2024 EAA Air Venture Oshkosh

Discussion relating to 2024 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
BruceK

Post by BruceK » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:12 am

skoutzyy13 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:05 pm First timer here this year, I go to many shows but have been curious before it sells out, if anyone thinks that the weekly tickets for the Aviators clubs are worth it? Or if general admission would be just as good.

If you want to be close to the burn line (ie show line) Gen. Adm. is the only way to go. Those club areas are no joke like 50-75 yards behind the burn line. Not only will most of the crowd be in front of you but so will all the parked planes and PA/light towers. This video gives you an idea what the ground look like. The runway and burn line are on the left of the first 30 seconds, the Aviators South Club would be on the right side of the road.
0 x

skoutzyy13

Post by skoutzyy13 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:03 am

BruceK wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:12 am
skoutzyy13 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:05 pm First timer here this year, I go to many shows but have been curious before it sells out, if anyone thinks that the weekly tickets for the Aviators clubs are worth it? Or if general admission would be just as good.

If you want to be close to the burn line (ie show line) Gen. Adm. is the only way to go. Those club areas are no joke like 50-75 yards behind the burn line. Not only will most of the crowd be in front of you but so will all the parked planes and PA/light towers. This video gives you an idea what the ground look like. The runway and burn line are on the left of the first 30 seconds, the Aviators South Club would be on the right side of the road.
Thank you so much. You just answered everything for me, sounding like I can save a little and not waste it just for some AC lol. Could spend that extra money on so many other things. Thank you for the response and the video! I am assuming that if you walk away from your spot to go somewhere like the bathroom or food you're kind of out of luck in the general section unless you can find a buddy to watch your things
Last edited by skoutzyy13 on Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:35 am

skoutzyy13 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:05 pm First timer here this year, I go to many shows but have been curious before it sells out, if anyone thinks that the weekly tickets for the Aviators clubs are worth it? Or if general admission would be just as good. I see that the North is sold out for the weekly, can still grab individual, but there's still the new south club, but seems to be as if it's on the other side of the street. Wondering if there's any obstructions in front of these clubs or if they're recessed back. Just don't want to spend the extra money if I could be closer to the action, would just settle for the normal general weekly ticket if so. I know most shows I go to have these VIP clubs and sometimes they seem fine but sometimes I seem to find that even with general admission, I seem to be able to get closer to the action anyways or sometimes those clubs aren't in the greatest spots.

Again, first time going so just not trying to spend unnecessary money if it's not the best to begin with. I guess it would guarantee by show center but I do like being close to the action without many if any obstructions. Please let me know if you have any advice or experience about this, just trying to make the right decision as I'll be coming from NJ for this one all week. Thank you!
First, a disclaimer. I've never been to Oshkosh. It's been on my bucket list for years and after seeing the lineup for Millville, NJ's airshow, I'm considering either bailing out of Sunday's show and going to Oshkosh or take Monday as a travel day.

I've asked a friend who has been there twice about going and he brought up three key things: Join EAA, spend the week/buy a weeklong pass, and camp. He too brought up that you don't need to spend any more on top of general admission since that already gets you so much.

The lineup and the prospect of seeing so much in what would be six days for me - I don't think I can convince my wife to come - is making me strongly consider the trip. Sounds like there's going to be a large contingent of people from NJ coming if I throw my hat in the proverbial Oshkosh ring; we are moving back in less than three months.
0 x

BruceK

Post by BruceK » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:38 am

skoutzyy13 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:03 am Thank you so much. You just answered everything for me, sounding like I can save a little and not waste it just for some AC lol. Could spend that extra money on so many other things. Thank you for the response and the video! I am assuming that if you walk away from your spot to go somewhere like the bathroom or food you're kind of out of luck in the general section unless you can find a buddy to watch your things
Leave your chair (folded) and people will for the most part not bother it. Make friends with your neighbors to keep an eye on each others spot helps. It's long days, so everyone comes and goes. If a plane taxis in or out volunteers will need to move any unattended chairs in the way. They do try to put them back as best they can but they may not be in the exact same spot.
0 x

RFDGuy

Post by RFDGuy » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:06 pm

BruceK wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:12 am
skoutzyy13 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:05 pm

If you want to be close to the burn line (ie show line) Gen. Adm. is the only way to go. Those club areas are no joke like 50-75 yards behind the burn line.

I believe the tent is that far back, but all of the tents I've been to usually have open air spots all the way up to the burn line. Is it worth the money? Maybe. It has shade/cover, drinks and snacks, but I'm sure with a nice price.
Last edited by RFDGuy on Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

OwenORourke

Post by OwenORourke » Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:39 am

With the return of the Snowbirds just announced, does that mean the burn line will be moved back for their show days to accommodate the aerobatic box the way they did with the Thunderbirds a few years ago?
0 x

Adambadger88

Post by Adambadger88 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:01 am

OwenORourke wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:39 am With the return of the Snowbirds just announced, does that mean the burn line will be moved back for their show days to accommodate the aerobatic box the way they did with the Thunderbirds a few years ago?
Yes, the Snowbirds crowd line will be on effect. That means nobody can cross that line and I mean nobody that includes planes parked in that area. Here's the 2016 aerobatic box diagram.

https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-a ... july-29-31
0 x

Ohareplanespotter21

Post by Ohareplanespotter21 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:15 am

Adambadger88 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:01 am
OwenORourke wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:39 am With the return of the Snowbirds just announced, does that mean the burn line will be moved back for their show days to accommodate the aerobatic box the way they did with the Thunderbirds a few years ago?
Yes, the Snowbirds crowd line will be on effect. That means nobody can cross that line and I mean nobody that includes planes parked in that area. Here's the 2016 aerobatic box diagram.

That would be if they were doing aerobatics and I don't think they are
0 x

NathanT39

Post by NathanT39 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:49 pm

Ohareplanespotter21 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:15 am
Adambadger88 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:01 am

That would be if they were doing aerobatics and I don't think they are
Why would they not do aerobatics, they will be pushing the show line back for sure.
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:41 pm

EAA AVIATION CENTER, OSHKOSH, Wisconsin — (January 31, 2024) — The Frecce Tricolori, the military aerobatic team representing the Italian Air Force (ITAF), will be making its first Oshkosh appearance since 1986 when it arrives to participate at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2024. The 71st edition of the Experimental Aircraft Association fly-in convention is July 22-28 at Wittman Regional Airport in Oshkosh.

Frecce Tricolori – which translates to “Tricolor Arrows” in English – will arrive at Oshkosh on Tuesday, July 23, and is scheduled to participate as part of the afternoon air show. Its aerial demonstrations at AirVenture will be a modified display featuring tight fly-by formations and colorful smoke trails in the team’s Aermacchi MB-339PAN trainer jets.
This sounds like a brief non-aerobatic display to me. Not least because the press release says they will arrive and display on the Tuesday. I've never known the Frecce Tricolori forgo a recce and practice the day prior to an actual aerobatic performance.
Last edited by Adam on Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Return to “2024 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”