Thunder Over Louisville 2022

Discussion relating to 2022 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
RyanS

Post by RyanS » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:32 pm

MattEv14 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:59 pm I too wondered about this as this will be my first year attending. I have been told this can be a frustrating show as a lot of the flyovers don't cover the same flight path so they can often be pretty far away. Not sure if the larger show box would change that.

In looking at Ryan's videos it appears down by the Belle of Louisville is a decent spot. I would assume it is slightly less crowded on this side then it would be on the Great Lawn or at the riverfront parks?

Also, any idea what time I should plan to get down there on Saturday to get a decent seat? Based on the NOTAM just released it appears the show actually doesn't start until 4pm this year, which I believe is at least an hour later than usual. Hopefully the flying display is at least what was previously announced, but I was hoping for additional military fly-overs.

Lastly, from anyone's experience, how are they with coolers? IE do they typically check them upon arrival? I was just curious if we could sneak in a couple of adult beverages in addition to food, waters, and sodas :D Any intel people could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt
Yeah, it's a weird event for people used to airshows.

Each time I have gone, I have ended up near the Belle. No tickets were required, and there were no security restrictions. During the show it is crowded everywhere - I know airshow people who have sat out since pre-dawn hours to get a front row seat in prime places. I think the latest I have gotten there is like 1pm and we just plopped down in the middle of the masses. If the river is flooded it is even more challenging to find a spot.

I know you can get VIP seats on the elevated plaza if you buy a Pegasus Pin but I don't think any airshow folks I know of have found that worthwhile. Some go up there for free during Friday practices, but of course only the actual acts practice. Never been to the Great Lawn.

The main box was always to the west of the Clark bridge. The flyovers just follow the river, which means they turn belly up to Louisville just before they cross that bridge. They are also pretty high and backlit. Aerobatic performers will drop down below the level of the bridge at least.

I came to embrace what I was told the first time I went; it's a firework show with some airplanes, not an airshow with fireworks. You absolutely must stay until the end :)
Attachments
20180421_143906.jpg
20180421_143906.jpg (331.05 KiB) Viewed 3169 times
20180421_145059.jpg
20180421_145059.jpg (295.59 KiB) Viewed 3168 times
20180421_201536_2.jpg
20180421_201536_2.jpg (170.56 KiB) Viewed 3167 times
Last edited by RyanS on Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

MattEv14

Post by MattEv14 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:35 pm

Thanks for the info Ryan! Much appreciated.
0 x

Nate_Burrows

Post by Nate_Burrows » Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:34 pm

2022 Thunder Over Louisville Air Show Performers:
123rd Special Tactics Squadron Parachute Team (Louisville ANG Base, KY)
A-1 Skyraider (Warbird Heritage Foundation, Waukegan, IL)
A-10C Thunderbolt II “Warthog” (107th FS, Selfridge ANG, MI)
AC-130J Gunship (1st Special Operations Wing, Hurlburt Field, FL)
Acemaker Airshows (T-33 Demo)
B-2 Spirit (13th Bomb Squadron, Whiteman, MO)
B-24 Liberator (“Diamond Lil,” Commemorative Air Force, Ft. Worth, TX)
B-25 Mitchell (“Show Me,” Commemorative Air Force, Missouri Wing)
B-29 Superfortress (“FiFi,” Commemorative Air Force, Ft. Worth TX)
B-52 Stratofortress (93rd Bomb Squadron, Barksdale AFB, LA)
World War Two Victory Formation (B-25, B-24, B-29 and P-51D)
Boeing 767, UPS Airlines (Louisville IAP, KY)
C-130J Super Hercules (Kentucky Air National Guard, Louisville ANG Base KY)
C-17 Globemaster III (437th Airlift Wing, Charleston AFB, SC)
Carbon Cub Float Plane (Bowman Field, Louisville, KY)
CH-53 Sea Stallion (Helicopter Mine Countermeasures Squadron 14, Norfolk, NAS)
Coleman Aerobatics (Taylorcraft, Bowman Field, Louisville, KY)
CV-22 Osprey (Marine Tilt Rotor Squadron 204, New River, NC)
F-15E Strike Eagle (4th Fighter Squadron, Seymour-Johnson AFB, NC)
F-16 Viper (112th Fighter Squadron, Toledo OH)
F-16 Viper (176th Fighter Squadron, Madison, WI)
F-86 Sabre Demo (Warbird Heritage Foundation, Waukegan, IL)
F-100 Super Sabre Demo (Ft. Wayne, IN)
Growler Demonstration Team, E/F-18G Growler (Electronic Attack Squadron 129, Whidbey Island NAS)
US Navy Legacy Flight (E/A-18G/F4U Corsair)
KC-46 Pegasus (305th Air Mobility Wing, McGuire AFB, NJ)
KC-135 Stratotanker (72nd Aerial Refueling Squadron, Grissom Air Reserve Base, IN)
P-51D Aerobatics (“Swamp Fox,” Concorde, NC)
Raptor Demonstration Team, F-22 Raptor (1st Fighter Wing, Langley AFB, VA)
USAF Heritage Flight (F-22/P-51D Formation)
T-38 Talon (9th Reconnaissance Squadron, Beale AFB, CA)
UH-60 Blackhawk (8th Battalion, 229th Aviation Regiment, Ft. Knox KY)
Younkin Airshows (Twin Beech Aerobatics Demo)

https://thunderoverlouisville.org/airshow/
2 x
Nate Burrows
@HawkeyeAvGeek on Instagram & TikTok

dzirzow

Post by dzirzow » Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:03 pm

I am loving all the military (if it shows) and warbirds. Looks like one (Younkin) civilian act essentially? Not sure who, besides Younkin, will perform at night. A long delay between flying end and 9:30 pyro start?
0 x

tosterbeck

Post by tosterbeck » Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:05 am

dzirzow wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:03 pm I am loving all the military (if it shows) and warbirds. Looks like one (Younkin) civilian act essentially? Not sure who, besides Younkin, will perform at night. A long delay between flying end and 9:30 pyro start?
Historically there hasn't been much down time between the end of flying and pyro. Matt Younkin usually flies around 9:00pm, with flag tow following at about 9:15pm. The addition of a drone show prior to the pyro this year may shift things a little earlier this year.

Usually the twilight hours are filled with the Acemaker T-33 Demo around 7:00pm, any helicopters after that, followed by the T-38. The Carbon Cub usually flies about 7:45pm, which coincides with the time that they place the pyro barges on the river. If anything, there might be some down time in the 8:00pm hour... but they typically do a good job of getting a new act in the box every 10-12 minutes throughout the entire day. The detailed schedule usually gets release a day or two before the show, and almost always gets changed on the fly during the course of the day... but should serve as a good reference point going into the day.
0 x

Grunt087

Post by Grunt087 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:37 am

The Line up looks fantastic. B-2's,AC-130 and B-52's plus 10 or 15 other military planes. Many of the planes will just do Flybys but the variety is great. It usually is crowded but if you get there in the morning you should be able to get a front row view. If you get there later most of the planes fly high enough to get a good view. You can bring your own chair and food or buy it there. At the end the fireworks are pretty good too. Sunday some but not all of the planes will be parked on the Air National Guard ramp at Louisville Airport it is $10 for shuttle bus plus $10 parking at the Louisville Fairgrounds. Check on their website. I usually bitch about airshows that only have the Thunderbirds and a few other acrobatic planes but Thunder over Louisville is doing it right if all the planes show up. What is even better it is FREE ! :D
Last edited by Grunt087 on Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

dzirzow

Post by dzirzow » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:47 pm

Aviation is love number one for me, but I also am licensed and shoot professional fireworks. So I appreciate the whole event!

I am planning driving down Friday morning from CLE. I remember a few years ago they practiced on Friday over the river. Not sure if this will be necessary this year or what time they will do that on Friday. Maybe better to spot over at the airport for arrivals on Friday? We all know not everything will stage locally, but anyone have a guess on Friday's schedule?

Looks like NOTAM says practice Friday noon - 3.

Sat. NOTAM starts at 3 (UTC to EDT).

https://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_2_8588.html
Last edited by dzirzow on Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Grunt087

Post by Grunt087 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:12 pm

Does anyone have any inside info on what planes will be on the ramp for the Static display at Louisville Airport Sunday ? The line up for the flying part of the show looks great if they show up . Thanks .
Last edited by Grunt087 on Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:22 pm

Interested to hear what people think of this. I was tempted to make a weekend of it and go to the static display on Sunday as well, but what I've heard on the flying gives me pause. Would love to hear more about the new box, how many passes the aircraft make, how low they are and whether you're getting topside passes, etc. for future reference. I generally avoid non-airport shows but the Sunday static display makes future trips more tempting if the flying is good.
Last edited by kalamazookid on Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Matt

dzirzow

Post by dzirzow » Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:34 pm

Like to see review also. Had yesterday afternoon off of work to drive down for the show from CLE. Instead, Wednesday night, someone decided to crash me from behind on the highway. So no show for me. Guess will try to stream live tomorrow. Usually one of the local TV stations streams live.
0 x

Return to “2022 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”