2024 EAA Air Venture Oshkosh

Discussion relating to 2024 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:10 am

Adambadger88 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:46 am
CAF's B-24 Liberator Diamond Lil will no longer be able to appear at this event or any events this year.
As much as it sucks not to see her this year, I'm very glad the CAF is taking a proactive approach on her airworthiness.
XL446 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:16 am Right, so the day after I have booked my flights to the US to attend AirVenture it turns out that the EAA have ticked another box in the "maximize your visitors' potential" checklist. Prime estate for those who like to photograph proceedings on or above the main runway turned into yet another garden party event venue. Not to mention that all the vintage aircraft parked in that area will now have a big white tent and assorted signage as their background. Oh, well, there's really only one aircraft I'm still hoping to photograph over the 36L threshold (the BAHF KC-97), so when that's done, there'll be no more need to return.
(For clarity's sake: to the best of my knowledge there are no plans for the KC-97 to come to Oshkosh this year. As far as I know the engine hasn't been changed yet, so it's not flying yet.)
I'm more than happy to plop a chair down and enjoy it all.

As for the C-97, I know the BAHF made a deal with the group in Greybull, WY that specializes in C-97s & KC-97s for a ton of spare parts and several engines and it was a matter of getting it all east. That information might be a bit dated as I hadn't done any research on their progress.
0 x

Ohareplanespotter21

Post by Ohareplanespotter21 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:28 am

Does anyone know if the F5B going to thunder over Michigan also plans on attending airventure this year?
0 x

avravalleyaviation

Post by avravalleyaviation » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:17 am

XL446 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:16 am Right, so the day after I have booked my flights to the US to attend AirVenture it turns out that the EAA have ticked another box in the "maximize your visitors' potential" checklist. Prime estate for those who like to photograph proceedings on or above the main runway turned into yet another garden party event venue. Not to mention that all the vintage aircraft parked in that area will now have a big white tent and assorted signage as their background. Oh, well, there's really only one aircraft I'm still hoping to photograph over the 36L threshold (the BAHF KC-97), so when that's done, there'll be no more need to return.
(For clarity's sake: to the best of my knowledge there are no plans for the KC-97 to come to Oshkosh this year. As far as I know the engine hasn't been changed yet, so it's not flying yet.)
Emailed the BAHF last week to see if they had any plans to bring the C-97 or C-54 to Airventure, and so far no response.

Although it’s unlikely it would be absolutely incredible to see the Angel of Deliverance flying on the circuit again
0 x

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:01 am

I would be shocked if the C-97 made it this year. There is no indication of recent work and the aircraft needs a lot of it after sitting outside at Reading for years.
Last edited by kalamazookid on Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Matt

Kieran

Post by Kieran » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:24 pm

Adambadger88 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:12 pm Next on SocialFlight Live! - EAA AirVenture 2024 Preview with Jack Pelton, Tue Apr 16th 8pm ET

Get a sneak preview of EAA AirVenture 2024 with Jack Pelton.

https://applauncher.gotowebinar.com/#no ... 1205/en_US
Did this happen? I can't seem to load the webpage.
0 x

passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:47 pm

avravalleyaviation wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:17 am
Emailed the BAHF last week to see if they had any plans to bring the C-97 or C-54 to Airventure, and so far no response.

Although it’s unlikely it would be absolutely incredible to see the Angel of Deliverance flying on the circuit again
Here's an article that was written in 2022 about the C-97 and the adventure to get parts and get it running: http://www.proplinerinfoexchange.com/ba ... esc-97.htm

I will say this: If the BAHF has to focus its time and efforts on the C-54D and the airshow schedule, that will put getting the C-97 back in the air on the back burner. Most of the guys on the BAHF come from all over with all different backgrounds (their VP is a teacher) so it's a bit difficult to get them all together with the exception of an airshow. I do truly believe they'll get the C-97 repaired and back flying by the end of 2025 at the latest. It'll be back up and running well before the P-61 the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum is restoring to flying condition, and I doubt I'll be alive to see that.

From what I can gather, they've been hard at work getting the C-54D in the air for this year's tour schedule. I think I had seen them post on social media they're scheduled to be at Charleston, SC this weekend.
0 x

BruceK

Post by BruceK » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:27 pm

In regards to BAHF, they've posted dates for the early part of the season:

-Charleston AFB, SC April 19,20,21 Static Display/Public tours
-Atlanta, GA Peachtree Dekalb Airshow May 11, 2024 Static Display/Public tours
-Dover AFB Delaware May 18,19 Static Display/Public tours
-Reading, PA World War II Weekend Static display June 7,8, and 9 C-54 and C-97 on display/Public tours
-Lockhaven, PA Annual Sentimental Journey event June 22 thru June 28 Pending/Not confirmed
-Goshen, Indiana July 13, 2024 Static Display/Public tours
-Angola, Indiana July 15 thru July 19 Static display/Public tours

A week ago someone asked about a C-97 update and their response was "not yet. A newsletter will be forthcoming."
0 x

Adambadger88

Post by Adambadger88 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:49 am

Founder of SocialFlight Jeff Simon conducted an interview with EAA CEO & Chairman of the Board Jack J. Pelton for his SocialFlight Live series. The two discussed the upcoming EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2024, Modernization of Special Airworthiness Certificates (MOSAIC), and removing lead from aviation gasoline. Jack discloses that Scaled Composites will be bringing their Model 401 to the event. NASA is bringing either the X36 or the X40? Forgive me if I heard it wrong, but the time stamp is around 38:20. The new Blue Angels documentary (2023) will be screened at EAA's Fly-in Theater, located at Camp Scholler, the official campground for attendees at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh.

At 55:00 in the video, Jack hinted at the possibility of an appearance by the de Havilland Mosquito T.43 ZK-PWL/NZ2308.

Last edited by Adambadger88 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:18 am, edited 5 times in total.
0 x

sean0471

Post by sean0471 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:28 am

Interesting,

The X-36 and X-40 no longer fly, with both being experimental testbeds. The X-40 is an unpowered glider that tested lifting bodies, with that being said the X-40 could fit in a trailer while the X-36 would need a very technical transport. So I'm going to guess it will be an X-40 on static.

I'd love to see the BONE back this year, one can only hope. Gonna be a great show regardless!
1 x

Return to “2024 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”