Camera Suggestions

A place to talk photography gear, techniques, etc.
avi8orj

Camera Suggestions

Post by avi8orj » Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:41 pm

Hi all,

I currently have a Canon M50 Mk2 which is decent but I would like to upgrade to something better for videoing both at airports (typically from the sides and ends of the runway), as well as airshows. My budget is about £1500/$1800 and I would like to shoot in 4K30fps at least (60fps would be a bonus). Ideally it will have decent IS but I will do some editing in post to make it smoother if necessary. Also decent low light capability is preferable as well as decent zoom. I am really torn between getting a camcorder or a mirrorless/bridge.

I have been looking at the Sony RX10 IV and the Panasonic HC-X1500. I have also seen some results with the Sony AX-53 and despite being a lot cheaper, it also looks fairly decent. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Last edited by avi8orj on Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:08 am

avi8orj wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:41 pm Hi all,

I currently have a Canon M50 Mk2 which is decent but I would like to upgrade to something better for videoing both at airports (typically from the sides and ends of the runway), as well as airshows. My budget is about £1500/$1800 and I would like to shoot in 4K30fps at least (60fps would be a bonus). Ideally it will have decent IS but I will do some editing in post to make it smoother if necessary. Also decent low light capability is preferable as well as decent zoom. I am really torn between getting a camcorder or a mirrorless/bridge.

I have been looking at the Sony RX10 IV and the Panasonic HC-X1500. I have also seen some results with the Sony AX-53 and despite being a lot cheaper, it also looks fairly decent. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
The AX53 is a great camcorder, it will do 4k/30 with fantastic stabilization, and it's well within the budget. I only shoot handheld so a camcorder is a must. I can't find any camera for under $4000 that I would rather shoot with.

Sounds like you're already ok with shooting with an SLR though. Almost any modern SLR will probably top the AX53 for image quality and likely low light performance. Do you already use a powered zoom lens on your current camera or do you twist it by hand? Smooth zoom is another reason to go for a camcorder.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

avi8orj

Post by avi8orj » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:43 am

Hi @RyanS

Thank you for your reply! I think I'm settling on the AX53, it sounds like it does a great job considering the price. I need to twist my current lens which really affects the stability of the video so camcorder zoom will be a welcome change.
1 x