2024 CenterPoint Energy Dayton Air Show

Discussion relating to 2024 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:32 am

reddevils127 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:38 pm Looking at the tickets for next year's show, they added the p51 club which is to the right show line near the jet team parking. I sent an email to clarify where exactly this was located and received the reply stating "the photo pit is no more and the p51 club took over that area" in other words, screwing over all the photographers once again. So heads up when everyone goes out there to buy tickets, photo pit area is no more!
I've been to Dayton many times, including the big 2003 airshow, and as a casual spectator it seems like this airshow has had smaller general admission seating areas as the years went on. It's not the only airshow doing that. They still had a pretty decent line of sight of the show area the last time I was there, and I'm sure off the photographers would be able to adapt.
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:06 pm

0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:51 pm

Latest Addition
- USAF F-16 Viper Demo Team
0 x

bisonaviation1217

Post by bisonaviation1217 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:56 am

Per 2024 ICAS Calendar
-US Army Golden Knights
0 x

Mlamb99

Post by Mlamb99 » Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:11 am

I agree. I noticed this last year with the Columbus airshow. I dont understand why these shows are doing this to all the photographers who are basically supporting the show and provide free advertising. I realize that they can sell tickets to these areas for more money but how much space is a photo pit really going to occupy and would it kill those in these new areas if they were 20' further down the flight line. I am sure most all of the people in those areas would not know the differece in seeing the mirror image pass or 99% of the other stunts from slightly off center.
0 x

jhtolatc

Post by jhtolatc » Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:30 am

The 2022 relocation of the photo pit, and the promotion of the club and corporate seating, really shows where the organizers' priorities lie anymore. Here's a shot I took last year demonstrating the obscured view of show center from the photo pit.Image"Wall of Fire" by Jeff Hormann, on Flickr
0 x

passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:35 am

jhtolatc wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:30 am The 2022 relocation of the photo pit, and the promotion of the club and corporate seating, really shows where the organizers' priorities lie anymore. Here's a shot I took last year demonstrating the obscured view of show center from the photo pit.
Mlamb99 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:11 am I agree. I noticed this last year with the Columbus airshow. I dont understand why these shows are doing this to all the photographers who are basically supporting the show and provide free advertising. I realize that they can sell tickets to these areas for more money but how much space is a photo pit really going to occupy and would it kill those in these new areas if they were 20' further down the flight line. I am sure most all of the people in those areas would not know the differece in seeing the mirror image pass or 99% of the other stunts from slightly off center.
If the VIP and corporate seating is what brings in the big bucks, I don't fault an airshow for pushing and prioritizing that. They'll likely sell more tickets or seats at a higher price and a bigger and better ROI. I believe there was a related discussion about this elsewhere. I've been to dozens of different airshow locations over the last 35+ years and have seen the trend of more and more paid, tented, and VIP-centric areas at not just civilian airports but also at military bases. I learned it's one way of keeping the sponsors happy because you don't know if the sponsorship dollars will be there for the next event, and of course to bring in even more cash from the paying public. I get that. Airshows aren't cheap.

This part doesn't just apply to this airshow, it's for all airshows, but as for photographers and "free advertising", I don't see the benefit this kind of free advertising does. I recall a conversation I had with a friend and the general consensus I got was that several airshows were going to do away with providing access to photographers a la photo pit where others were also going to no longer provide them access on Friday (and free access for Saturday and/or Sunday) unless they were working for a true news outlet because it wasn't worth the time and effort or because of bad behavior.

Like I said earlier, photographers will have to adapt to the changes, and I'm sure most of you will and still get some great content.
Last edited by passedgas46 on Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

jhtolatc

Post by jhtolatc » Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:19 am

passedgas46 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:35 am
jhtolatc wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:30 am The 2022 relocation of the photo pit, and the promotion of the club and corporate seating, really shows where the organizers' priorities lie anymore. Here's a shot I took last year demonstrating the obscured view of show center from the photo pit.
Mlamb99 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:11 am I agree. I noticed this last year with the Columbus airshow. I dont understand why these shows are doing this to all the photographers who are basically supporting the show and provide free advertising. I realize that they can sell tickets to these areas for more money but how much space is a photo pit really going to occupy and would it kill those in these new areas if they were 20' further down the flight line. I am sure most all of the people in those areas would not know the differece in seeing the mirror image pass or 99% of the other stunts from slightly off center.
If the VIP and corporate seating is what brings in the big bucks, I don't fault an airshow for pushing and prioritizing that. They'll likely sell more tickets or seats at a higher price and a bigger and better ROI. I believe there was a related discussion about this elsewhere. I've been to dozens of different airshow locations over the last 35+ years and have seen the trend of more and more paid, tented, and VIP-centric areas at not just civilian airports but also at military bases. I learned it's one way of keeping the sponsors happy because you don't know if the sponsorship dollars will be there for the next event, and of course to bring in even more cash from the paying public. I get that. Airshows aren't cheap.

This part doesn't just apply to this airshow, it's for all airshows, but as for photographers and "free advertising", I don't see the benefit this kind of free advertising does. I recall a conversation I had with a friend and the general consensus I got was that several airshows were going to do away with providing access to photographers a la photo pit where others were also going to no longer provide them access on Friday (and free access for Saturday and/or Sunday) unless they were working for a true news outlet because it wasn't worth the time and effort or because of bad behavior.

Like I said earlier, photographers will have to adapt to the changes, and I'm sure most of you will and still get some great content.
Just checked the website, and sure enough, the photo pit is no more. The thing is, the photography area at Dayton was never free access, it was significantly more expensive than general admission, and I'm sure most of the photo pit regulars would have been happy paying even more than we did for better viewing, or now, for just keeping the area in existence. I always found the photo pit/tour at Dayton the best deal in airshows.

The most significant advantage for me, as a photographer who attended the show by myself, was having a cordoned off area where my seat and photography gear would be protected when I needed to attend to food or restroom needs. That alone was worth an additional cost. The elimination of this area has me questioning my future attendance.
0 x

passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:09 pm

jhtolatc wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:19 am Just checked the website, and sure enough, the photo pit is no more. The thing is, the photography area at Dayton was never free access, it was significantly more expensive than general admission, and I'm sure most of the photo pit regulars would have been happy paying even more than we did for better viewing, or now, for just keeping the area in existence. I always found the photo pit/tour at Dayton the best deal in airshows.

The most significant advantage for me, as a photographer who attended the show by myself, was having a cordoned off area where my seat and photography gear would be protected when I needed to attend to food or restroom needs. That alone was worth an additional cost. The elimination of this area has me questioning my future attendance.
I've seen the same thing at other locations, too. General admission being one price but wanting access to a "photo pit" means you pay five or six times more. Heck, I've personally seen one location provide pricing for a photo pit that was in the same price point I quoted and then come show days, the view became partially obstructed the entire show by support vehicles driving in front or parking in front/next to said pit. I'm not sure if that was poor planning or an proverbial giant middle finger to the photographers by the producer.

I'm sure there's some good areas remaining for you and others - just have to be one of the first five people in line. If it means getting in line at 6 am and waiting patiently for a couple hours then it is what it is; just ask the one guy from New York who does this (well, did... been several years since I was there) in Reading, PA every June what time he showed up to be number one in line!
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:06 pm

Latest Addition
- Greg Koontz
https://gkairshows.com/schedule.html
0 x

Return to “2024 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”