Thunder Over Michigan 2023

Discussion relating to 2023 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
JBavaition

Post by JBavaition » Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:25 am

Robert Dickson's P-51D Mustang "Swamp Fox" has been added.
0 x

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:29 pm

Per email this morning:
We've also improved the ticketing options and show layout based on your feedback. Like the past event, there will be four shows (morning and afternoon) with an all-day option available to Officer's Club purchasers.

New in 2023, there will be two drive-up zones. The White Zone joins the ticket lineup with a much more affordable, $99 price tag; one ticket still admits unlimited passengers* and includes the cost of parking. A second option, the Blue Zone, includes access to the hot ramp, the best viewing angles, and greatest sound experience. The Blue Zone starts at $129 and increases to $229 with demand. The sooner you buy, the better deal you'll receive.
Parking info: https://yankeeairmuseum.org/airshow/parking/

White Zone won't have access to the hot ramp and the only way to get an all day pass is to buy Officer's Club.

We won't be back. Good luck, Thunder.
2 x
Matt

JBavaition

Post by JBavaition » Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:21 pm

kalamazookid wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:29 pm Per email this morning:
We've also improved the ticketing options and show layout based on your feedback. Like the past event, there will be four shows (morning and afternoon) with an all-day option available to Officer's Club purchasers.

New in 2023, there will be two drive-up zones. The White Zone joins the ticket lineup with a much more affordable, $99 price tag; one ticket still admits unlimited passengers* and includes the cost of parking. A second option, the Blue Zone, includes access to the hot ramp, the best viewing angles, and greatest sound experience. The Blue Zone starts at $129 and increases to $229 with demand. The sooner you buy, the better deal you'll receive.
Parking info: https://yankeeairmuseum.org/airshow/parking/

White Zone won't have access to the hot ramp and the only way to get an all day pass is to buy Officer's Club.

We won't be back. Good luck, Thunder.
$130 for the blue zone isn't too bad of a price considering it was almost $300 last year. I'm hoping for a member discount. That would make the show a viable option for me again.
0 x

GRNDP51

Post by GRNDP51 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:36 pm

This is my biggest issue so far...

https://yankeeairmuseum.org/airshow/schedule/

Show up at 7:00 for good parking, wait 3 hours for a 2 hour show, and then a 4 hour gap until another 2 hour show? Ummmm
3 x

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:15 pm

I know I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but I'll say it one last time: it isn't the cost, it's the utter stupidity of the split format.

Literally every airshow in North America lets you see the entire airshow for the price of one ticket. Every single one. Maybe you can make an argument that Oshkosh doesn't because it's spread out over a week, but an entire week's ticket and parking there still costs less than one full day at Thunder Over Michigan. You don't pay in the morning, then have to leave and pay to come back in the afternoon to see the rest of the airshow anywhere else - not at Oshkosh, or Reading, or Houston, or Geneseo, or London, or Duxford, or a military show or your local show in a cornfield. There is no amount of "Choose Your Headliner" or fancy marketing BS that will change that.

Last year, the morning and afternoon shows were totally different. If one had wanted to see the Mosquito, Hurricanes and F-100 and had only an afternoon ticket, they would have been screwed (assuming everything had shown up). If a morning attendee had wanted to see Mike Goulian, the Lysander, the Vampire and the Axis aircraft, they would have been screwed (again, assuming everything had shown up). If one had paid for a one day ticket at any other airshow, all of the acts would have been included. I'm not going to guess which half day is going to have the acts I want to see, and I'm not going to pay twice to see what is included in the price of one ticket at every other airshow I could possibly dream of attending. It's obnoxious. It's a rip-off. It's insultingly stupid. It's unbelievable to me that people are not only asking for this but actually think it's a good deal.

The White Zone is ... uh, really bad. $99 to either sit about a mile from the runway or stand in the static display area, while not having any access at all to the hot ramp? You have to pay extra to be able to look at all of the aircraft at the airshow? WTF? Why are they making things that were always included in the price of one ticket "exclusive?" This is laughably and insultingly stupid.

$129 for an entire day of Blue Zone would be completely reasonable. That's about what two people would pay for walk-up tickets and parking under the old format. Sign me up for that any day of the week if it comes with a full airshow, the hot ramp and all the static displays.
Last edited by kalamazookid on Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
5 x
Matt

JBavaition

Post by JBavaition » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:36 pm

Just found a hint on the website...
Aircraft list is also up.
Attachments
Screenshot_20221119-093259_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221119-093259_Chrome.jpg (162.51 KiB) Viewed 2574 times
Last edited by JBavaition on Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:29 pm

From the looks of the hint, it looks like TOM may have the F-22 Raptor Demo Team. We shall see in December.
0 x

JBavaition

Post by JBavaition » Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:42 pm

Is the C-17 listed on the website the east coast Demo?
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
315th Airlift Wing – Joint Base Charleston
I can recall the C-17 Demo at Selfridge being from Charleston.
0 x

Rhino93

Post by Rhino93 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:49 pm

"Schedule" for the shows posted on Facebook.. 2 hours for each show. It's really sad to see TOM go this route again with the show, was hoping to go next year but I won't be bothering with this set up.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-11-20 163935.jpg
Screenshot 2022-11-20 163935.jpg (71.42 KiB) Viewed 2436 times
2 x
Ryan
Quebec, Canada

Laskow2

Post by Laskow2 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:01 am

i have to be missing something here ........so the white lot is a mile from the runway and 4000 to 4500 feet from the showline?
0 x

Return to “2023 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”