Wings Over Wayne 2023

Discussion relating to 2023 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
OwenORourke

Post by OwenORourke » Sun May 21, 2023 4:44 am

The only other F-22 demo with flares that I know of was a couple of weeks ago at Fort Lauderdale. When the F-22 personnel were working the line with handshakes and such after their demo I thanked them for taking it up to 11 by adding the flares and one of the guys mentioned they had to get special approvals for it and they don’t approve every show for it. My guess, (since they just started doing it) is that they want to show a particular adversary some additional capabilities that we may have that we may not have been highlighting in the past.
0 x

Bretten Bailey

Post by Bretten Bailey » Sun May 21, 2023 10:59 am

ACC Demos have been permitted to use flares the past few seasons, with each team being approved at different times (started with A-10 in 2020 and worked up to the F-22).

The caveat is, they’re only permitted to utilize flares at military and civilian over water shows OR at military bases where the flare storage, handling and dispensing/plan area was approved at the required level of military leadership. Dispensing the flares also cannot risk the closure of the airspace during or after the show for FOD or dud flare removal.

So that’s why it started with overwater shows and then worked into the military base shows. It is a nice little addition to some already terrific demos!
0 x
Bretten Bailey - Aerial Actions Airshows & Ballooning

awal2049

Post by awal2049 » Sun May 21, 2023 2:29 pm

Bretten Bailey wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:59 am The caveat is, they’re only permitted to utilize flares at military and civilian over water shows OR at military bases where the flare storage, handling and dispensing/plan area was approved at the required level of military leadership. Dispensing the flares also cannot risk the closure of the airspace during or after the show for FOD or dud flare removal.
One side note about the flares is both flare passes were done far to the right of the crowd (normally the Power Loop is done right in front). I guess that area wouldn't have impacted the show if there was cleanup.
0 x

IDF783

Post by IDF783 » Sun May 21, 2023 5:51 pm

Good info guys. Obviously flares for over water shows makes sense along with some military bases. Unless a miracle happens, Oshkosh will probably never get approval to have flares dispensed by demo teams.
0 x

avgeek22201

Post by avgeek22201 » Mon May 22, 2023 12:15 pm

Flares were a surprise
Attachments
DSC_3339.jpg
DSC_3339.jpg (196.25 KiB) Viewed 1359 times
DSC_3709.jpg
DSC_3709.jpg (111.67 KiB) Viewed 1359 times
DSC_4443.jpg
DSC_4443.jpg (156.31 KiB) Viewed 1359 times
DSC_9142.jpg
DSC_9142.jpg (192.43 KiB) Viewed 1359 times
5 x

OneTrap71

Post by OneTrap71 » Tue May 23, 2023 12:16 pm

F-22 on Friday afternoon.
Attachments
F-22 Rain - SJ 2023.jpg
F-22 Rain - SJ 2023.jpg (311.37 KiB) Viewed 1274 times
0 x

awal2049

Post by awal2049 » Wed May 24, 2023 3:09 am

Here is an article explaining the green F-15's paint scheme.

https://gagadget.com/en/weapons/249045- ... germa-amp/
0 x

DannyFez

Post by DannyFez » Thu May 25, 2023 9:39 am

First off getting in to this show via the Oak Forest Gate was a total nightmare, took over an hour to get into the base and get parked after the gates supposedly opened and I wasn't even that far back in the queue of cars, once I was parked however in the yellow area getting in was really straightforward, no queue at security and was waved through after a quick look at my clear bag. Got to the paid seating area and bagged a spot at the top level, if anyone saw a Union Flag flying from on top of the bleacher seating area that was me. Great statics, highlight of the statics for me was the special camouflage F-15E, lovely looking jet. Flying was great, first time seeing Tora Tora Tora, didn't take many photos or videos of them, just stood there watching and listening for the most part, very thought provoking. Really liked the F-15E/F-16CM joint demo & the F-22A (always) plus first time seeing an A-1 in the heritage flight. Great show despite the getting in issue at the start, would certainly go back again if I could.
0 x
🇬🇧

awal2049

Post by awal2049 » Thu May 25, 2023 11:34 am

DannyFez wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:39 am First off getting in to this show via the Oak Forest Gate was a total nightmare, took over an hour to get into the base and get parked after the gates supposedly opened and I wasn't even that far back in the queue of cars, once I was parked however in the yellow area getting in was really straightforward, no queue at security and was waved through after a quick look at my clear bag. Got to the paid seating area and bagged a spot at the top level, if anyone saw a Union Flag flying from on top of the bleacher seating area that was me. Great statics, highlight of the statics for me was the special camouflage F-15E, lovely looking jet. Flying was great, first time seeing Tora Tora Tora, didn't take many photos or videos of them, just stood there watching and listening for the most part, very thought provoking. Really liked the F-15E/F-16CM joint demo & the F-22A (always) plus first time seeing an A-1 in the heritage flight. Great show despite the getting in issue at the start, would certainly go back again if I could.
I saw that Union Jack and was like “that’s not right” but I didn’t make the connection lol. I wasn’t too far from you then. Sorry about Oak Forest, idk what to tell you. It worked well last time. SJ’s traffic management was always been poor imo.
0 x

redjay

Post by redjay » Thu May 25, 2023 9:20 pm

DannyFez wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:39 am First off getting in to this show via the Oak Forest Gate was a total nightmare, took over an hour to get into the base and get parked after the gates supposedly opened and I wasn't even that far back in the queue of cars, once I was parked however in the yellow area getting in was really straightforward, no queue at security and was waved through after a quick look at my clear bag. Got to the paid seating area and bagged a spot at the top level, if anyone saw a Union Flag flying from on top of the bleacher seating area that was me. Great statics, highlight of the statics for me was the special camouflage F-15E, lovely looking jet. Flying was great, first time seeing Tora Tora Tora, didn't take many photos or videos of them, just stood there watching and listening for the most part, very thought provoking. Really liked the F-15E/F-16CM joint demo & the F-22A (always) plus first time seeing an A-1 in the heritage flight. Great show despite the getting in issue at the start, would certainly go back again if I could.

I stood just behind the bleachers when I was photographing the aerial displays

I was in the Oak Forest queue early also, not close enough to the front to see the issue, but my suspicion was a lack of SHP as once they arrived traffic started moving a lot better.
1 x

Return to “2023 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”