First State Airshow 2024

Discussion relating to 2024 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
jpujol

Post by jpujol » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:45 pm

F-16 probably from NJ 177 FW, but 20th FW might surprise us with a jet.

Hope the 1st FW sends an F-22 for Static. They've had either a static F-22 or F-22 Demo the past several years.
0 x

passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:01 am

I have no doubt that there will be a full ramp of aircraft. That's been the case at every Dover airshow for as long as I can remember.

As for performers, I wonder if we'll have an airshow like in 2017 where we had a stacked lineup of civilian and military acts even with a major jet team. It's still looking a bit thin...
0 x

passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:54 pm

Just like in 2022, here's a few things for you all to consider if you're thinking about going to Dover this year:

1. There are several hotels in Dover, but most are on US-13 and closer to the Speedway than they are to the base but on a good day they are still within a 15 minute drive. Keep your stuff locked up and out of sight.

2. Delaware Route 1 is tolled and between 7 pm Friday and 11 pm Saturday, the toll by the Speedway goes from $1 to $3, as does the one after that big cable-stayed bridge if you're coming from Wilmington or out-of-state. As a former Delaware resident I'd recommend coming down early Friday to avoid that toll increase.

3. The Air Mobility Command Museum should be open their normal hours the week of the airshow. The outdoor ramp area is awesome for watching air ops at the base though the view might be obscured by C-5s and C-17s being temporarily parked there.

4. If Joe decides he wants to be at home in Greenville or at his Rehoboth Beach shore house, I don't think that'll affect the airshow.

My wife and I will be down that way beginning Thursday.
0 x

jpujol

Post by jpujol » Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:13 pm

Lets hope we do not get the 90 degrees we had in May 2022. Remember that?

Saturday was unbearable. People were dropping out all over the place on Saturday.

Sunday was a bit less humid, but still very hot.

May should not be that hot. One of the reasons they have the show in May.
0 x

passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:23 pm

David Schultz Airshows posted a static display list that mirrors the website but also mentions a C-54D. I did some additional digging and confirmed it's the BAHF bird. The BAHF confirmed this via Facebook.

In the whole grand scheme of things, there isn't a whole lot in the flying display. If anything it's maybe two and a half hours of flying at most. If what we see now ends up being the finalized lineup, this is going to be a great letdown compared to the last three Dover shows.
0 x

CultOfTheWyvern

Post by CultOfTheWyvern » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:29 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if we at least got a warbird segment, as Schultz shows seem to like to put up three or four of them. Although I'd not be opposed to Panchito getting her own solo slot, as it's quite a nice display. (Too much to hope for that Cargo Heritage Flight again?) Wouldn't be surprised if one more civvie act got added late, but yeah, slightly smaller than the last edition...

Still looking forward to it. I haven't been to an air show at Dover yet, just to the museum a few times.
0 x

passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:13 am

CultOfTheWyvern wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:29 pm I wouldn't be surprised if we at least got a warbird segment, as Schultz shows seem to like to put up three or four of them. Although I'd not be opposed to Panchito getting her own solo slot, as it's quite a nice display. (Too much to hope for that Cargo Heritage Flight again?) Wouldn't be surprised if one more civvie act got added late, but yeah, slightly smaller than the last edition...
Having both U.S. jet teams at one airshow means you're going to have three or four fewer acts, unless the airshow begins before 10 am and ends at 4:30 pm! I remember the 2017 (Thunderbirds) and 2019 (F-22 demo) shows being very long, something on the order of nearly 20 separate parts of each show day.

As for acts, it looks like most airshows with C-17 demos are getting Cargo Heritage Flights. Be nice to see that again, maybe even a C-17 airdrop demo. And speaking of the C-17, it'd be nice to see the actual demo and not a flyby and a half like in 2022. I heard about another aerobatic act on the list but nobody's made a mention of it, so I'd rather wait on David's team to confirm that if indeed true.

It's a little more than a month away and the entire family (plus myself) is looking forward to it. My wife and I are planning to spend all day Thursday at the AMC Museum and have an invite to go on base Friday and everyone else is coming down for Saturday and Sunday.
CultOfTheWyvern wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:29 pm Still looking forward to it. I haven't been to an air show at Dover yet, just to the museum a few times.
You'll enjoy it.
0 x

Cameron Walz

Post by Cameron Walz » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:51 pm

New addons just announced.

More to the static list:

F-15 Eagle
OA-1 Bird Dog
L-17 Navion
DHC-1 Chipmunk
DHC-82 Tiger Moth
T-28 Trojan
T-6 Texan
UH-1 Iroquois
B-52 Stratofortress
KC-135 Stratotanker

New performers:
Precision Exotic Cars
Extreme Flight with Pat McAlee
Smoke-n-Thunder Jet Truck
0 x

passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:42 am

Cameron Walz wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:51 pm New addons just announced.

New performers:
Precision Exotic Cars
Okay, I've been to many airshows over the decades and I feel like I've seen just about every major civilian act that's out there, and if I haven't, I'm sure I've heard of it somewhere.

I'm familiar with the Smoke & Thunder Jet Car (dragster, actually) and have seen the great Scott Hammack drive it many times - I believe a gentleman named Bill drives it now and it's had so many different paint schemes or wraps over the last 25+ years. Can someone elaborate what the "Smoke-n-Thunder Jet Truck" is and who drives it? I've asked my go-to source and he says he's not sure, also has never heard of it - which is a surprise, and thinks it's a typo.

Patrick McAlee's becoming a fan favorite in this part of the country... he's no Skip Stewart, Jim LeRoy (Remember him? I enjoyed his flying!), or Sean Tucker when it comes to aerobatics; my family definitely enjoys seeing him fly.
Last edited by passedgas46 on Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Bretten Bailey

Post by Bretten Bailey » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:44 am

passedgas46 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:42 am
Cameron Walz wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:51 pm New addons just announced.

New performers:
Precision Exotic Cars
Okay, I've been to many airshows over the decades and I feel like I've seen just about every major civilian act that's out there, and if I haven't, I'm sure I've heard of it somewhere.

I'm familiar with the Smoke & Thunder Jet Car (dragster, actually) and have seen the great Scott Hammack drive it many times - I believe a gentleman named Bill drives it now and it's had so many different paint schemes or wraps over the last 25+ years. Can someone elaborate what the "Smoke-n-Thunder Jet Truck" is and who drives it? I've asked my go-to source and he says he's not sure and thinks it's a typo.
Not a typo. It's the "HOT STREAK II" Jet Truck driven by Hayden Proffitt II. It's the '57 Chevy Jet Truck that was formerly owned by Les Shockley and known as "Super Shockwave".
0 x
Bretten Bailey - Aerial Actions Airshows & Ballooning

Return to “2024 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”