2022 Aviation Nation

Discussion relating to 2022 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
kstater94

Post by kstater94 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:24 pm

MattEv14 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:22 pm While I too would like to see a bit more creativity in the lineup for the AF 75 Anniversary, it seems a bit harsh to call a show with 5 Tac demos, a combined arms demo, and the Thunderbirds a "pathetic lineup". You will literally have 6-7 different models of current fighters in the air. Spoiled much?

I can't think of many if any shows in the US that will have more iron in the air than Nellis this year. Would I like to see some vintage and current Air Force bombers in the air among other things? Absolutely, but I think you need to realize this isn't the 1980's anymore and if anything we are lucky to get a lineup of this caliber when you compare it to other shows in the US.

Matt
Having been to the AF 50th at Nellis, I expected something along those lines. While I am a realist who understands that there are a lot of types that have since been withdrawn, I also thought that this year's show would be different in some way. As was pointed out in a post after mine, seems a lot like 2019.

The other reason I'm not "over the moon" is that it seems that *most* of the types being put on display are are those that are based there which one would certainly expect.

As I said, I just thought there would be a little more emphasis on the milestone that is the 75th.

At the end of the day, to each there own.

John
0 x

HungrySharkHero

Post by HungrySharkHero » Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:37 pm

kstater94 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:05 pm IMHO (and purely speaking for myself) given that this is the Air Force's 75th Anniversary, this show line up looks extremely pathetic.

Par for the course I guess as I have seen *most* shows getting weaker over the years.

I booked airline tickets to Vegas for this show. However, based on what I'm seeing, I'll probably cancel them and go somewhere else.

Regards,
John
The only shows I’ve been to are the JBLM Air and Warrior expo (4 times) SeaFair (one time), and the Arlington fly-in (one time). With these shows you are lucky to see one Tac Demo, so seeing that Aviation Nation this year has three is a treat in and of itself.

Then there is the combined arms demo which is nothing like I’ve ever seen in person, so that alone is enticing.

I’ve seen the Thunderbirds and Blue Angles, so that’s par for the course, but everything else is looking fantastic.

Of course I would have loved to see a B1-B fly or the Viper West team to be on the schedule, but I am impressed by the lineup so far.

MattEv14 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:06 pm So naturally right after I talked up the show I noticed the Horseman F-86 team isn't listed on the website anymore. Not sure if anyone already called that out on here, but that is a really disappointing loss considering how light the vintage AF lineup is. Interestingly, they still do list the F-86 for the heritage flight, so maybe we will still have at least one flying in the show.

On another note, I wouldn't say that performer lineup is set in stone being being how inaccurate the website has been at times the last few months. Who knows.. Maybe there will be a surprise or two.

Matt
That really sucks, I have never seen the Horseman F86 team before, would have been cool to experience.

I am hoping for additional performers are added, not the opposite.
0 x

Chris Smallenberg

Post by Chris Smallenberg » Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:30 pm

Quick question for those that have attended in recent years and have gone out to Las Vegas Boulevard near the Speedway for show arrivals/base activities. We are planning on being there on Friday but I'm wondering now if that is more of a practice day and if most arrivals will be there Thursday and if base activities will be quiet that day. I'm recalling now that the last time I did this, back in 2007, Friday was a show day for military/media and arrivals were Thursday. Was just curious if anyone has recent experience on what will likely be happening at the base on Friday before the show. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Chris
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:49 pm

In 2019 I remember seeing pretty much the full show on Friday (practices) but not many arrivals. I don't remember if that was because they were already there, or if they just landed at the other end or something.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:11 pm

Chris Smallenberg wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:30 pm Quick question for those that have attended in recent years and have gone out to Las Vegas Boulevard near the Speedway for show arrivals/base activities. We are planning on being there on Friday but I'm wondering now if that is more of a practice day and if most arrivals will be there Thursday and if base activities will be quiet that day. I'm recalling now that the last time I did this, back in 2007, Friday was a show day for military/media and arrivals were Thursday. Was just curious if anyone has recent experience on what will likely be happening at the base on Friday before the show. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Chris
When I attended in 2016. Most, if not, all arrivals happened on Thursday. There was also regular base ops on Thursday as well. Friday was practice day with no base ops
0 x
Dan Gagnon

Airplanefreak2000

Post by Airplanefreak2000 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:09 pm

RyanS wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:49 pm In 2019 I remember seeing pretty much the full show on Friday (practices) but not many arrivals. I don't remember if that was because they were already there, or if they just landed at the other end or something.
Can confirm only non Airshow arrival was a P-8 Poseidon early that morning. There wasn’t any afterwards. No base ops Friday either.
0 x

Chris Smallenberg

Post by Chris Smallenberg » Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:24 am

Thanks everyone for the responses. Looks like hanging around outside the base Friday will be a dud. Will look for other things to do in the area, perhaps a trip to the Grand Canyon...

Speaking of the show itself, has anyone heard if the US Navy is planning a Legacy Flight with the Super Hornet and Growlers both in attendance?

Chris
0 x

ZenKusa

Post by ZenKusa » Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:07 am

Chris Smallenberg wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:24 am Thanks everyone for the responses. Looks like hanging around outside the base Friday will be a dud. Will look for other things to do in the area, perhaps a trip to the Grand Canyon...

Speaking of the show itself, has anyone heard if the US Navy is planning a Legacy Flight with the Super Hornet and Growlers both in attendance?

Chris
You should go on friday anyways, you can get some great views of the practice for the combat demo! I've met some people who got the best pictures of their flare release from outside of the base!
0 x

Chris Smallenberg

Post by Chris Smallenberg » Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:58 pm

ZenKusa wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:07 am
Chris Smallenberg wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:24 am Thanks everyone for the responses. Looks like hanging around outside the base Friday will be a dud. Will look for other things to do in the area, perhaps a trip to the Grand Canyon...

Chris
You should go on friday anyways, you can get some great views of the practice for the combat demo! I've met some people who got the best pictures of their flare release from outside of the base!
Fair point. Something to consider....
0 x

HungrySharkHero

Post by HungrySharkHero » Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:31 am

They’ve updated the performers list, notably the F-86 was removed from the heritage flight, but they added an F-22 to the combined arms demonstration.
E487F365-F948-4A6E-BEC1-586C7F5CA5CE.png
E487F365-F948-4A6E-BEC1-586C7F5CA5CE.png (599.43 KiB) Viewed 2264 times
0 x

Return to “2022 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”