Nellis AFB Aviation Nation 2017

Discussion relating to 2017 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Nielis

Post by Nielis » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:33 pm

Guys,

Is everything expected to arrive on Thursday? or can we also expect some arrivals on Friday?

By the way, are airband scanners allowed in the US?

I'm coming over from Holland and really looking forward to visit Aviation Nation
0 x

KC_Aviation

Post by KC_Aviation » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:38 pm

Almost all arrivals are on Thursday for Nellis. Thursday is a very busy day usually. Friday is usually quiet in the morning, then they get into a practice show from there.
The scanner will not be allowed inside the base. Of course, no problem using it outside the base on Thursday and Friday.

David
0 x

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:58 pm

For those who cannot attend The Nellis Air and Space Expo this year, you are in luck!

Live Airshow TV will be live streaming this year's event!

http://liveairshowtv.com/liveairshowtv- ... pace-expo/
Nielis wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:33 pm Guys,

Is everything expected to arrive on Thursday? or can we also expect some arrivals on Friday?
To add to this, there is also regular base ops that go on as well. There are unfortunately no Green Flag exercises coinciding with the dates this year, but I can only assume regular base ops make it some what active. In addition to regular base ops and arrivals, the Thunderbirds will do their site survey on Thursday as well.

Friday is obviously practice day. Most flying is a little far away if you are viewing off base, but some aircraft will fly closer over either the Speedway or Cheyenne spots, especially the Thunderbirds
0 x
Dan Gagnon

jeffhq

Post by jeffhq » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:53 pm

Hey guys ,im getting a bit confused with the flying and static display
line ups ,the nellis web site keeps updating as does the phone app ,
but they seem to be diffrent. For example on the web site the B2
flyover has been removed but is still on the app,also app shows
statics like C5, B52,AC47 where web page doesnt?.Also heard back from
RTC buses, and at this stage they are not running any special service
for airshow... Any thoughts.
jeff.
0 x

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:57 am

jeffhq wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:53 pm Hey guys ,im getting a bit confused with the flying and static display
line ups ,the nellis web site keeps updating as does the phone app ,
but they seem to be diffrent. For example on the web site the B2
flyover has been removed but is still on the app,also app shows
statics like C5, B52,AC47 where web page doesnt?.Also heard back from
RTC buses, and at this stage they are not running any special service
for airshow... Any thoughts.
jeff.
Jeff,

I just checked out the app, and it is definitely different from the website for performers and static. I think some of the aircraft listed on the app might be from last year's show. It's possible the app is slower to update new info, then the website. On a side note, they have a schedule listed on their website, and now includes an MQ-9 Reaper demo. That is a very interesting addition!

As for the RTC, that's a shame. It seems the show was "easier" to get to, for those without a car last year, then this year. As I have said, the parking map, which I can't seem to open on the website, has a taxi/uber drop off point at the speedway.
0 x
Dan Gagnon

samoth97

Post by samoth97 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:05 pm

I looked at Nellis website this morning for the air show 2017 and got even more depressed. Couple of months ago I saw B-2 flyover for Saturday, F-35 demo, the PAVE Hawk rescue thingy....now they removed it. This always seems to be the case, they start out with an awesome line up but as we get closer to the date they start refining the schedule and performers get cut or drop off the schedule. Don't they know, people like me and others want to see more military jet performers like a F-15 solo performance, B-1, B-2, B-52, and F-35 demo. I mean, it's the 70th anniversary for crying out loud! Give us a good show! We really want to see the military jets!
0 x

rhinonavy

Post by rhinonavy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:27 pm

They've grouped all the HH-60 CSAR/air-to-air/and CAS demo into a USAF "Warfighter demo". The air show director confirmed on Facebook that F-35s would be in the USAF demo along with F-15s and F-16s... They'll fly. Maybe they're incorporating the B-2 into that as well? I don't know.
0 x

samoth97

Post by samoth97 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:48 am

Rhinonavy, Thank you for the response. I'm excited again. Good to know!
Last edited by samoth97 on Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

samoth97

Post by samoth97 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:49 am

Does anyone know the best spot for taxi, takeoff, and landing photo opp? (Nellis Air Show 2017). Thanks!

Or does it depend on the day of (e.g. wind direction and other factors)?

2 years ago (2015) I was on the north side of the runway and the were taking off to the south. Got some good pictures of the F-15 and F-16 taxiing up.

Last year (2016) they were taking off to the north so I missed the taxiing. But Got some good landing photos.
Last edited by samoth97 on Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

jimlar89

Post by jimlar89 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:00 pm

Some great additions to the static lineup - AC-130U, B-52 Stratofortress, C-17 Globemaster III, MH-65 Dolphin and C-5 Galaxy. Okay so now I'm excited for the show!!
0 x

Return to “2017 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”