Abbotsford International Airshow 2019

Discussion relating to 2019 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.

SnowbirdsFanatic

Post by SnowbirdsFanatic » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:29 pm

Awesome pics Airshow Addict!! I just posted some frequency updates for the show in the General radio forum in case you missed it 😁
1 x
Gary 8-)

Airshow Addict

Post by Airshow Addict » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:19 pm

Was nice to meet you last week. Thanks for the updates!
0 x

JA Boomer

Post by JA Boomer » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:56 pm

Well, my eighteenth consecutive Abbotsford Air Show has come and gone. It was probably the most disjointed of my Abby experiences for a few reasons: rain, being the first airshow with my daughter (11 months old), and my mom getting sick on Friday. Abby is usually a family vacation for us.

Friday was a good time, had trouble getting in (1+ hour). Toured static and watched the tailhook passes. Left early to get my girl into bed.

Saturday traffic wasn't quite as bad only because I took a different route. Toured static again when the rain slowed things down. My little girl wouldn't keep her ear protection on, and wouldn't let us cover her ears with a blanket (it's harder then it sounds) so the CF-18 was stressful haha. Went home during the Snowbirds when we realized the Thunderbirds were not performing. My little one loved watching all the people, and she did watch some of the flying performances which I wasn't expecting.

Sunday traffic was a breeze. Unfortunately it started to rain early on and my family bailed - my parents only got to see 30 minutes of airshow! I decided to stay and I'm glad I did. I hit static again during the rain, and was rewarded with the CF-18, Thunderbirds, and Snowbirds when the skies opened up in the afternoon. Walked out to the campground where my wife picked me up after the show.

Monday also felt disjointed. Usually 80% of the military aircraft leave between 9-11 AM and it's fairly steady action. This year felt like one takeoff every 30 minutes all morning. I had to leave before the heavies (2 x C-17, C-5, and KC-10) departed. Let me say thank you to those of you who encouraged me to switch from Huntingdon to Clearbrook. Although I missed being able to see what aircraft were getting ready to depart, seeing and photographing the flying instead of takeoff rolls was much better. If you were on Clearbrook I was the fellow in the back of the black Silverado pickup.

Cons: traffic (always seems to be the case now). Deleting the pre-paid entrance was a good decision I think (did anyone drive into the Queens St. entrance this year?), but a better payment and parking system is required. Rain (nothing you can do about it), definitely the wettest Abby I've been too.

Pros: The family club seating was fantastic, everyone thought it was a worthwhile upgrade from our runway seating. Great food options this year, the lines were nuts on Saturday. Rain - I don't usually get to spend as much time trolling the static display as I'd like (because I'm usually obsessed with taking pictures of the flying) but I this year I spent a lot of time talking to aircrew and it was great - even learned a thing or two. Of course did my yearly shopping at the C-5 haha. The Thunderbirds - for finding a way to make it happen on Sunday, and some impressive solo takeoffs Monday.

Pictures forthcoming. Here's the boom operator's station from the KC-135R.
KC-135 (3).JPG
KC-135 (3).JPG (300.96 KiB) Viewed 15948 times
Last edited by JA Boomer on Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
2 x

lukas97

Post by lukas97 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:03 pm

Was a pleasure to have the turnout of heavies we did this year. The highlight for me was definitely the German A-400! Just a cool aircraft and one I hope to see again in the future! Here's video of their arrival and departure! More to come!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au5Pv8D ... e=youtu.be
2 x
Erickson Aviation Media

Airshow Addict

Post by Airshow Addict » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:15 pm

Not to often we get to see our RCAF CC-177 Globmaster III do a demo at a airshow. It was a great treat to have it this year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl7KSvHuEdE
1 x

JA Boomer

Post by JA Boomer » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:30 pm

Some of my best while dealing with this years' challenging lighting:
CF-181.JPG
CF-181.JPG (95.14 KiB) Viewed 15854 times
Thunderbirds1.JPG
Thunderbirds1.JPG (80.13 KiB) Viewed 15854 times
Thunderbirds2.JPG
Thunderbirds2.JPG (115.73 KiB) Viewed 15854 times
Warbirds (19).JPG
Warbirds (19).JPG (102.67 KiB) Viewed 15854 times
Snowbirds2.JPG
Snowbirds2.JPG (100.29 KiB) Viewed 15854 times
3 x

AIAS

Post by AIAS » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:17 pm

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to say a quick word of thanks to all of your who waited patiently through some challenging weather this past weekend. The only two days of rain in the last 20 days couldn't have come at a worse time for us unfortunately.

Another quick word of thanks to those of you who are helping explain how difficult adjusting the flying events schedule is to others on social media who don't quite understand. As most of you know, the Thunderbirds require almost a 3-hour gap between commercial flight arrivals/departures to fly their show because we have to sterilize the terminal building and in the end, the decision to fly or not is completely up to the team based on safety factors. They don't customize a routine for every weather condition because consistency is one of the keys to their season-long safety. We as organizers were as disappointed as the audience that them flying wasn't possible on Saturday.

We love seeing your photos and videos rolling in. Please share them with us on social as well and use #abbyairshow. If you want to share any photos or videos with us directly, please send to [email protected]. If you do, save with your name in the filename so we know the credit.
3 x

AvgeekJoe

Post by AvgeekJoe » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:38 pm

AIAS wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:17 pm Hey everyone,

Just wanted to say a quick word of thanks to all of your who waited patiently through some challenging weather this past weekend. The only two days of rain in the last 20 days couldn't have come at a worse time for us unfortunately.

Another quick word of thanks to those of you who are helping explain how difficult adjusting the flying events schedule is to others on social media who don't quite understand. As most of you know, the Thunderbirds require almost a 3-hour gap between commercial flight arrivals/departures to fly their show because we have to sterilize the terminal building and in the end, the decision to fly or not is completely up to the team based on safety factors. They don't customize a routine for every weather condition because consistency is one of the keys to their season-long safety. We as organizers were as disappointed as the audience that them flying wasn't possible on Saturday.

We love seeing your photos and videos rolling in. Please share them with us on social as well and use #abbyairshow. If you want to share any photos or videos with us directly, please send to [email protected]. If you do, save with your name in the filename so we know the credit.
No, thank you Abby Airshow.

This year has been tough on Joe A. Kunzler. "My" OLF Coupeville this American civilian sticks up for at risk in the courts, some transit disputes heating up, and more.

For four days - counting departure day - I could take a vacation from all of that. I could celebrate aviation with acquaintances and friends alike. I could finally sit in a Eurofighter cockpit, see my local flying museum perform with the US Navy in the Abby sunset, photograph an A400M, get unique pictures, watch Canada's flight demo teams tear it up on home airfield, and get some jolly good afterburner pictures.

Frankly I rather liked the vape vest we got last weekend also, if not the rain and low cloud delay. Plus the sunset show was a big rock star hit!

Take a bow Abbotsford! :-)
1 x

Airshow Addict

Post by Airshow Addict » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:50 pm

F-18 Super Hornet passes at the 2019 Abbotsford International Airshow. Glad we got this unexpected show! Abbotsford Airshow is always full of surprises!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_csi7nEXUU
2 x

Return to “2019 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”