Videography and copyrighted music on YouTube

A place to talk photography gear, techniques, etc.
Adam

Post by Adam » Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:49 am

To be fair to the dedicated video cameras, stabilising a 5x zoom lens is a lot easier than stabilising a 20x zoom lens! And if Apple do put a bigger zoom on a later iPhone, then all other factors being equal you can expect the quality of the stabilisation to drop noticably.

The AX53 has an incredible one-of-a-kind system in which the lens assembly 'floats' on a system of multiple gimbals inside the camera body. You can shake the camera around and watch as the lens stays still. It's by far and away the best stabilisation you'll find on any handheld camera with a decent zoom on it, although it doesn't behave in quite the same way as an iPhone's stabilisation, being a 'dumb' mechanical system that simply reacts to whatever forces act upon it with no intelligent software at play.

Yes, the bitrate on the Sony is a little limited (but remember it's 2015 tech) and that was one reason beside proper manual controls that I upgraded to the Panasonic HC-X1500. The Pana tops out at 4K/60fps filming at 200mbps which is more than enough - I don't think even the cinema cameras I get to use on pro shoots go much higher than that. I think the X1500 it's the only 'prosumer' camcorder that will get you that kind of recording quality and a respectable zoom (24x optical).

(One other advantage of the Panasonic which I don't think the Sony has - and which the iPhone doesn't seem to have either based on that you linked to - is an audio limiter, so if you accidentally set the levels too high it'll limit the input at -0.1dB and avoid any peaking, which is the pervasive crackling sound that can be heard for example at 07:22)
Last edited by Adam on Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator