NBVC Point Mugu Airshow 2023

Discussion relating to 2023 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:16 am

The public is invited to attend the community outreach Meet & Greet event taking place on Friday, March 17 in beautiful Downtown Ventura.
Visitors will be introduced to each of the pilots from both teams and have the opportunity to get pilot autographs.

This event is free to attend and will take place on the public stage located at the intersection of California St. and Main St.
The event starts at 6 pm and will conclude at 8 pm.

After the event guests are encouraged to explore Downtown Ventura business and restaurants. Please arrive early as parking is limited.
https://www.pointmuguairshow.com/perfor ... meet-greet
Last edited by n33d4sp33d_85 on Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:25 pm

Additional Performer
- US Navy MH-60 Knighthawk 3-Ship Flyby

https://www.facebook.com/events/5899348 ... %2CO%2CP-R
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:05 pm

Here's the current weather forecast as of right now.

Saturday:
Partly Cloudy

Sunday:
Mostly Cloudy
https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Po ... A0885:1:US
Last edited by n33d4sp33d_85 on Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

LAXSPOTTER97

Post by LAXSPOTTER97 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:16 am

The new VX9 Black Bunny paint scheme will be on static display. This is the first public display of this aircraft.
0 x

ALT

Post by ALT » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:16 am

Myself along with thousands of other could not enter into the airbase due to the pathetic and crappy planning of the show's organizer. Traffic was at a standstill for hours and eventually the airbase was completely full. There were NO ONE to direct traffic, absolutely NO ONE. If you didn't arrive at the vicinity of the airbase by 10am, you were too late.
0 x

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:14 am

ALT wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:16 am Myself along with thousands of other could not enter into the airbase due to the pathetic and crappy planning of the show's organizer. Traffic was at a standstill for hours and eventually the airbase was completely full. There were NO ONE to direct traffic, absolutely NO ONE. If you didn't arrive at the vicinity of the airbase by 10am, you were too late.
The planning/logistics was completely ass, to be honest, I should've done more research on the size of their staff committee and it's irrelevantly low, very low, they had only one PAO who coordinated and ran the entire event, what's far worse is the security, like oh Jesus not even capping the entrance team never bothered patting me down, someone could literally using that "logical" logistics, can just run into the show site carrying a hand gun or a knife, oh hell bro you could bring a bomb to the base, NBVC committee needs to do alot of improvements, yes alot of improvements on their planning and logistics. We demanded that event far to early, the committee needs more time, I'm fine with waiting another 5-6 years if it durates that long before hosting another show, not going to cap, it's kinda sad just to walk in freely on to a federal/military property not knowing that I could be a threat to national security and the public itself. I know parking was hell itself, that's another area they should focus and improve on, but security should be far more of a priority, rather having to concerned about FAA's newly published rule which refers to the extension of the flightline farther away from the runway, but that should be the least of everyone's concern, that comes last. Security, Parking, and other logistics need to be improved at the moment. Other than bro the show like the performers and statics were solid.
Last edited by Nick on Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:21 am

Not implying anything that's over the top, but just casually stating it's kind of a concern over the logistics, it was poorly planned in terms of logistics again.
Last edited by Nick on Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:27 pm

Nick wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:14 am
ALT wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:16 am Myself along with thousands of other could not enter into the airbase due to the pathetic and crappy planning of the show's organizer. Traffic was at a standstill for hours and eventually the airbase was completely full. There were NO ONE to direct traffic, absolutely NO ONE. If you didn't arrive at the vicinity of the airbase by 10am, you were too late.
The planning/logistics was completely ass, to be honest, I should've done more research on the size of their staff committee and it's irrelevantly low, very low, they had only one PAO who coordinated and ran the entire event, what's far worse is the security, like oh Jesus not even capping the entrance team never bothered patting me down, someone could literally using that "logical" logistics, can just run into the show site carrying a hand gun or a knife, oh hell bro you could bring a bomb to the base, NBVC committee needs to do alot of improvements, yes alot of improvements on their planning and logistics. We demanded that event far to early, the committee needs more time, I'm fine with waiting another 5-6 years if it durates that long before hosting another show, not going to cap, it's kinda sad just to walk in freely on to a federal/military property not knowing that I could be a threat to national security and the public itself. I know parking was hell itself, that's another area they should focus and improve on, but security should be far more of a priority, rather having to concerned about FAA's newly published rule which refers to the extension of the flightline farther away from the runway, but that should be the least of everyone's concern, that comes last. Security, Parking, and other logistics need to be improved at the moment. Other than bro the show like the performers and statics were solid.
I'm having an extremely difficult time understanding what you wrote and I have some constructive criticism for you.

"Only one PAO who coordinated and ran the entire event" makes no sense. Now, I've been to my share of airshows at airports, military bases, beaches, and whatnot, and while I know a little bit on how things are done, I would think there's an entire team that's putting together an airshow. PAO, to me, means "public affairs office" and they're only in charge of one aspect of base operations, let alone an airshow.

For a location who hasn't hosted an airshow in five or six years, there's definitely going to be issues with some of the finer details. A traffic and parking plan that existed in 2018 (and worked) and a way to get everyone on/off the property might not work in 2023 because stuff exists today that didn't in 2018, such as additional residential, commercial, industrial property, ongoing road construction projects, and other small details. I can see this happening two months from now with an airshow I plan on attending about an hour and a half from me. If they're not going to have an airshow in another several years I guarantee you the same issues will come up and it'll be because of the infrastructure on/around the base.

"We demanded that event far to early" again makes no sense. I've been to airshows since I was a kid and have seen it all and heard it all, especially the last several years living and working relatively close to a military base. I don't believe the public "demands" a base to hold an airshow. In fact I think an airshow is the last thing on the minds of most military personnel. Yes, they love opening the gates once a year or every couple years to people like myself and everyone around me but I have heard that for many, airshow weekends are super stressful on military personnel.

You talk about lax security and bringing weapons on base. I think. I cannot vouch for the base since I wasn't there but I did see a couple photos from people trying to get on base Saturday morning. Could security have been executing the orders that were handed down by their superiors? Again, I'm having a very difficult time understanding what you wrote.

Your comment "security should be far more of a priority, rather having to concerned about FAA's newly published rule which refers to the extension of the flightline farther away from the runway, but that should be the least of everyone's concern, that comes last" is very concerning. I agree security should be among the top things but you have to look at it as a whole and not focus on the point of entry and egress. However, your comment regarding the FAA is very concerning because now you're talking about everyone's safety. I don't know your experience with airshows and aviation but what you imply is either that a rule imposed by the Feds should be thrown out the window or the safety of the pilots and spectators should not be a top priority. I'm under the impression that the Feds take airshow safety very seriously. I've seen my fair share of airshow accidents over my decades of going to airshows and if it weren't for rules they enforce, I'm sure airshows would not exist. Oh, and show me this "rule" that you think should be the least of everyone's concern...

I'm sorry to hear there were issues trying to get on base. I've seen it happen far too many times and I've been there, done that. I'm glad to hear the flying display and static display was top-notch. However, to take a proverbial dump on the show and the base on a public forum, where someone from the base might actually be reading this, is downright disrespectful.
1 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:26 pm

Nick wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:14 am
'Security didn't search me hard enough' is the dumbest complaint I have ever heard
Last edited by RyanS on Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

ACFT_MX

Post by ACFT_MX » Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:55 pm

The 2023 Point Mugu airshow was great despite the issues. People need to keep in mind that this was the first airshow on the base in 8 years. We were in the traffic line about 0830 and it took us a hour and a half to get from where the backup started on PCH, into the base and parked. It then took us another hour and a half to almost 2 hours standing in line to get into the airshow. Only to find out as we got near the front there was a seperate entrance for VIP's and those who purchased premier seating. Could there have been more signage informing people of this? Sure. Could traffic control have been handled better, sure. But talking to an active duty member at the airshow, I was informed that they were estimating over 300,000 people where there on Saturday alone. Again, when you don't have a local airshow (I grew up in and live in Ventura County) in 8 years, you are going to have a lot of people show up for it. But once inside, the airshow itself was great. The static displays and concessions were all well spaced out. There was plenty to see and do. As someone whose Dad retired out of Point Mugu after a 22 year Navy career, being there felt like old times. It was good to be back "home"
2 x

Return to “2023 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”