2024 Abbotsford International Airshow

Discussion relating to 2024 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Bingofuel

Post by Bingofuel » Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:44 am

If the RCAF 100th is the central theme they're sure doing a great job of hiding it.

Except for the heritage flight write-up there's no mention of the RCAF anniversary on the main page anymore. Looks like it's been removed.

Their social media this year has been very lacking. They posted 3 pics on instagram on April 1st with zero description of what it was referencing, even though it's apparently a "central" theme for this year's show.

Also they have a photo on their site of the RCAF heritage flight with the P-40 obviously photoshopped. Looks strange
Last edited by Bingofuel on Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:02 am

Bingofuel wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:44 am Also they have a photo on their site of the RCAF heritage flight with the P-40 obviously photoshopped. Looks strange
I noticed that as well. :lol: With AI image generation being the common trend lately I'm sure it was probably generated rather than photoshopped. I wonder if they've got someone new in charge of the marketing aspect of the show. Also, I'm sure it doesn't help that it looks quite likely this year we will have no international participation from the major demo teams going on tour in Canada for the 100th.
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:29 am

Here's a throwback from the internet archive. This is the Abbotsford Airshow website from 20 years ago in 2004.

Flying Displays: Image
Static Displays: Image
Last edited by AirshowHawk on Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Frenetic Enigma

Post by Frenetic Enigma » Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:52 am

I've been trying to stay quiet and hoping to see something that would give me, well, hope. It's not looking that way - I'd heard some "rumours" that we'd be getting some exciting international participation for RCAF 100 but I now fear that AIAS has once again dropped the ball. And badly.
I've been attending since 1980 and used to expect nothing but the best for Abby - sadly, they now seem obsessed with bringing in too many civilian acts which, let's face it, very few attendees watch and mostly use as a washroom break. The military side is sorely lacking. Love the CF-18 and still appreciate the Snowbirds but neither of those are a draw anymore. Been there, done that. The F-22 is probably good, but overall just another letdown (so far). No Red Arrows, no Frecce Tricolori, no nothing...so sad.
I'd like to hope that there are pleasant surprises in store, but so far AIAS has only encouraged me to plan for international travel this summer, and to not be even remotely excited about attending Abbotsford.
1 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:02 am

Frenetic Enigma wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:52 am I've been trying to stay quiet and hoping to see something that would give me, well, hope. It's not looking that way - I'd heard some "rumours" that we'd be getting some exciting international participation for RCAF 100 but I now fear that AIAS has once again dropped the ball. And badly.
I've been attending since 1980 and used to expect nothing but the best for Abby - sadly, they now seem obsessed with bringing in too many civilian acts which, let's face it, very few attendees watch and mostly use as a washroom break. The military side is sorely lacking. Love the CF-18 and still appreciate the Snowbirds but neither of those are a draw anymore. Been there, done that. The F-22 is probably good, but overall just another letdown (so far). No Red Arrows, no Frecce Tricolori, no nothing...so sad.
I'd like to hope that there are pleasant surprises in store, but so far AIAS has only encouraged me to plan for international travel this summer, and to not be even remotely excited about attending Abbotsford.
If you are blaming the AIAS for these issues then you are very misinformed. They do a great job with the restrictions and politics that deteriorate from a quality show in the past. Take for example the reason we do not see the infamous Wall of Fire. If the organizers wanted pyro every year they certainly would have it but because of wildfire trends that is no longer feasible. The Airshow instead works around these restrictions with the drone show.

And to say the airshow dropped the ball because of the lack of participation, take a look at the schedule of those international teams and where they will be during the weekend of Abby.
2 x

JA Boomer

Post by JA Boomer » Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:01 pm

Certainty some things are out of the control of the airshow staff, and I can't comment on their effort/performance, but I do think they open themselves up to criticism by how the social media and event itself is run.

Abby hasn't had the same level of military participation since US government sequestration in 2013. Then the traffic/parking woes plagued the show until last year.

I had high hopes that the new President was turning things around after last year, but I too am concerned about the lack of performers for Canada's National Airshow. I've been going since 2003, and it really is getting repetitive.

I look longingly at what London has been able to do recently. You can never have enough military iron on display.
Last edited by JA Boomer on Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Chris Smallenberg

Post by Chris Smallenberg » Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:47 pm

While I agree that this year's show will be disappointing based on the announced schedules of the European teams and the overall lack of US military participation, this is in no way the fault of the Abbotsford Airshow. They have no control over the schedules that are announced from these teams. The European team schedules just didn't work out with the timing of Abby's dates. Red Arrows are coming too late and it might have been a different story for the Frecce Tricolori if Abby's dates were in July. I really believe Abby thought they were getting the Reds but it sounds like, due to pressure from home, the tour was reduced in scope so it wold not impact their domestic airshow season as much.

As for the US teams, we have typical ACC support. The US Navy I don't believe is coming to Canada at all with any of their TAC demos or Blue Angels. I hope that isn't a new trend.

They definitely have some work to do but hopefully they can put together a program that does a good job of saluting the RCAF 100th. Get as many RCAF types in the air as possible and mix in the vintage types. Trainer component could have Harvard IIs and then go to the past with the T-33 and some Harvards. A Vampire and F-86 would be nice additions to a fighter segment along with the P-40 and CF-18. Maritime component could involve the CP-140 and Canso. C-17/CC-130 for a cargo component...are there any DC-3s nearby that could be added to the display? (too bad Historic Flight is no more) There are still ways to make this a great show, but it will involve more creative planning as things haven't just fallen into their lap as they have in past years. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out by I haven't given up hope yet.
0 x

Chris Smallenberg

Post by Chris Smallenberg » Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:53 pm

Frenetic Enigma wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:52 am sadly, they now seem obsessed with bringing in too many civilian acts which, let's face it, very few attendees watch and mostly use as a washroom break.
There are three civilian acts booked this year (so far), last year there were three and the year before four. That constitutes being "obsessed with bringing in too many civilian acts"?
2 x

Chris Smallenberg

Post by Chris Smallenberg » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:51 pm

AirshowHawk wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:29 am Here's a throwback from the internet archive. This is the Abbotsford Airshow website from 20 years ago in 2004.
Great find. Brings back fond memories of when I did the Airshow website (note the inclusion of bases the aircraft were from ;) )
4 x

Bingofuel

Post by Bingofuel » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:40 pm

Abbotsford International Airforce.

Seriously is no one at the airshow spell or grammar checking their emails??
1 x

Return to “2024 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”