2024 SUN 'n FUN Aerospace Expo

Discussion relating to 2024 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
CultOfTheWyvern

Post by CultOfTheWyvern » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:33 pm

Just got back to Pittsburgh after an eventful and thoroughly enjoyable four days at SUN 'n FUN...really three and a half, as I got there about three-fourths of the way through the daytime show on Wednesday...and, since Thursday's show was cancelled and I left around noon and came back around 5:30, more like a cumulative three days, but you get the gist. I'm yet to embark on the daunting task of going through roughly 1800 images, and my feet are covered in blisters from walking the loop from the ticket booth to the vintage parking area to the exhibition area to The Island to Paradise City at least six times with points in between and the occasional detour, but here are some initial thoughts.

The Good:
- The night shows alone were worth every cent I spent on the trip. Not just the finale, but...yeah, especially that finale. Absolutely marvelous work by all involved.
- The Sunset Aerial Circus was a blast, even if the gusty winds meant that Airythmia and the Junkers couldn't fly on Thursday and Friday. I could've watched the STOL competition all day; might be my new obsession. The Hexa was neat to see up close, even if it does look like someone took one of those hand-washing stations next to the port-a-johns and strapped a ring of rotors to the top.
- In the 21 years since I decided not to get my PPL and pursue both a career and hobby in aviation that involved keeping my feet firmly on Terra Firma, I've never once regretted that decision in the slightest. Until I saw that utterly gorgeous Super Petrel light sport. My goodness, that airplane is beautiful. Ditto for the Pipistrel Velis Electro; hadn't seen one in the flesh (plastic?) before this week.
- I don't care what anyone says, the robot dog was adorable.
- While I'd hoped more vintage aircraft owners would turn up for the big 50th birthday bash, the ones who did turned up in style! Between the Reliant, Fairchild 24, Howard DGA-15P, and WACO cabin biplane that graced the vintage camp, suffice it to say my appetite was sated. And that PT-20 whose rivets at least five people showed up to count with utter precision every time I stopped by to photograph it...
- Regarding the Ghost Squadron, I know everyone's raving about the MiG-29 - and it is awesome, no doubt - but can we give a little love to those sweet little Alpha Jets too?
- The Super Constellation. 'Nuff said.
- I did catch the infamous F-104 flyover. Granted I was in the exhibition area when it happened, so maybe the folks at the front had a different experience, but at the altitude it was flying, it really was a "Star" fighter in more than just name. Still a nice surprise.

The Bad:
- I still can't believe they expect Weekly ticket holders to wear their wristbands the whole week, including when off-site. I have a hard enough time sleeping without laminated paper chafing my hand. And when I couldn't jury-rig the adhesive to stay put any longer and asked for a replacement band, the ticket booth people treated me like I left a baby in a hot car or something. Word to the wise: if you're getting the Weekly pass, and don't fancy wearing a wrist band when you're sleeping, showering, out on a hot date, etc., bring some Scotch tape.
- The "Preferred Airshow Seating" was a waste of money. The view from the general admission area is no worse, and possibly even better; sure, the Tora planes were parked in front, but I found some success shooting between them, and they make a much more pleasing foreground than a 25-foot antenna, the Thunderbirds' sound cart, and a dirty great fence. And you don't get yelled at for standing up. The only real plus was the free bottled water. I'd assume the photo seating isn't much better; I had tickets for Thursday but opted not to redeem them on Friday even though they were supposedly honoring them, which I'm thinking was the correct decision.
- I'm wise enough to the "warbird" scene around these fly-ins to expect most of the "warbirds" to be L-39s and Nanchangs in spurious paint schemes (which, while technically warbirds, count about as much as that RV-8 painted up like a Corsair in my opinion). But the warbird ramp was dominated by them. This isn't a knock on the event - it's obviously up to the pilots whether to bring their aircraft - but more on the alarming disregard for authenticity around the "warbird" scene. Kudos to the pilots who brought the Pilatus P-3s, Bulldogs, Epsilons, and that stunning T-33 to even things up a bit.

The Somewhat Disappointing:
- I know the Dayton thread is full of bellyaching about failing to meet (possibly misplaced) expectations for a 50th anniversary event, but I think the same could be said about the air show component of SUN 'n FUN. Don't get me wrong, the day shows were very good. Just not quite special, and seemed to be missing something. Perhaps a little more variety in the acts, more of a focus on general aviation - what the event is all about - rather than three-quarters of the show being military aircraft, either historic or contemporary. I'm sure that'll be an unpopular opinion, but that's kinda the currency I trade in, so there.
- On the subject of historic military aircraft, I was looking forward to finally photographing the Dauntless away from the infernally backlit milieu of Reading. Two distant flat passes with nary a hint of topside was...underwhelming, to say the least.

The Really-Bad-On-The-Part-of-Yours-Truly:
- In retrospect, booking an early-morning flight to Pittsburgh the Sunday after attending a nighttime air show, thus not leaving the show grounds until well after 10 PM, leaving less than five hours between getting back to the hotel and having to leave for the airport for a flight due to arrive two and a half hours before my work shift starts may not have been the wisest decision I've ever made...
Last edited by CultOfTheWyvern on Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

Ken91

Post by Ken91 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:01 am

So many pictures to go through. Started with Saturday's night show, so here are a few more of the Ghost Squadron.
Attachments
P1410740.JPG
P1410740.JPG (61.87 KiB) Viewed 457 times
P1410763_adju.jpg
P1410763_adju.jpg (80.2 KiB) Viewed 457 times
P1410780.JPG
P1410780.JPG (86.02 KiB) Viewed 457 times
P1410799_adj.jpg
P1410799_adj.jpg (82.52 KiB) Viewed 457 times
P1410845.JPG
P1410845.JPG (50.54 KiB) Viewed 457 times
7 x

Ken91

Post by Ken91 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:49 pm

A few more night show pictures.
Attachments
P1410898.jpg
P1410898.jpg (58.06 KiB) Viewed 379 times
P1410982.jpg
P1410982.jpg (72.56 KiB) Viewed 379 times
P1420106.jpg
P1420106.jpg (74.81 KiB) Viewed 379 times
P1420220.jpg
P1420220.jpg (62.51 KiB) Viewed 379 times
P1420353.jpg
P1420353.jpg (105.26 KiB) Viewed 379 times
6 x

OwenORourke

Post by OwenORourke » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:09 pm

Thanks CultOfTheWyvern for the honest review of this years Sun 'n Fun. I appreciate the candid take on the this year's event.
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:17 pm

Excellent pictures you took of the Ghost Squadron Ken91. Can't wait to see this display when they come to Oceana this September.
0 x

Ken91

Post by Ken91 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:59 pm

n33d4sp33d_85 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:17 pm Excellent pictures you took of the Ghost Squadron Ken91. Can't wait to see this display when they come to Oceana this September.
Thanks! It was very cool, especially with the 3 different types of planes. I would have liked more of a mini-demo from the MiG-29, but it still a great performance. I definitely want to see the Ghost Squadron again.

@CultOfTheWyvern - regarding preferred seating. We used to sit there because of the "free" water and close restrooms when it was $20 a person. Now, I think it's $35 and it's not as worth it to us, especially with the fencing and other obstacles that can occasionally get in the way. Now, we sit off to the right past the warbirds and close to where the jet performers park. We also have brought in our own water and food to cut down on those expenses.
1 x

CultOfTheWyvern

Post by CultOfTheWyvern » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:34 pm

Ken91 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:59 pm @CultOfTheWyvern - regarding preferred seating. We used to sit there because of the "free" water and close restrooms when it was $20 a person. Now, I think it's $35 and it's not as worth it to us, especially with the fencing and other obstacles that can occasionally get in the way. Now, we sit off to the right past the warbirds and close to where the jet performers park. We also have brought in our own water and food to cut down on those expenses.
Is that the section that has the big sign advertising "Prime Airshow Viewing" or something? I'll keep that in mind if I go again 8-)
0 x

Ken91

Post by Ken91 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:15 pm

CultOfTheWyvern wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:34 pm
Ken91 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:59 pm @CultOfTheWyvern - regarding preferred seating. We used to sit there because of the "free" water and close restrooms when it was $20 a person. Now, I think it's $35 and it's not as worth it to us, especially with the fencing and other obstacles that can occasionally get in the way. Now, we sit off to the right past the warbirds and close to where the jet performers park. We also have brought in our own water and food to cut down on those expenses.
Is that the section that has the big sign advertising "Prime Airshow Viewing" or something? I'll keep that in mind if I go again 8-)
Yes, I think so. I circled the area in red on the map image below. Also, there were 3 food vendors in that area (burgers, cuban sandwiches & chicken tenders, and a wood fired pizza). However, there were only 2 porta pottys there.
Attachments
snf_map.png
snf_map.png (1.27 MiB) Viewed 293 times
Last edited by Ken91 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:11 pm

Between the photos here and the stuff I've seen online (great work, by the way!), I have one question for you all.

What's with all the black fencing around some of the show areas? It doesn't appear to be temporary and it's in a lot of people's photos and videos.
0 x

Airplanefreak2000

Post by Airplanefreak2000 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:36 pm

passedgas46 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:11 pm Between the photos here and the stuff I've seen online (great work, by the way!), I have one question for you all.

What's with all the black fencing around some of the show areas? It doesn't appear to be temporary and it's in a lot of people's photos and videos.
It’s a currently permanent fixture on the left side show area. It used to house aircraft but it’s used now for the parachute teams to land in and we put some pyro In there. It should be taken down honestly as it doesn’t really serve much a purpose anymore for SNF at least. The airport might use it the rest of the year.
0 x

Return to “2024 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”