “2023 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”